Mark UK

NHS as a tourist

24 posts in this topic

Hi, gang,

For the first time since I left the UK, I'm returning for a vacation/holiday in a couple of weeks!

I was talking to my Dad last night and he mentioned that I should make sure that I have health coverage while I'm over there. Now, growing up, I always thought that the NHS was free at the point of need, especially to UK citizens (I'm actually both a UK and a US citizen now). But he said that he thought it was only free to UK -residents- as they pay taxes and fund the NHS.

I'm still a UK citizen, but no longer a resident (though I do still use my parents' address for correspondence and still have an open checking account). My wife is a US citizen and is not a UK citizen.

If something was to happen that requires us to visit casualty, would we be bankrupted like we would be over in the US? Is it free for me? Or free for my wife? Might my current health care company cover the cost?

TIA,

Mark

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

From what I've read, if you require emergency services that don't result in hospitalization, you'll not be charged, but if you need to be admitted, you will be charged. However, as Robin noted, your US health insurance may very well cover you should you fall ill while abroad.

I was visiting the UK to study abroad and got swimmer's ear. I went to the local surgery to try and get something to help. Even with my traveler's health insurance they wanted me to pay 80 pounds right then and there before I was even allowed to talk to the doctor. Needless to say I walked out. I did end up finding a clinic where the nurse took me for free and gave me the spray for my ear for no charge.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You have to be resident to get the full package.

If you go to a Doctor's Surgery you pay theoretically.

Go to ER/Hospital you do not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I am a USC and went to a clinic in the UK once. Had a urinary tract infection. I had bought insurance, and had the papers with me, but the doc didn't even ask for them or anything. He saw me, gave me antibiotics, and sent me on my way for free.

USCIS Journey

1-25-10: Mailed I-130

1-28-10: USCIS receives I-130

2-02-10: USCIS initiates processing

3-25-10: I-130 approved

-- Two months wasted waiting for case number which was already assigned without notifying us. >=( --

-- In the long run, not a bad thing, as we saved up more money. --

NVC Journey:

4-05-10: NVC initiates processing

6-01-10: Paid AOS fee / Completed DS-3032

6-04-10: Paid IV fee

6-10-10: Mailed AOS

6-14-10: NVC receives AOS

7-06-10: Mailed DS-230

7-15-10: NVC receives DS-230

7-23-10: Medical exam appointment

8-04-10: SIF & Case Closed

8-13-10: Interview letter received

9-09-10: Visa interview in London at 8:30 am ***APPROVED!***

Filed: Timeline

I lived there for several years. Week 2, i woke up covered head to toe in chickenpox. I brought my proof of US insurance, and got out my list of providers, but it turned out the closest one was an hour away. My then BF said 'sod that' and brought me to his doc's. I gave them my info, but they weren't interested. And I never got a bill, either.

Few years later, I had a bad flu. Same situation...docs didn't charge.

I kept expecting a bill in the US to come, but it never did. So there's my $1.380 ;)

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

How do they know you are no longer resident? I have open bank accounts, correspondence still sent to my parents house, NI number etc. It seems that the correct answer is you have to be a resident but in reality do they really check?

Also I belive you can make voluntary NI contributions to maintain access to state pension etc. I think the class 3 contributions entitle you to NHS coverage too.

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

Timeline

I just found this article though:

"Many expats fail to realise that they can lose the right to state healthcare under the NHS system when they move abroad. In fact, it’s commonplace amongst expats to think that if they become poorly abroad they can simply hop on a plane, pop home and have treatment. Whilst hospitals and doctors in the UK are more likely to treat you than not and not charge you, you may get away with it, but you are not necessarily within your rights to do so.However, a consultation has been launched by the Department of Health to examine whether actually the NHS should be more lenient with those Brits who spend some of their time overseas, and instead of penalising them financially if they return for treatment, costs should be applied to foreign visitors instead to prevent so-called health tourists from visiting Britain for treatment and draining the NHS further.

The consultation is welcome as far as expats are concerned – and perhaps timely as we’re aware how badly performing many NHS trusts are as they are so underfunded. If the UK can find a way to treat its citizens fairly but charge foreign visitors for care instead, surely that makes sense?

As it stands, if you spend three months or more abroad and then ‘come home’ for non-emergency care and treatment, you may be forced to pay for your care. The consultation is proposing that this three month period be extended to six, and this will mean that many of those who work abroad, retire some of the time overseas or regularly travel or live outside of the country can have free NHS treatment should they need it upon their return.

The consultation has already revealed that only about 1,500 cases a year come to light of those who are regularly abroad, sometimes in the UK and occasionally in need of NHS treatment. Therefore, these proposed changes will hardly break the bank – but will mean positive and welcome changes for expatriates living at least part of the time overseas.

At the same time, the consultation is keen to begin exploring charging foreign temporary visitors to the UK for any care they receive under the NHS. At the moment, there is no obligation on anyone to have health insurance in place if they visit the UK – what’s more, even those who do are seldom charged by an NHS hospital or doctor if they arrive seeking treatment. The consultation proposes that this situation could change, with health insurance becoming either required or advisable for all visitors to the UK in the future.

This would then allow any clinician to charge for care given, with the health insurance provider footing the bill and putting some welcome cash into the NHS. As the NHS is suffering so badly that it cannot even treat patients with the care and dignity they deserve, (see the findings of the Mid Staffordshire Hospital Inquiry), it may well be a positive gesture to ask those who are visitors to this country to pay for non-emergency care they receive on the NHS, to prevent health tourism, and to stop those who are not entitled from draining what little resources are available to British residents and temporary expatriates."

http://www.shelteroffshore.com/index.php/health/more/positive-changes-nhs-care-allowed-expatriates-returning-uk-10769

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I would expect that in the future there will be a bigger onus on people to prove that they are entitled to NHS treatment,

Which is precisely why I have my NHS treatment card safely tucked away from my doctor's surgery in Birmingham that has "this card proves you are entitled to NHS treatment" written very clearly on it. :thumbs:

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Timeline

I was visiting the UK to study abroad and got swimmer's ear. I went to the local surgery to try and get something to help. Even with my traveler's health insurance they wanted me to pay 80 pounds right then and there before I was even allowed to talk to the doctor. Needless to say I walked out. I did end up finding a clinic where the nurse took me for free and gave me the spray for my ear for no charge.

For future reference, with swimmer's ear all you need is rubbing alcohol to cure it. Tilt the head, pour it in, wait a few seconds, then drain it out.

For future reference, with swimmer's ear all you need is rubbing alcohol to cure it. Tilt the head, pour it in, wait a few seconds, then drain it out.

Really? They gave me some weird spray that you had to put in the refrigerator...

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

iteresting tidbit, Mags! I never knew that. But, I suppose it really does make sense since swimmer's ear is bacterial & alcohol is effecive at killing bacteria.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.