nfs

about the employer letter and more questions

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I am currently working at a great job but it unfortunately is seasonal and ends in early September.

Then I'm flying off to see my sweetie for a month!!! :D:D:D !!!

Since we may be getting close to approval (I hope! I hope!!) I thought it would be good to bring all the items (or as many as I can) for the next step with me so she will have them there. It won't be too early to do that, will it?

I've looked at the guides but still have some questions.

In the employer letter I will get from my employer, would it be good for him to mention that the job is ending and why? Or if he just said "in good standing etc." would that be lying, considering that the job will end before the interview? Or should I even get an employer letter from him at all?

I haven't lined up another job yet for when I get back, which is too bad because my income for the year will barely qualify unless I get a REALLY good job for the last three months of 2006. But I do have a qualified co-sponsor. I'm just hoping I will not need one for the AOS step.

Another question I have: what is the reason for the duplicate or triplicate, whatever it's supposed to be, copies? Do I need to send originals and copies of everything, the co-sponsor financial data, etc? Will the co-sponsor need to include a copy (or two? or three?) of his birth certificate?

Thanks!

NOA1: April 6, 2006

IMBRA RFE: July 17, 2006

RFE #2: September 25, 2006

OMG a touch!: October 5, 2006

another touch!: October 7, 2006

hey, back up a minute...

APPROVED!!! October 4, 2006, received letter October 16, 2006

I am currently working at a great job but it unfortunately is seasonal and ends in early September.

Another question I have: what is the reason for the duplicate or triplicate, whatever it's supposed to be, copies? Do I need to send originals and copies of everything, the co-sponsor financial data, etc? Will the co-sponsor need to include a copy (or two? or three?) of his birth certificate?

Thanks!

After your case is sent to the Embassy your fiance will get packet 3 which will tell you exactly what paperwork you will need for the interview. The packet should also tell you if originals and/or copies are necessary. For our interview we provided the original and a copy--the originals were given back and the copies were kept.

If you don't have an employer letter, I would say you definitely should plan on having a co-sponsor.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Maybe it'd be a good idea to contact others going through the same consulate/embassy to find out what kind of supporting documents they want to see. The instructions on I-134 will tell you what to bring, but some consulates have different policies.

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

As I read the instructions on the employment letter they had to state the 'term of your employment' not your standing as an employee. So it would be part-time permanent, full-time permanent, full-time seasonal, such as in your case.

I wouldn't lie about it...even those little fudges cause problems when it comes to the USCIS!

And so he did what countless punk-rock songs had told him to do so many times before: he lived his life

10/07/2006 WEDDING DAY!

11/14/2006 AOS packet made it to 'the box' after being overnighted.

12/02/2006 Paul had biometrics

12/14/2006 AOS Forwarded to CSC AND AP Application approved.

01/17/2007 First touch of 2007 at CSC

01/20/2007 Touched AGAIN (also the 18th) come on...

February: Oops, RFE for a REGISTERED marriage certificate. Oops! Overnighted it.

02/28/2007 Paul gets email letting us know his GREENCARD is on it's way! It's done...for now!

03/09/2007 Paul's greencard arrives. And breathe...

We began with mailing the I-129 in on February 27, 2006 so the whole process took us approx. one year.

Good luck out there!

See PCRADDY for our official timeline.

They want the employment letter to show your income. If you are unemployed, you can't have a current employment letter and unless you have other sources of income your current income is 0. So when they ask for the employment letter, tell them you are unemployed. This may or may not cause them to deny the visa depending on your cosponsor and their willingness to accept the cosponsor. Some consulates are more willing to accept cosponsors than others and your unemployment may very well weigh in on how accepting they are.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Timeline
They want the employment letter to show your income. If you are unemployed, you can't have a current employment letter and unless you have other sources of income your current income is 0. So when they ask for the employment letter, tell them you are unemployed. This may or may not cause them to deny the visa depending on your cosponsor and their willingness to accept the cosponsor. Some consulates are more willing to accept cosponsors than others and your unemployment may very well weigh in on how accepting they are.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. It sounds like, depending on when the interview is, the employer letter will have to reflect the job I have at the time of the interview. So I shouldn't even bother to get an employer letter from my current employer??? Even if he has nice things to say about me. That means I should hope I get a job quickly when I return and that the interview will be after that, because I'm sure it is better to be employed. Or if I had a job lined up in advance could I get that employer to write a letter, even if I hadn't started working there yet?

Considering how unpredictable everything is, all these questions may answer themselves, but if anyone has anything to add I'd appreciate it.

I'm also curious if anyone here has ever had a co-sponsor, and thus the visa, denied?

hey, back up a minute...

I don't know about the consulate in Russia. What I do know is that the consulate in Manila will not entertain a cosponsor for K visas. They deny K visas there often because of income.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Recommend you go to the regional forums and ask the questions about co-sponsor and reasons for denial at the embassy. Each embassy is different. You might also use this link to read up on the embassy at the source. Some of them listed give good info some dont.

Embassy list

June 05 Lisa and I fall in love

15 Mar 06 I-129F received at CSC NOA1

5 Aug 06 NOA2 after 143 days in CSC purgatory

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

16 Feb 07 Denial Letter received

12 Mar 07 Motion to reconsider submitted

10 Sep 07 Motion to Reconsider denied

9 May 08 Lisa and Married in United Kingdom

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

May 7 09 Lisa's Interview I 601 filed

29 Jul 09 I-601 waiver approved

18 Aug 09 Passport to London Embassy

20 Aug 09 Tickets purchased for 10 Sep 09

WE HAVE FINALLY WON, OUR LONG AND HARD JOURNEY IS COMPLETE!!!!!!

Timeline
Recommend you go to the regional forums and ask the questions about co-sponsor and reasons for denial at the embassy. Each embassy is different. You might also use this link to read up on the embassy at the source. Some of them listed give good info some dont.

Embassy list

Thanks for that link dwar49! There's quite a lot of specific info there re Moscow.

hey, back up a minute...

Filed: Timeline

Mew et.al.,

The instructions for the I-134 are just that - instructions for the I-134. They are not instructions for what kind of documentation can be submitted to show that a K-visa applicant meets the public charge provisions of the law.

The I-134 itself is optional at the discretion of the consular officer for that purpose, although in most all cases the consular officers do exercise their discretion to require it.

Yodrak

Maybe it'd be a good idea to contact others going through the same consulate/embassy to find out what kind of supporting documents they want to see. The instructions on I-134 will tell you what to bring, but some consulates have different policies.

Timeline

I was just thinking...if, since my current employer (for the last three months) is very willing to write a letter, it would be possibly even slightly helpful if he wrote a letter stating that I was a good employee and that the job was ending only because it's a restaurant only open seasonally. Even if I don't have that job at the time of the interview, could that help indicate my employability? And if I had another job then, maybe I could turn in both letters? Or would it just complicate my application and be useless? Any comments?

hey, back up a minute...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

What the conof looks for is evidence that you can support your fiance, and not that you're able to find a job or that you've been a good employee. They want to make sure that your fiance won't be a burden to the government.

nfs, why not post your questions to the regional forum? http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=98

You'll find there VJers who know a lot more about what the consulate in Russia look for.

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline
What the conof looks for is evidence that you can support your fiance, and not that you're able to find a job or that you've been a good employee. They want to make sure that your fiance won't be a burden to the government.

nfs, why not post your questions to the regional forum? http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=98

You'll find there VJers who know a lot more about what the consulate in Russia look for.

thanks, Mew! I will try that.

hey, back up a minute...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.