JUP

Refusal of entry for immigrant visa holder at port of entry

12 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi! Recently a friend of mine was refused entry at the Windsor border in spite of having US Immigrant Visa. He had told the visa officer that he was going to the US for a month coming back to Canada and after settling his accounts here move permanently to the States. The visa officer told him to go back and that she would not be processing him. He was to settle his accounts and move to the States permanently at which time he will be processed. Also, he should not be flying to the US or entering from any other border. He has to enter through the Windsor border only and also to bring a letter from his rental officer stating that he had moved out of his rental unit. I am wondering if anybody else had a similar experience because I also have got my immigrant visa and am planning to enter the States in two weeks time for two weeks, come back and settle my accounts and then move back permanently. I am worried that I might face a similar situation. My friend is a PR in Canada whereas I am a Canadian Citizen and am planning to cross the border from either Queenston-Lewiston Bridge or the Rainbow Bridge. Suggestions or help needed. Thanks in advance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I live in Windsor and travel to Cali to see my fiancee once a month. We only have our NOA1 yet, so far no problems crossing. All I know is, that the K1 is a one time entry until you change your status.

02 /09 Met on e Harmony

04/18/09 Met in person

Fell in love that same day.

05/22/10 Filed I129F

05/28/10 Noa1

06/07/10 Touch

09/30/10 Touch

10/05/10 RFE notice (did not submit firsts divorce decree)

10/17/10 Reply to RFE

10/27/10 RFERR

10/28/10 APPROVED!!!!!!!! :) NOA2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Moved from K-1 Visa forum as this is not a K-1 visa issue, to the Canada Regional Forum as more likely to get useful responses here. It sounds like the friend is trying to activate a CR-1 visa and has run into a difficult border guard.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

We need to know what kind of visa your friend has.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

I activated my CR1 and kids CR2 visas stayed the weekend. Came back to Canada and moved the following week. Told the CBP officer that processed us that's what we were doing. Didn't cause us any problems.

Removal of Conditions: 12/09/2011

ROC check cashed 12/15/11

NOA1 12/13/11

Biometrics 1/6/12 Complete

RFE 9/13/12

RFE package sent back 10/17/12

Card Production Ordered 12/04/12

10 year card arrived in mail 12/10/12

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Why he bothered to tell the border officer that he was going to the U.S. for two weeks then returning to Canada, i'm not sure. Why didn't he just tell him he was moving? I mean if it is a CR1 visa I assume he has a wife in the U.S.? Or does he? Or, do they both live in Canada at the moment? If they are both still living in Canada that's a completely different thing.

There is really not much to be done at this point - if the border officer has indeed noted what he told your friend. The border guard is going on the assumption that your friend applied to be a permanent resident of the U.S. and that does not appear to be his intention - he's not giving him any leeway.

The only option for your friend, probably - would be to contact a supervisor at the Windsor border crossing, explain the situation and see if the supervisor is willing to go along with him doing this.

However, if his wife is still living in Canada, that is not an option.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Had to google, what is a F4 visa. here is a so-so definition of it http://www.ehow.com/facts_6019406_f4-visa_.html

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Had to google, what is a F4 visa. here is a so-so definition of it http://www.ehow.com/facts_6019406_f4-visa_.html

Seems to me that the F4 may have some restrictions much like the Green Card does. And the way the friends stated to the officer "coming to the US for a month then coming back to Canada to settlle ties" shows to me that they are residing in Canada right now and plans to reside for an indefinate time until things get settled. So one might need to check into what the rules are for an F4. I don't think any visa is open enough to allow anyone to live outside the US and remain in status. Need to check on that...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

I activated my visa at the Peace Bridge. I returned after a week for a few days, returned to the US for another month and then returned again to Canada when the sale of my house closed. When activating my visa I did not offer up any of this information nor was I asked. I had no issues on any of my crossing with the exception of once being asked on returning to the US why I had returned to Canada so soon after my POE. I simply stated I had returned to see my son graduate from school and they were fine with that.

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I'd go with what trailmix and OBX say...do not volunteer any information, just answer the questions they ask. It seems like there is little consistency between CBP officers processing IV cases in regard to coming back to Canada; we've heard about some people just crossing border for a coffee and returning to Canada the same day just to start their GC procedure going and those that, alike your friend, were treated harshly. Best way is simply to fly...airports seem to be easier - maybe just because they do not imagine someone just crossing the border to come back the same day :) and of course if you are flying and don't have a trailer full of stuff with you no one would wonder why...but if you are on the land crossing then at least they might ask out of curosity and then...some people give them the answer that may cause trouble such as: Oh, I am just activating my visa today but I am coming back in a week coz I gotta finish some business...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.