CraigAndCourtney

DS-156 and Evidence of Engagement

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello everyone

My fiance and I are nearly there. NOA2 successfully received, packet 3 received, medical successfully complete. But i am just about to send through my packet 3 back to the US Embassy in London, and I have a couple of questions I am hoping someone will be able to help me with.

1. Evidence of Engagement

After reading lots of comments on different forums, this is confusing me. Now from my point of view, this is different to the "proof of relationship in the last 2 years" that you send throuogh to the USCIS in the original I-129F or is it? Is this just proof that we are a couple (pictures, emails, phone records, passport stamps, plane tickets etc etc), and that we just send in the letters stating that we intend to marry as we did with the I-129F? We havent had an engagement party and receipt of a ring seems pretty ambiguous.

2. Evidence of Financial Support

My fiance is self employed, and therefore is a little creative in her tax returns. Therefore, our intention is for me to work in the UK for as long as possible, and move to the US after we are married and I have at least a job in the pipeline, and in fact we are evenm discussing the possiblity of living in the UK (once married we'll see what the UK process is like for my fiance to get visa for UK!). My fiance called the DoHS and they told her that I would be able to enter the US under te approved K1 visa, and then apply for a travel authorisation document, which can be fasttracked if it can be proved that financial hardship. So my question is, other than the 1-864 that needs to be completed, what else should be included?

I would appreciate anyones help!

Thanks

Filed: Timeline

Can fully understand why you are getting confused when reading the different Forums.

Since different Countries Embassys are more stringent than others.

My advice would be to go to the Regional Discussions forums and click on the United Kingdom one.

I dont recall me sending in any of the two things you mentioned with my packet 3. I just posted the checklist with ticks on and all the forms i had to fill in.. DS156 etc etc.

I took photocopies of everything i mailed to the Uk Embassy and will take those copies to my interview there on the 30th.

All of the supporting documents, if i understand correctly are not to be mailed to the Uk Embassy but are to be taken to the actual visa interview in London on the interview day.

Such as..

Police checks *Original and photocopy*

Birth certs *original and photocopy*

His financial details, tax statements, employers letter

Few photos ..plane tickets *yet from what i read nobody was asked for them on UK Embassy interview day*

etc etc

I-129F Sent : 2009-10-19

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-10-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-01-20

Packet 3 Received : 2010-02-17

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-05-20

Packet 4 Received : 2010-06-23

Booked into Norman Bates Hotel: 2010-07-29

Medical : 2010-07-29 (4 letters issued >.<)

Interview Date : 2010-07-30 (pending medical results)

Email from Embassy: 2010-10-22 They confirm they have medical results, we are under final review.

Courier website : 2010-11-2 shows packet enroute for delivery. 1st indication of final approval! Or is it??! argh the suspense!

Visa Delivered <3 : 2010-11-3 K1 Visa packet delivered by courier! *cup of tea to celebrate*

US Entry (Dulles) : 2011-2-27 Hot Tomales time <3

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

moving thread to:

US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

This is the place to post your experiences or questions related to this last step before moving to the US. Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here.

YMMV

Hello everyone

My fiance and I are nearly there. NOA2 successfully received, packet 3 received, medical successfully complete. But i am just about to send through my packet 3 back to the US Embassy in London, and I have a couple of questions I am hoping someone will be able to help me with.

1. Evidence of Engagement - London doesn't care about any of this. Don't waste your time.

2. Evidence of Financial Support - VERY important to get this right for London. Everything you are saying about your plans to travel after getting the K1 etc are irrelevant to passing the visa interview in London. The US citizen must show two solid proofs of being over the poverty level. Otherwise get a joint sponsor and their proof of income plus proof of US citizenship or legal residence. If you have significant cash in the bank, then the UK citizen is sometimes allowed to self-sponsor.

See this Wiki article for London specific info

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

2. Evidence of Financial Support - VERY important to get this right for London... The US citizen must show two solid proofs of being over the poverty level. Otherwise get a joint sponsor and their proof of income plus proof of US citizenship or legal residence.

My tax return from last year shows $19,710 for my annual income due to a lay off and lower paying job for most of the year, but I also had child support of $7594 that wouldn't have been on the tax return(I'm including a 5-year child support payment history). Now, however, I am making $32k per year, so when I include my child support it's $39,594. I have 2 employer letters from my new job (supervisor & COO) as well as copies of ALL pay stubs from my very first one (I started here in late March).

Do you think this will be plenty to be able to support him, when I have 2 children also (the requirements are $27,562 for a family of 4), or will I need my co-sponsor? I've sent her information along as well, but I'm hoping not to need it. I just want to feel like I can do this on my own. I don't want to have to add a burden to others if I don't have to with the paperwork, but she's offered it, so I included it JUST IN CASE.

Angela & Peter

usa.gift4527.gifuk.gif

K-1 Process (Condensed)

02/01/10: Took atty's bad advice and applied for B2 visa

02/16/10: B2 Visa Interview: DENIED - K1 Required

05/07/10: Atty sent I-129F Petition to Chicago Lockbox

05/31/10: Atty rec'd Petition back due to wrong location

06/01/10: I-129F pkg sent to VSC

06/11/10: NOA1 Rec'd/Touch

09/17/10: INTERVIEW = APPROVED

10/22/10: Marriage in the US

AOS Process

11/13/10: Mailed Packet to CHI Lockbox

11/18/10: NOA1 Rec'd via Text

11/20/10: Soc. Sec. fixed mistake/Processed SSN

11/23/10: Rec'd SSN

11/23/10: Touch

12/09/10: RFE - Supposedly didn't sign I-864 when I KNOW I did. (Copies to prove it.)

12/20/10: Biometrics Appt

12/20/10: RFE Response Rec'd/Processing Resumed

12/27/10: Transferred to CSC

12/29/10: Contacted Senator re: EAD Expedite Request

12/30/10: AOS Touch

12/30/10: EAD & AP Approved (Card Production Ordered)

01/05/11: AOS Touch (Rec'd @ CSC)

01/06/11: AOS Touch/EAD Mailed

01/08/11: EAD & AP Rec'd

01/10/11: AOS Touch

01/14/11: EAD Touch

01/26/11: AOS APPROVED!!

02/02/11: Green Card Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

2. Evidence of Financial Support

My fiance is self employed, and therefore is a little creative in her tax returns. Therefore, our intention is for me to work in the UK for as long as possible, and move to the US after we are married and I have at least a job in the pipeline, and in fact we are evenm discussing the possiblity of living in the UK (once married we'll see what the UK process is like for my fiance to get visa for UK!). My fiance called the DoHS and they told her that I would be able to enter the US under te approved K1 visa, and then apply for a travel authorisation document, which can be fasttracked if it can be proved that financial hardship. So my question is, other than the 1-864 that needs to be completed, what else should be included?

I would appreciate anyones help!

Thanks

If you leave the the USA before your AOS is complete, you will be considered to have abandoned your AOS and will not be let back into the USA. Furthermore, permanent residents cannot remain outside of the USA for more than 6 months without losing their LPR status. I suggest you revise your plans because what you are proposing will not work. Also, you said you want to move to the USA after you're married. You MUST marry in the USA with a K1 visa, you cannot get married elsewhere.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.