Undefined

ive got a question for yall

49 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I want to thank everyone feedback, advice, opinions and experiences. Im not being defensive or too positive. And im trying to know more as much as I can so I can balance it out and be as prepared as I can be. But like many you said. you can be all good and if the POE woke up in a bad mood he or she can decide to not let you in. I know I gotta be calm and collected dont worry I know. But I thought this site was meant to vent and all. If I vent here I wont vent at the border lol :P anyways thanks to everyone once again :) and good luck to everyone :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You all make it so easy sometimes. And entering a Country is a ''privilege'' please that all bullcrap. Listen I appreciate everyone feedback. But we all had different experiences and you can try and convince me of whatever you want. But the truth is I stand by my opinion and I dont care how much power they have. No matter who you are what you do you have no right to accuse someone until proven guilty and sometimes even if you have ''proves'' they are false anyways. It dont matter. Thanks once again and yall need to chill. Everyone has a right to vent. That why this site was made, no? Anyways. Good luck to everyone :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You can have that attitude at the border and see what happens, they can deny you entry into the USA and it is simple as that! And the more of a fuss you put up at the border they can go further then a simple denial, they can ban you! And then the real fun begins! Yes you will continue on with the k1, you will get to the interview and yes they will know about the Ban then you will have to file a waiver!! And you think the k1 process was long! The waiver will most likely take MUCH longer!! Probably over a year!! People here are just letting you know their experiences! Seriously, no one cares more about ur case than YOU!! We all go on with our lives, were not loosing any sleep over it,lol People are just trying to be helpful! If you just get denied entry, not the end of the world! many have been denied entry, because lack of ties and has not affected their visa application! Just never lie!!!!!!! They can make your life miserable. Sure one can go hire a lawyer to fight it, but thats just $$$$$ out the window, and probably would not do much good! Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Neither Mathew or I were ever questioned at the border. Everyone was always so nice to us. He did a mix of driving and flying, and I just flew. The only problems I had were from the fact that I don't speak french and get really nervous when in situations like that. But the border guard laughed, told me I'd be fine and then wished us luck on the interview. We were never asked for evidence or pulled in to secondary. But that was OUR experience. Not everyone will have the same one.

Just relax and realize that they are doing their job. They're not being discriminatory. I would expect to have a rough time or be pulled into secondary if the BO thought that something was off and I actually appreciate it. That lets me know that they are looking and trying their hardest to protect our country. Of course that doesn't apply to a case of the "Mondays" or just generally having a rough day. That happens to the best of us and it just so happens that when they're having a bad day it can ruin our visit. It's not like at a restaurant when if someone has a bad day you don't get pickles on your burger like you asked for, when a BO has a bad day you go home broken hearted. But that's life, and it's the risk we've all had to take.

And sorry, but if you're moving to the US, you're going to be one of those "damn americans" too.

Point is, when you're at the border, be nice, honest, don't talk back and answer the questions without giving extra information. If they ask you a yes or no question all they want is a yes or a no. If they need further information after that, they'll ask. When you offer up something extra that looks nervous and then they'll start to wonder why you're so nervous. Bring your ties, or at least your NOA's. Chances are you wont need them but if you've got them it's better safe than sorry. And whatever you do, if you get pulled into secondary don't get defensive and angry. It'll only make it worse.

I am not familiar with your particular situation, my advice would go for ANYONE asking the same question.

Edited by Kayla*Mathew

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/12/17- Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

04/13/17- Credit Card Charged

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

05/22/17- Interview Scheduled

06/28/17- Interview(Approved)

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Its funny how this topic comes up every week, if not several times a week sometimes!

For sure.

At least you seem to be the smart one. If you want to respond to their question about crossing the border, all you have to say are 3 words "see my signature"!!

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Please. Entry into a foreign country is in no way a privilege. Even if you have the proper visa they can still deny you entry. It is never guaranteed, nor should it be. There is no innocent until proven guilty. They have discretionary powers, and that's just the way it is. You can ignore that and argue it all you want, but this is the reality.

I'm so done here. Good luck...

Timeline

You can have that attitude at the border and see what happens, they can deny you entry into the USA and it is simple as that! And the more of a fuss you put up at the border they can go further then a simple denial, they can ban you! And then the real fun begins! Yes you will continue on with the k1, you will get to the interview and yes they will know about the Ban then you will have to file a waiver!! And you think the k1 process was long! The waiver will most likely take MUCH longer!! Probably over a year!! People here are just letting you know their experiences! Seriously, no one cares more about ur case than YOU!! We all go on with our lives, were not loosing any sleep over it,lol People are just trying to be helpful! If you just get denied entry, not the end of the world! many have been denied entry, because lack of ties and has not affected their visa application! Just never lie!!!!!!! They can make your life miserable. Sure one can go hire a lawyer to fight it, but thats just $$$$$ out the window, and probably would not do much good! Best of luck

Please. Entry into a foreign country is in no way a privilege. Even if you have the proper visa they can still deny you entry. It is never guaranteed, nor should it be. There is no innocent until proven guilty. They have discretionary powers, and that's just the way it is. You can ignore that and argue it all you want, but this is the reality.

I'm so done here. Good luck...

Well said guys! :thumbs:

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Sure we all vent on the boards,the process is a long one. Why blow up at a person trying to give you some advice as to what CAN happen.

I am sure we can all agree it's not fair how some people get denied enter while others never have a problem. I was lucky and never had a problem and I crossed almost every weekend for the weekend.

What does getting so defensive at people trying to help do for it. NOTHING!!!!

It's one way to make sure people don't offer you any advice.

Removal of Conditions: 12/09/2011

ROC check cashed 12/15/11

NOA1 12/13/11

Biometrics 1/6/12 Complete

RFE 9/13/12

RFE package sent back 10/17/12

Card Production Ordered 12/04/12

10 year card arrived in mail 12/10/12

Timeline

Sure we all vent on the boards,the process is a long one. Why blow up at a person trying to give you some advice as to what CAN happen.

I am sure we can all agree it's not fair how some people get denied enter while others never have a problem. I was lucky and never had a problem and I crossed almost every weekend for the weekend.

What does getting so defensive at people trying to help do for it. NOTHING!!!!

It's one way to make sure people don't offer you any advice.

yep, that ignore button works very well,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I agree with you on some level. But Im sorry most POE are big time a$$holes. Doing their job or not. There is no excuse for discrimination, and being unprofessional. Most of the time POE do more harm then good for their ''Country''. But thanks for the positive feedback :)

I have a harder time just trying to come back to my own country. I find the Canadians most of the time to be more rude and like to pretend I did something bad! I once got asked at the Canadian border if I was bringing home weapons of mass destruction after a weekend in the US. I mean c'mon!

It may just be the border I use... they are always professional at the US booth and it's pretty haha. So if anyone is in Ontario, I recommend the 1000 Islands border crossing.

and on the 'positive' note, I think keeping yourself positive when you go may help as well. The way you feel reflects a lot on how people perceive you.

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/09/2014 sent in IR-1 packet to Chicago Lockbox

07/16/2014 NOA1

07/17/2014 check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2014 found out we are expecting baby #2 June 2015!

12/15/2014 NOA2

12/30/2014 Case received by NVC

03/23/2015 Received Case and Inv # from NVC after many calls and bogus excuses.

03/24/2015 AOS payment accepted by NVC

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

05/20/2015 Packet sent to NVC via UPS, eta May 28.

06/16/2015 Baby #2 due - homebirth in Scottsdale, AZ

Timeline

I have a harder time just trying to come back to my own country. I find the Canadians most of the time to be more rude and like to pretend I did something bad! I once got asked at the Canadian border if I was bringing home weapons of mass destruction after a weekend in the US. I mean c'mon!

It may just be the border I use... they are always professional at the US booth and it's pretty haha. So if anyone is in Ontario, I recommend the 1000 Islands border crossing.

and on the 'positive' note, I think keeping yourself positive when you go may help as well. The way you feel reflects a lot on how people perceive you.

HAHAHA - oh my - were you sneaking fireworks in again - weren't you :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

One comment I would like to add as a timely reminder - not just to the OP but to others as well, because the situation comes up pretty regularly that someone believes their rights have been violated at the border. Basically, when you are at the border asking for permission to enter the US, you have no rights.

The Border authorities are charged with keeping the borders safe and preventing access to anyone who, in their judgment, poses some sort of a risk to the US whether by their attitude or demeanour at the border, by their previous actions, by previous immigration activity, being listed in one of the many registries they have access to, for lack of evidence to prove identity, ties to originating country, or purpose of trip, for lack of financial resources, or anything that suggests or hints to the border officer that there may be an issue with your presence in the country. How they handle you will depend on a lot of factors, including the degree of aggression or resistance you show, your level of emotional upset, any threatening behaviour you show or have shown previously as indicated through their recorded 'history' or lists, the mood of the officer, whether he/she and his/her spouse had an argument last night, whether the border guard is tired or hungry, etc. While the border guards are supposed to treat everyone courteously, there are reasons why they may not and they can generally provide justification for their actions. You can challenge and complain about their treatment of you after you are released or turned back, but basically it is a bad idea to challenge them at the time. They are allowed to deny you entry, to detain you while they investigate and decide what actions are required, and even arrest you if they have evidence of criminal activity or threat. You have no 'Miranda' rights at the border. Everyone is viewed as being a threat of some sort to the security of the US until they prove otherwise, and the border guards are the ultimate authority. If detained, they will probably allow you to make a phone call eventually, but you do not have the right to a phone call. They may allow you to seek legal representation, but you have no right to legal representation. Please remember this - you have no rights at the border and trying to demand that you do will actually cause you problems.

So,the best advice to remember is that the onus is on you to reassure the border authorities that you are not a threat to US security. Being polite, being respectful (even if they aren't), not making demands, having proper documents and clear evidence of your identity, status, purpose of crossing and reassurance that you are not going to be some sort of a risk to any US law or regulation, including immigration, having the necessary visas or permits, and behaving appropriately will all increase the likelihood that you will have a positive experience with border officials when you request entry to the US.

http://www.cbp.gov/x...y_to_search.xml

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

one post with personal attacks removed.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

If you think people in the Canada forum are a$$holes, try going into different areas of the discussion boards. You'll be in for a surprise.

What people here are telling you is the truth. It might not be the nicest thing in the world, but it's the truth. Most (or all) of the people who have responded to your questions have gone through the K-1 or spousal visa process and we know how stressful it can be.

Remember this is a public forum and people can say what they please. Also other people can read what you're writing even if they don't respond or aren't signed up to the website. Be careful about what you type. It's happened in the past that the people at the Montreal consulate know who you are just by your timeline and if you say anything insulting, they can make your life even harder.

Keep your head up, and one good rule to follow on the internet is : don't take ANYTHING personally.

Edited for typos

Edited by Peachey

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.