bimik

K 1 AOS Medical Examination

6 posts in this topic

Hi !

I arrived to US on K 1 a month ago. We got married and now I am assembling I-485 package. I have a few questions concerning form I -693. I had my medical checkup in Armenia and according to the instructions I am not required to have another medical examination as long as my I-495 is filed within a year of my arrival. I also know that most of the fields of I-693 form need to be comleted by civil surgeon who will also certify the form and seal it for me.

In Armenia I received my vaccination documentation worksheet and a sealed envelope my chest X-Ray. I used civil surgeon locator on USCIS website to find surgeons in my area. I called different clinics and got slightly confused. Prices for checkup vary from 50 (if vaccination documentation worksheet is available) $ - 300 $ or higher if vaccinations need to be performed. Some clinics told them they still charge the same price weather I had my medical checkup in my coutnry of origin or nor. One of the clinics told me that to cetify vacinations, they will charge me $ 15 only but they won't certify the whole medical examination, only vaccinations. But the clinic mentioned that I need to make sure that only my vaccinations need to be certified, because sometimes people call their attorney and he/she instructs them to get the full medical examination.

Could you please shed some light what exactly do I need ?

Thank you.

Bimik

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi !

I arrived to US on K 1 a month ago. We got married and now I am assembling I-485 package. I have a few questions concerning form I -693. I had my medical checkup in Armenia and according to the instructions I am not required to have another medical examination as long as my I-495 is filed within a year of my arrival. I also know that most of the fields of I-693 form need to be comleted by civil surgeon who will also certify the form and seal it for me.

In Armenia I received my vaccination documentation worksheet and a sealed envelope my chest X-Ray. I used civil surgeon locator on USCIS website to find surgeons in my area. I called different clinics and got slightly confused. Prices for checkup vary from 50 (if vaccination documentation worksheet is available) $ - 300 $ or higher if vaccinations need to be performed. Some clinics told them they still charge the same price weather I had my medical checkup in my coutnry of origin or nor. One of the clinics told me that to cetify vacinations, they will charge me $ 15 only but they won't certify the whole medical examination, only vaccinations. But the clinic mentioned that I need to make sure that only my vaccinations need to be certified, because sometimes people call their attorney and he/she instructs them to get the full medical examination.

Could you please shed some light what exactly do I need ?

Thank you.

Bimik

Is there any way you can contact the hospital that gave you your vaccinations and get a copy of it to take with you to the Civil Surgeon so they can determine what you need? I actually did this for my husband in Jamaica. I had to type a letter for him and have him sign it saying that it was okay to release a copy of his vaccinations, even though he had his vaccination card, I wanted to see for myself what they filled out and they emailed it to me with no problem.

It varies from place to place about the I-693. We only had the vaccinations transcribed for 35.00. He needed no medical (he had it done in Jamaica before arriving in the US) He needed no shots. We had no issues.

I also suggest you read on some of the forums about the I-693. There has been a lot of conflicts with it. Good luck to you!

Edited by MRStee

Thnx. I don't think I need another medical either, I have my vaccination record and sealed Chest X ray. I just hope that they will certify the whole I-693 form and not just vaccination part.

I don't think I should be going through another medical either...

Why didn't the doctor who did your medical exam in Armenia certify it and seal it for you?

Angela & Peter

usa.gift4527.gifuk.gif

K-1 Process (Condensed)

02/01/10: Took atty's bad advice and applied for B2 visa

02/16/10: B2 Visa Interview: DENIED - K1 Required

05/07/10: Atty sent I-129F Petition to Chicago Lockbox

05/31/10: Atty rec'd Petition back due to wrong location

06/01/10: I-129F pkg sent to VSC

06/11/10: NOA1 Rec'd/Touch

09/17/10: INTERVIEW = APPROVED

10/22/10: Marriage in the US

AOS Process

11/13/10: Mailed Packet to CHI Lockbox

11/18/10: NOA1 Rec'd via Text

11/20/10: Soc. Sec. fixed mistake/Processed SSN

11/23/10: Rec'd SSN

11/23/10: Touch

12/09/10: RFE - Supposedly didn't sign I-864 when I KNOW I did. (Copies to prove it.)

12/20/10: Biometrics Appt

12/20/10: RFE Response Rec'd/Processing Resumed

12/27/10: Transferred to CSC

12/29/10: Contacted Senator re: EAD Expedite Request

12/30/10: AOS Touch

12/30/10: EAD & AP Approved (Card Production Ordered)

01/05/11: AOS Touch (Rec'd @ CSC)

01/06/11: AOS Touch/EAD Mailed

01/08/11: EAD & AP Rec'd

01/10/11: AOS Touch

01/14/11: EAD Touch

01/26/11: AOS APPROVED!!

02/02/11: Green Card Received

You don't need another medical nor anything else other than a civil surgeon's transcription services. We called many civil surgeons before our AOS, and I can tell you that most of them are not familiar with the AOS process. Many require a full medical exam and/or immunizations. You simply need to find a civil surgeon who knows the drill. We found one who performed the simple transcription in 15 minutes for about $35 or $40.

Thnx for the information guys. Well the clinic attached to the US Embassy in Armenia performed the necessary medical examination and sent it to the US Embassy. I was given only my immunization worksheet along with sealed CHest X ray. I-693 should be completed by civil surgeon in the US. I printed out the instructions where it says that K 1 visa holders do not require another medical exam and which parts need to be comleted. I will take it with me on my appointment this Saturday. Hopefully, I will have I-693 completed without any future RFEs. I was told the fee is 50 $.

Thank you for your replies !

Best,

Bimik

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.