somuchfun

Jamaican passport

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Please help with confusing information. I have read in a few places that my Jamaican fiance has to have a passport that is at least 6 months old, in other words, issued 6 months prior to issue date. Does anyone know if this is true? we have an interview scheduled and I don't want to go if the passport will not get him into the US.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Please help with confusing information. I have read in a few places that my Jamaican fiance has to have a passport that is at least 6 months old, in other words, issued 6 months prior to issue date. Does anyone know if this is true? we have an interview scheduled and I don't want to go if the passport will not get him into the US.

Well, this could be consulate specific, but in general yes, the passport should be good for 6 months as the visa is good for 6 months and they will not issue a visa which is valid longer than the passport (in my experience).

When my Husband went for his IR1 interview, his passport was valid for another 5 months. The CO asked him if it was ok with him if he only gave his a visa valid for 5 months (expired the same day as the passport) - he said sure and that is what the CO did.

All consulates may not be as easy going about that though.

Please help with confusing information. I have read in a few places that my Jamaican fiance has to have a

passport that is at least 6 months old, in other words, issued 6 months prior to issue date.
Does anyone know if this is true? we have an interview scheduled and I don't want to go if the passport will not get him into the US.

The correct way to state the requirement, is that the passport must have an expired date of 6 months after the date of approval of the visa.

Your SO can have a passport that has a recent issue date, that will be okay.

I hope this helps.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

The correct way to state the requirement, is that the passport must have an expired date of 6 months after the date of approval of the visa.

Your SO can have a passport that has a recent issue date, that will be okay.

I hope this helps.

Thanks so much for your responses!!!! I have been so nervous since his passport was only issued 3 months ago, and if we pass the interview, we would want to travel back to the states right away. So, if I understand correctly, the fact that his passport was issued only 3 months ago, is not an issue.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thanks so much for your responses!!!! I have been so nervous since his passport was only issued 3 months ago, and if we pass the interview, we would want to travel back to the states right away. So, if I understand correctly, the fact that his passport was issued only 3 months ago, is not an issue.

:time: Thanks! Where is your fiance from? Also - PLEASE do not book the ticket until he has the visa in hand - many people have gotten it in a few days, but just as many have been held up for a month or so

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

thanks for the info, and I am so dubious about the whole process (I have been working on this since October and we have been together for 3 years), that I wouldn't even dream of getting him a ticket until I have his visa in hand. This whole thing has been a test of our will and patience. My fiance and I live near Logwood, in the hills of Hanover. I travel back to Minneapolis frequently and have a photography biz in both countries. I just hope he can start traveling with me since he has become a great assistant on my shoots!

I have used the information on this site since october, but finally decided to start posting today. Thanks to everyone for the help!

and yes, it is for a K1 Visa so I will ignore all those other needs for proof of his presence in Jamaica. We should have our interview in either august or september. They scheduled one for july 27th, but I have an assignment I cannot change and have asked for one in mid august. Hopefully they will respond.

Somuchfun, in reading your prior 2 posts, I would suggest that you read up on the Adjustment of status process (AOS), and what would be required of your S0(husband)to be able to maintain an LPR resident in The US, and what the time frames will be like.

Initally it could take almost up to 4 to 6 most before he will be able to travel back to Jamaica once he comes on a K1 visa.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

thanks for the info, and I am so dubious about the whole process (I have been working on this since October and we have been together for 3 years), that I wouldn't even dream of getting him a ticket until I have his visa in hand. This whole thing has been a test of our will and patience. My fiance and I live near Logwood, in the hills of Hanover. I travel back to Minneapolis frequently and have a photography biz in both countries. I just hope he can start traveling with me since he has become a great assistant on my shoots!

I have used the information on this site since october, but finally decided to start posting today. Thanks to everyone for the help!

Wrlcome!

I am also a photographer, would die to be able to divide my time between Ja and the US!

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.