Imua

No lease/mortgage, will that be a problem?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

My husband has been here for 1 year and we are already collecting evidence so we are ready to file the I-751 next year.

We have a joint bank account, state IDs showing same address, also he is covered under my work health/dental/life insurance. We will have tax forms for 2 years and I saved the itinerary and boarding passes from our trip to India with both our names.

We do not have a lease or mortgage in our names(in an apartment share situation), will this be a problem? Are there any other pieces of evidence that we should plan on including?

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

Hi there!

That should not be a big deal. However, make sure that your utilities, bank statements, credit cards, and everything else has both your names on it. We had a problem with some of these service providers and we insisted on having both names (even if one is account holder and other is authorized user).... if you prepare all these well, then the lease will become a secondary issue (just like our case and our package).

However, you have done the best thing which is to prepare ahead and be ready when the time come for ROC

good luck!

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

It also won't hurt if you include a statement explaining why you don't have a joint lease/mortgage.

Wife's I-130:

03/15/2019 NOA1 (Nebraska Service Center)

02/11/2020 Case transferred to Vermont Service Center

02/02/2021 NOA2 الحمد لله

02/04/2021 Approval email
02/12/2022 NVC documents submitted

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

We have no formal lease or contract for out apartment as the landlord is known to us and we didn't need one. But we do have utilities in our names. During our AOS we got a letter from our landlord stating that we were his tenants and mentioned the dates. Also we submitted our utility bills with the application. No question was asked during our AOS process. I think if you give your reason for not having a lease and possibly in writing, that is no reason to be doubtful of a genuine relationship.

IR5 For Parent

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

apartment share?

I dunno squat about that - but you really should generate some type of rental agreement or lease-holder's agreement, asap.

ROC is all about 'co-mingling of finances', among other things, and IMO, a lease document, rental document, SOMETHING that qualifies the domicile as 'our living-together address' (other than utility bills) is important.

Someone holds the lease, right ?

Someone pays rent to some agent, right ?

You really should (again IMO ) rethink this, asap.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

We were approved without a joint lease/mortgage or joint bank account and no interviews. We did show joint-IRS filing, photos, travel itineraries, joint cell phone and utility accounts, and checks showing we both paid from out separate accounts for the same bills.

K1 TIMELINE

2/24 Sent I 129f to VSC

3/2 Check cashed

3/6 NOA2

3/27 Packet 3 arrives

6/19 Interview- APPROVED K1 visa

8/3 Fede arrives in JFK, gets work authorization stamp

AOS/EAD/AP TIMELINE

9/24 NVC recieves AOS/AP/EAD package

9/28 Check cashed

10/03 NOA1 for EAD, AP

10/07 NOA1 for AOS

10/07 Biometrics letter

10/22 Biometrics appointment

10/23 Receive ADVANCED PAROLE

10/25 EAD card production ordered

11/02 EAD card mailed

11/05 EAD card recieved

11/16 Case transfered to CSC

12/10 RFE for I-693

1/14 Contact local Representative for help

2/6 Mail RFE letter stating we didn't send in medical per instructions of AOS for K1 because medical was done less than a year ago (We didn't think we would ever hear from our Congressman at this point)

2/13 Response (finally!) from Rep's office saying USCIS does not have the medical report

2/13 Decide to re-do medical :( another $300 spent in the name of sweet love

3/14 Letter of intent to deny with clear explanation of why.... medical didn't have TB skin test!

3/21/08 Green Card printed

4/1 Receive Green Card!

I-751TIMELINE

1/05/2010- Working on 751 packet

2/24/10 "Your item was delivered at 11:10 AM on February 24, 2010 in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479."

3/5/10 Received NOA dated 2/25/10. Check not cashed yet.

3/17/10 I wrote the date on the check as 2009!!! I had to resend entire package with a new check. :(

3/21/2010- 2 year green card expires

4/23/10 Biometrics Appointment

7/12/10 ROC APPROVED!! Card production ordered for a Lawful Permanent Resident card. (We were not interviewed.)

Filed: IR-2 Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Pattu Rani! I remember you, you started our January 2008 CR-1 filers thread (I was BulgarianBride back then). We meet again in the ROC forum ...

I came to post a similar question. The background: My husband and I first lived together in his apartment that he owns in Bulgaria (no lease/mortgage). Then we stayed in a house my mother owns when we came to the States. Then with friends, then *finally* we got our own place a couple of months ago and guess what - our landlord never gave us a lease! Just month-to-month.

I did manage to add my husband to one of our utility accounts so far, and I'm working on the others.

My plan was to include affidavits from my mother and the two people we lived with PLUS our current landlord explaining the situation, that we have actually lived *together* in all of these places. We're just a bit nomadic, as I work from home and he is establishing his business and basically has to go where the work is. I'll explain all of this succinctly in the cover letter. We have a ton of other evidence - multiple joint bank accounts, health insurance, car registration, stuff sent to us at the same address, etc. etc.

I hope it's enough and they don't haul us in for an interview just because they are annoyed at trying to figure out our unconventional history...

[i am the USC and the wife/stepmother]
The prelude - 2007
November 22 - Married in Bulgaria.
CR-1 - 2008
January 7 I-130 sent - APPROVED in 106 days.
Interview - APPROVED 175 days from NOA-1 date
ROC - 2010-2011
October 5 - I-751 sent APPROVED 111 days from NOA-1 date, no interview.
NATURALIZATION - 2012
APPROVED 79 days.
May 9 - Oath ceremony - in Oakland, CA.

*************Didn't have enough of the immigration process yet!! Starting again with 16-year-old (step)son****************
IR-2 - 2012-2013
---USCIS---
Nov 15 - I-130 sent. NOA-1 received from MSC.
Jan 22 - APPROVED 65 days from NOA-1. Never transferred to field office.
---NVC---
Feb 4 - received @ NVC
Feb 26 - Got NVC Case # and Invoice ID #
----------------------------------slowing down the process a little... stepson can't come till nearly July-----------------------------
March 19 - Sent e-mail Choice of Agent, without scan of DS-3032. Paid AOS fee ($88).
April 1 - Choice of Agent information accepted (10th "working day" to accept).
April 3 - IV invoice appeared. Paid IV fee ($230).
April 11 - Sent IV package and AOS package TOGETHER. Confirmed delivery April 15.

April 26 - Case Complete (10th working day)

May 14 - Interview date assigned (12th working day)

June 5 - Interview in Sofia - VISA GRANTED!!!

June 16 - POE @ SFO. No problems. He's a citizen now!

Oct 4 - US Passport received. (SS card received some time in the summer; had to go to SSA office to obtain)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Don't know. We are living with my mother who rents from my grandfather who owns the house, and she pays all the utilities and we pay x amount per month, which she wrote in an affidavit.

And now 72% of March VSC filers are approved and guess what? We haven't heard a peep :unsure:

Divorced. To hell with him.

My AOS was approved with no interview or request for further evidence - and we did not include a lease/mortgage because we live in a house owned by my in-laws.

We did include joint tax returns, photos covering the entire marriage, joint health insurance, car insurance, car registration, military discharge papers showing my wife as the nearest living relative, multiple joint bank accounts and joint credit cards.

Best of luck! :thumbs:

Married to my USC Spouse in the UK 08/17/2006

Entered the US with my CR1 on 09/25/2007

Mailed I-751 application on 07/14/2009 to CSC

I-751 package arrived at CSC on 07/16/2009

Check cashed on 07/20/2009

NOA1 Dated 07/16/2009

Biometrics Appointment 08/21/2009

Touched 08/24/2009

APPROVED 09/14/2009

Card Production Ordered 09/22/2009

Card arrived in the mail 09/28/2009

US Citizen as of 10/20/2010!

*IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN WORKING IN SECURITY/LAW ENFORCEMENT/MILITARY IN THE USA, FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME FOR INFO*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.