dmdaisey

I134 question

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

So, I know alone, I don't make the poverty line at the moment (just got out of college, so finding the the job of choice has been difficult.) I do work teaching guitar. We have a sponsor lined up who owns 5 stores and used to be both of our employers. So, as long as I turn in all my financial info and I have that sponsor, there shouldn't be any problems? (We're going through the US Embassy in Moscow.)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The consuls can be forgiving when it comes to special cases like yours. Those who are still in college or fresh graduates are given the chance to use co-sponsors but it's advisable to get someone from your immediate family. I'm not quite sure about the regulations in Moscow but I think that as long as your co-sponsor earns enough to support himself/herself plus you and your beneficiary then your case is fine. I recently had my interview and I met someone there whose petitioner is still in college and used a co-sponsor (father). He passed the interview.

Good luck to you! I wish you the best!

K-1 TIMELINE

2-12-10: I-129F arrived at CSC

2-16-10: NOA1 issued

2-20-10: NOA1 hard copy received

4-5-10: NOA2 issued

4-9-10: NOA2 hard copy received

4-26-10: Embassy sent Toni a letter

6-9 & 11-10: Medical at SLMEC - PASSED!

7-1-10: Interview - BLUE

7-6-10: Submitted additional evidence of current sustained income (paychecks)

7-13-10: Visa Approved! (FINALLY!!!)

7-19-10: Visa Issued!

7-21-10: VISA IN HAND! (Thank God! The wait is finally over.)

8-26-10: POE: LAX

10-29-10 Wedding

AOS & EAD TIMELINE

4-1-11: AOS Package arrived at Chicago Lockbox

5-2-11: NOA issued for AOS & EAD

5-6-11: NOA hard copy received for AOS & EAD

5-6-11: Biometrics appointment letter received

5-20-11: AOS Package was transferred to CSC

5-26-11: Biometrics appointment

5-26-11: EAD approved (that was faaaaaaasst!)

10-3-11: AOS finally approved!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Consulates can also be quite difficult if they choose, it is hard to generalize.

The joint sponsor does not need to be a relative. The joint sponsor does need to be a US Citizen, US National or a LPR (legal permanent resident). The joint sponsor needs to file an I-134 the same as you, the USC.

The joint sponsor must submit sufficient proof of the claims of income on the I-134 that will be submitted for them. The documents should include:

1) Proof of Citizenship or LPR (Green Card)

2) Income Tax Transcripts or Tax returns with all schedules and W-2s, 1099s. Three years is recommended when they are self-employed.

3) Records of current year's income, usually pay stubs for the past few months but if self-employed some type of records of income for the current year.

A final note, the income level required is not the Poverty Threshold, it is 125% of the poverty threshold for the household size. So your joint sponsor needs to earn 125% of the poverty threshold for a family size of himself, your fiance(e), all of his dependents but NOT including you.

Good luck.

Naturalization N-400

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

So, I know alone, I don't make the poverty line at the moment (just got out of college, so finding the the job of choice has been difficult.) I do work teaching guitar. We have a sponsor lined up who owns 5 stores and used to be both of our employers. So, as long as I turn in all my financial info and I have that sponsor, there shouldn't be any problems? (We're going through the US Embassy in Moscow.)

I wouldn't sweat it much. I was terrified because I was in the same position as you last year, (newly out of school, having a hard time finding solid work) If you can I would try to find a co-sponsor that is an immediate relative, but if that is not an option then it most likely will not be an issue from what I have seen on here. The Moscow embassy isn't as strict as say the Vietnamese embassy, or China.... etc. My wife said when she went for her K-1 interview she handed the forms in at the window and in 20 mins she was called for the interview, nothing was said about the co-sponsor and the interview took about 5 mins. My wife said she was grilled more for her tourist visa then the k-1. Basically, get your financial stuff straight because you still have to submit the I-134 along w/ the co-sponsor as well (follow the guides on this site). Like I said, in our experience the co-sponsorship was a non-issue, but, cover yer #######!

On another note, when you go to adjust status when he/she gets to the US of A the co-sponsor can be you uncles, cousins, illegitimate love child thrice removed as long as they are a US citizen or LPR.

Edited by Chris_Жанна

K-1,VSC, Moscow Consulate

I-129F sent:2009-06-04

NOA1: 2009-06-09

NOA2: 2009-09-16

NVC Received: 2009-09-17

NVC Left: 2009-09-22

Consulate Received: 2009-09-25

Medical: IOM, Moscow, 2009-12-07

Interview: 2009-12-08

Visa Received: 2009-12-14

Arrival to USA: 2010-01-15

Marriage: 2010-03-27

AOS, EAD, AP

CIS Office: Charleston, SC

Filed AOS Package: 2010-05-26

NOA: 2010-06-04

Bio Appt: 2010-07-09

AOS Transfer to CSC: 2010-06-30

EAD Card Production Order: 2010-08-04

AP Received: 2010-08-09

ROC

I-751 sent: 2012-7-11

NOA-1: 2012-8-1

Bio-Appointment: 2012-9-19

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The consuls can be forgiving when it comes to special cases like yours. Those who are still in college or fresh graduates are given the chance to use co-sponsors but it's advisable to get someone from your immediate family.

This is generally true of the embassy in Manila, but not so much other embassies and consulates. Some almost never accept a co-sponsor, even if it's Warren Buffet and he's you're dad. Many others will accept any co-sponsor, as long as they're still breathing and meet the minimum requirements.

The embassy in Moscow isn't known to be particularly tough on co-sponsors. The OP should be fine.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.