sixstringjunkie

Need clear answer.. how many tax returns, w-2's they really need?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've been getting different answers from different people. I need just one clear answer.

I plan on sending my fiance my 2005 w-2, and 1040. On my fiances k packet letter it says include the most recent so thats what I assume but I heard that they want the last 3 years tax returns and w-2's?

Can anyone tell me if they want this all this?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The requirement has recently changed to most recent. If your employment history is stable and income is sufficient that should be ok.

If it would show more income stability to send more than last year then go ahead. Sending 3 years won't be a bad thing. Remember the big picture is to show that you and your fiance meet the requirements / guidelines.

The fewer RFE's the faster the process will go.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
The requirement has recently changed to most recent. If your employment history is stable and income is sufficient that should be ok.

If it would show more income stability to send more than last year then go ahead. Sending 3 years won't be a bad thing. Remember the big picture is to show that you and your fiance meet the requirements / guidelines.

I totally agree with you. They will only use your most recent, but if your 2 previous will provide stability then I would say send them. My Fiancee has her interview Aug. 14 and I sent the last 3 years. I have even noticed they didn't mention anything about the bank letter or statements. Has anyone else noticed this?

I hope this helps!

I-129F Timeline:

03-10-06 - Sent I-129F to USCIS

03-15-06 - NOA1

03-25-06 - NOA2 Approval

08-28-06 - Interview!!!

11-22-06 - Got the Visa!!!

AOS Timeline:

02-08-07 - I-485 sent

02-14-07 - NOA1 (Sent to Missouri)

03-06-07 - Biometrics Appointment

03-07-07 - Transferred to CSC

05-03-07 - Card Production Ordered Email

05-10-07 - Green Card In Hand

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03-05-09 - I-751 sent

03-09-09 - NOA1 (1 yr Extension)

04-08-09 - Biometrics

07-09-09 - Card Production Ordered Email

07-17-09 - Green Card In Hand

I-130 Filing for Step-Son

11-30-09 - Received at USCIS

12-04-09 - NOA1

03-01-10 - NOA2

03-05-10 - NVC Case # Assigned

03-09-10 - NVC Mailed DS-3032 and AOS Bill

03-12-10 - Emailed DS-3032 to NVC

03-13-10 - Received Email from NVC stating they received DS-3032 (Also received AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032 in the mail)

03-14-10 - Paid Affidavit of Support Fee and IV Bill online

03-16-10 - NVC Website updated to PAID for both fee's

03-17-10 - Petitioner and Agent received emails to further proceed with case

08-05-10 - NVC Case Completed

10-27-10 - Interview PASSED

10-28-10 - Picked up Visa

Mike (United States) & Huong (Vietnam)

Filed: Timeline

the reality is the can ask for anything they want.

So there is no one short easy answer.

Why not go with the most info. i.e. 3 years of taxes. I asked for clirafication on some finical matters; what exactly they would want and thier responce was not to worry if they want extra stuff they will ask and you can then provide it for them after the interview, so personally I would send/have all types of supporting docs ready just in case they ask.

Good Luck

Petitioners First Name: Capt. Joe

Beneficiaries First Name: Logic Girl

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F Sent : 2005-12-13

I-129F NOA1 : 2005-12-21

I-129F RFE(s) : 2006-04-18

RFE Reply(s) : 2006-05-05

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-05-11

NVC Received :

NVC Left : 2006-05-26

Consulate Received : 2006-05-31

Packet 3 mailed 2006-06-19

Packet 3 Received : 2006-07-10

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-07-12

Packet 4 Received : 2006-09-23

Interview Date : 2006-10-05 passed!!!!

Visa Received : 2006-10-10

US Entry : 2006-10-13

Marriage : 2006-10-16

Comments : sending out AOS papers 11-27-06

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 149 days.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

What is the requirement now then? Is it just latest information correct just 1 year back?

I would send them all but I don't have w2's from before 2005 and I honestly don't think i can even get them if i wanted.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The short answer is "it depends!!!"

Depends on the specific consulate, some ask for most recent (2005), some ask for "last 3 years" worth of ITR and W-2's.

The big picture that "Anh Map" talks about is to show them you are financially well-off. Say...if you can show them 5 years worth of tax but you only make $10,000/year and have 4 kids who currently are on welfare benefits and receiving foodstamps. No a chance in heaven they would approve your case. But, if you were a Medical student for the past 4 years, of course, you were in school to study and just land a full-time job at the hospital being a Brain doctor who makes $150,000/year (2006 and on). I think your chance to have your case approved by showing them 1 year worth of tax and current employment would be pretty good.

Here is what I would do, call the IRS, asking for your tax transcript (STL_HCMC can give you his contact, or check online) which has the income tax return information that you sent to the IRS. No W-2's needed! OR, just show up for the interview with your current employment letter, paystubs for the past 6 months where you can show them you make well over the poverty guideline which come out to be around $16K/year of you and your fiancee.

Short answer, there is none. This whole Visa Journey is case by case specific! Nobody can tell you exactly what the Consulate will request, sure there are guidelines, but that are just for guidance purpose, the C.O. may choose to follow in some cases, but will ignore it and ask for more evidence where he/she sess it fit. So to be well prepare and not kicking yourself in the you-know-what later on, if you hear people who are being asked to submit 3 years ITR and W2, go get them! Or just show up without the other 2 years and be worry for the rest of the week. IMHO.

Good luck and I hope that clears up some more!

I honestly don't think i can even get them if i wanted.

Ask you shall receive :)

How to get my Tax Return

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

Anh map,

The public charge requirements for K visa applicants have not changed. But they are quite subjective and at the discretion of the post and the individual consular officer.

Chuckandkim have it right - it depends.

Yodrak

Edited by Yodrak

Timeline

OK, I defer to your K knowledge and stand corrected. ;)

It seems to have changed from the AOS I was a party to a few years ago.

The goal is always to provide enough evidence to convince the adjudicator.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Anh map,

Two possibilities:

- don't confuse I-864 requirements, which have changed recently, with non-immigrant visa requirements

- again, non-immigrant visa requirements are quite subjective - it depends

Yodrak

It seems to have changed from the AOS I was a party to a few years ago.

Edited by Yodrak

Timeline

Yodrak,

My eyes and ears are open. :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.