Mags

UK B!tches Unite!

670 posts in this topic

My b!tch for the day:

The CBP @$$hole at my husband's POE LOST his K1 visa packet, AFTER entering him in the computer as a B2 instead of a K1!!

We were able to get the local CBP deferred inspection office to fix the computer part of it, but the packet is nowhere in the system to be found, and the guy here did everything he could to try and track it. He told us that calling Chicago would be no use, because they have so many people in there daily that they'd just laugh at him if he called to ask for one file, and he's not even a supervisor. So he was nice enough to call the local USCIS office for us and spoke to a supervisor there who told him they might (hopefully) be able to reconstruct the packet based on copies I have and what's in the computer. *Fingers Crossed*

Infopass #2 tomorrow, and I hope this will get the ball rolling on reconstruction. We need them to be able to process his AOS and EAD. After all of the hoops we have to jump through, forms we have to fill out, requirements we have to meet, and fees we have to pay to get a visa, why can't these moron gubmint employees do their jobs????

And... I HATE MARY FALLIN. Our new Gubner-elect of Oklahoma!!

Edited by Dodi

Angela & Peter

usa.gift4527.gifuk.gif

K-1 Process (Condensed)

02/01/10: Took atty's bad advice and applied for B2 visa

02/16/10: B2 Visa Interview: DENIED - K1 Required

05/07/10: Atty sent I-129F Petition to Chicago Lockbox

05/31/10: Atty rec'd Petition back due to wrong location

06/01/10: I-129F pkg sent to VSC

06/11/10: NOA1 Rec'd/Touch

09/17/10: INTERVIEW = APPROVED

10/22/10: Marriage in the US

AOS Process

11/13/10: Mailed Packet to CHI Lockbox

11/18/10: NOA1 Rec'd via Text

11/20/10: Soc. Sec. fixed mistake/Processed SSN

11/23/10: Rec'd SSN

11/23/10: Touch

12/09/10: RFE - Supposedly didn't sign I-864 when I KNOW I did. (Copies to prove it.)

12/20/10: Biometrics Appt

12/20/10: RFE Response Rec'd/Processing Resumed

12/27/10: Transferred to CSC

12/29/10: Contacted Senator re: EAD Expedite Request

12/30/10: AOS Touch

12/30/10: EAD & AP Approved (Card Production Ordered)

01/05/11: AOS Touch (Rec'd @ CSC)

01/06/11: AOS Touch/EAD Mailed

01/08/11: EAD & AP Rec'd

01/10/11: AOS Touch

01/14/11: EAD Touch

01/26/11: AOS APPROVED!!

02/02/11: Green Card Received

Dodi,

I replied in your other thread, but I had another thought about how I just can't believe that they will make you reconstruct your old packet.

Surely there are more packets which get actually lost, but I don't remember hearing about that holding things up with AOS. Sure there are these medical things, but usually that's beause the package openers don't know anything. I've never heard of an RFE for "Completely missing petition packet" so assuming a couple of these get lost, it tells me that USCIS has their own records they don't need yours. I'd bet they digitize just about everything now-a-days anyway.

Also remember all the stories about how wrong even the people working at these offices get things. Churn for a bit, but don't let it delay your AOS too long, especially if you don't know that it's lost. Maybe the USCIS infopass appointment can help you find out if they have your hardcopy A-file somewhere. USCIS is much more likely to have it "in the system" than CBP in my opinion.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Ugh, sorry to hear that, Dodi. They messed up my stuff when I was coming through as well, put me in as a B2 holder, etc. I struggled to get anything out of the INFOPASS and had to go back to the airport. I hope it gets solved with minimal stress!

Thanks Prima and Jewel. My husband and other people are shocked at how strict they were. They never even had to do parallel parking, let alone back-up 50ft against a curb and not hit it. They just drove around the block. I'm not under any illusion that I'm going to pass tomorrow either, as I have the same driving instructor. When I passed there yesterday, I saw her taking someone else there to make them back up alongside the curb and I think they failed too because they had to immediately turn back around and go back to the RMV (like she had me do).

I don't know why this has to be so hard. I had bought some clothes for my new job, been looking at insurance quotes, was going to put a deposit down on an apartment... but because of this failed test, I don't think it's going to work out. She has no idea how much she may have just ruined my life. I know that sounds dramatic, but after waiting 1.5 years, everything was finally working out for me.

Filed: Timeline
("waaaaaaaah! I wanna eat pasta and salsa and bread and pizza again!"), so thank you all for expressing your kind wishes. They mean a lot.star_smile.gif

My friend is allergic to the hops in beer. He gets giant hives whenever he drinks it. Which sucks because he loves beer. So I guess the moral of the story is be thankful you're not allergic to beer. :hehe:

Dad had a really great day today - we got back to the point where he was just before the code 2 weeks ago, and everyone was smiles today. We are really hoping that we can stay on this upward trend this time!

That's so good to hear, Heather. (F)

I failed my driving test. :(

Awwww, Gemmie. (((((Hugs))))))

You're not going to fail again, though. You're going to be perfect. You just wait and see. :)

The CBP @$$hole at my husband's POE LOST his K1 visa packet, AFTER entering him in the computer as a B2 instead of a K1!!

OMG. :o:angry::bonk:

iagree.gif

I don't know why this has to be so hard. I had bought some clothes for my new job, been looking at insurance quotes, was going to put a deposit down on an apartment... but because of this failed test, I don't think it's going to work out. She has no idea how much she may have just ruined my life. I know that sounds dramatic, but after waiting 1.5 years, everything was finally working out for me.

I feel for you so much, Gemmie :( I've been reading here and there about your many struggles and was so super happy for you when you got your job offer. I can't imagine the letdown.

It's my sincerest hope that that lady was just having a cranky day during your first test and that you pass with flying colors on your second go around!

The good news is you successfully parallel parked, which a lot of people (myself included) fail miserably at. They should waive the whole curb thing just for that!

Our naturalization timeline
1/12/2015 - Application sent to Phoenix service center by USPS priority mail

1/14/2015 - Package received in Phoenix

1/16/2015 - NOA date (hard copy received 1/22)

1/20/2015 - Check cashed

2/09/2015 - Biometrics

2/11/2015 - In line for interview

3/28/2015 - Hard copy interview notice received

4/29/2015 - Interview at Chicago field office - Approved!!!

5/22/2015 - Oath ceremony - Now a US citizen!!!!!!

Thank you, VisaJourney!!!!!

"Contrary to what the cynics say, distance is not for the fearful, it is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love... It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough..."- Anonymous

an1cHsK0g000610MTNsc3wxMDAwOTk4c2F8V2Uga

Ugh, sorry to hear that, Dodi. They messed up my stuff when I was coming through as well, put me in as a B2 holder, etc. I struggled to get anything out of the INFOPASS and had to go back to the airport. I hope it gets solved with minimal stress!

Thanks Prima and Jewel. My husband and other people are shocked at how strict they were. They never even had to do parallel parking, let alone back-up 50ft against a curb and not hit it. They just drove around the block. I'm not under any illusion that I'm going to pass tomorrow either, as I have the same driving instructor. When I passed there yesterday, I saw her taking someone else there to make them back up alongside the curb and I think they failed too because they had to immediately turn back around and go back to the RMV (like she had me do).

Back up plan (no pun intended, lol) of a driving school which will administer the test for you? If you still don't pass tomorrow, maybe make a stink with the supervisor about if that last thing is on the requirements or if that lady is being overzealous.

Fingers crossed for you Gemmie!

K-1:

AOS:

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

ROC:

Thanks guys. I really hope that it goes OK tomorrow. I've been practicing every day with my in-laws, which is frustrating enough. :lol: My FIL was there when I took my test and he proceeded to tell me fifteen things that probably went against me, which made me feel lovely (especially as we think he's being too harsh - that instructor made it clear she would tell me every thing I did wrong).

Heather, my husband says driving schools here don't administer tests. I checked other branches and they were weeks away, and I've already p$ssed off the job company enough.

I thought about talking to a supervisor but she gave me the score sheet used. It says you're allowed three minor fails (such as incorrect hand positions, forgetting a blinker, failing to check blind spot)... but there is a small box of immediate fails (such as collision or forgetting seat belt). She marked me down as two immediate fails. One for 'lacks control of vehicle i.e. outside marked lines' which I have NO friggin' idea about unless she was counting hitting the curb as lacking control. And the other was 'one or more wheels rolling over a curb'. The curb isn't a usual side-of-the-road curb with straight angles. She told me to back-up down a hill and the "curb" is a curved bump at the side. So I was pretty pissed that I managed to do parallel parking and three-point turns, etc... but failed as I technically rolled up the side of the rounded curb. I'm not trying to skip responsibility, I know I should've been able to do that. But it was such a minor thing that no one else had to do during their road test that I feel cheated, especially as I had a job waiting on me.

Edited by Gemmie

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks guys. I really hope that it goes OK tomorrow. I've been practicing every day with my in-laws, which is frustrating enough. :lol: My FIL was there when I took my test and he proceeded to tell me fifteen things that probably went against me, which made me feel lovely (especially as we think he's being too harsh - that instructor made it clear she would tell me every thing I did wrong).

Heather, my husband says driving schools here don't administer tests. I checked other branches and they were weeks away, and I've already p$ssed off the job company enough.

I thought about talking to a supervisor but she gave me the score sheet used. It says you're allowed three minor fails (such as incorrect hand positions, forgetting a blinker, failing to check blind spot)... but there is a small box of immediate fails (such as collision or forgetting seat belt). She marked me down as two immediate fails. One for 'lacks control of vehicle i.e. outside marked lines' which I have NO friggin' idea about unless she was counting hitting the curb as lacking control. And the other was 'one or more wheels rolling over a curb'. The curb isn't a usual side-of-the-road curb with straight angles. She told me to back-up down a hill and the "curb" is a curved bump at the side. So I was pretty pissed that I managed to do parallel parking and three-point turns, etc... but failed as I technically rolled up the side of the rounded curb. I'm not trying to skip responsibility, I know I should've been able to do that. But it was such a minor thing that no one else had to do during their road test that I feel cheated, especially as I had a job waiting on me.

Try not to think about too much, you'll end up stressing yourself. Backing up 50 feet seems like an absurd metric for someone's driving skill. Unfortunately, these tests and regulations are not subject to logic. And just in case it helps, I had to do the back up 50 feet test years ago. My father gave me a trick that worked for me. Using your left arm, put your elbow on your knee or pin it up next to the door (above the armrest) to make sure that the steering wheel doesn't move whatsoever.

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately I can't get away with the 'keep it straight' theory (tried it many times) as not only is the road on a hill (so backing up 50ft down the side) but it's bumpy, and you need to actually adjust the wheel to keep it straight. The worst thing is that the curb disappears in the middle to make room for a driveway, so I don't even have a reference in my mirror. :unsure:

I have my test in a few hours, but I'm not feeling too positively about it. Trying to remind myself to take it slow.

Sending good vibes your way today, Gemmie!

I got my drivers license in Mass. in 1990 (gulp), and it wasn't nearly as hard as the one you're describing. I do remember that for the three-point turn, it was an automatic fail for bumping the curb or going just a little bit onto the grass, depending on where this part of the test took place. It was OK if you ended up having to do a 5-point turn to avoid this. I guess there isn't really an equivalent to this for the backing up thing...except maybe to go really slow and stop intermittently if you have to to get your bearings (is that allowed)? Actually, I have no idea what I'm talking about, so I should shut up.

Good luck! Breathe through your eyelids. :star:

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

I passed!! :dance:

As I was backing into the RMV, I saw the woman that administered my test on Tuesday and my stomach flipped. But I actually got a differnt person, a lovely man who introduced himself as Warren. He asked how I was and when I said I was scared, he gave me a speech about why I shouldn't be. And as we were setting off, he asked if I was feeling better yet, and I said "I am. You're a nice man, Warren, not that I'm trying to butter you up for a license" :lol: He said it was working. He made me feel so comfortable, and the actual test went fine other than me forgetting once to look in my blind spot. He just made me say I wouldn't do it again. I managed to back-up along the curb just fine. When he got back, he asked if I felt I needed to improve on anything and I said yes, my blind spots and not cutting off traffic on that one turn back there. And he said well done, and said to my husband in the back-seat, "the bad news is your wife now has a license and is going to use your car and your money to go shopping."

Congrats Gemmie! I think they typically try to have different examiners if you have to retake the test, as that's more fair. Sounds like it worked out well for you!

Does this mean you get to start your new job soon? And move out? And you and your hubby finally get to be on your own??? :thumbs:

K-1

I-129F NOA1 : June 1, 2010

I-129F NOA2 : June 28, 2010

Interview Date : Sept 28, 2010

Wedding: Apr 16, 2011

AOS

Approved : July 25, 2011

Thanks! The job called me back right away, and I have a health screening first thing Monday morning. The funny thing is, they're testing for all of the things I was tested for during the K1 (MMR, DTaP, HepB, TB, chickenpox, etc) but they need proof that I've had all of that. To my knowledge, we handed in the medical records at the POE? If so, here we go again! :lol:

She said she's sent me an official offer letter. She did ask about immigration status and I said I can bring the proof. She was like "Social Security will be fine"... nice to see the company screens legal status well, huh? Either way, feeling so relieved today.

Gemmmmiiie!!! I just want to jump up and down I'm thrilled for you too!

That's so great and now things are moving, and that test sounds like it was so hard but you can feel even more confident driving now, I bet!

Yay progress! :)

K-1:

AOS:

ROC:

Gemmmmiiie!!! I just want to jump up and down I'm thrilled for you too!

Me too! Yay! This calls for overuse of the dance smiley! :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Our naturalization timeline
1/12/2015 - Application sent to Phoenix service center by USPS priority mail

1/14/2015 - Package received in Phoenix

1/16/2015 - NOA date (hard copy received 1/22)

1/20/2015 - Check cashed

2/09/2015 - Biometrics

2/11/2015 - In line for interview

3/28/2015 - Hard copy interview notice received

4/29/2015 - Interview at Chicago field office - Approved!!!

5/22/2015 - Oath ceremony - Now a US citizen!!!!!!

Thank you, VisaJourney!!!!!

"Contrary to what the cynics say, distance is not for the fearful, it is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love... It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough..."- Anonymous

an1cHsK0g000610MTNsc3wxMDAwOTk4c2F8V2Uga

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.