Frank and Duyen

VAT on Laptop

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Duyens Laptop expired just after I left. I've got a perfectly good Toshiba Satilite sitting at my place collecting dust and want to send it to her. What kind of duty or VAT or customs will she have to pay on it when she picks it up? The value Im guessing is probably $175??

Thanks for your input

Frank

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It depends on the value.. you must include an original reciept to get it through customs so they can calculate it... that is why so many people have others carry things by hand to avoid the VAT and cost of shipping.. the electronics duty can be high... Dont forget that you have to pay a duty as well...

http://www.aseansec.org/14304.htm

looks like its 50% overall.. 40% + 10%

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

This is the best information I have found on the Internet regarding imports to Vietnam.

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:36 pm

Unfortunately import duty tax varies from item to item. Seems that they have 2 catagories: regular and luxary. The regular is like 30% of the items value (which if items are used you should show receipts of the purchase price new and the date so you can devalue accordingly). The luxary applies to electronics, jewerly, cars, motorbikes etc. It is around 60%. Same rules apply if they are used. As an example on those Blu-Ray movies I ordered I paid NO tax but I was lucky, apparently DHL who delivered them somehow got by the tax man. I had a Onkyo receiver sent from USA (used). I paid $450 for it 3 years ago. When it got here I got a notice from VNPT to go to their airport facility to pick it up. Once there they opened the box and like 10 people looked at it. They tried to tax me 60% on the $500 declared value. First I tried to bribe the head guy who spoke English very well. Did not work. Next I said that the shipping (EMS) was $200 and that the receiver was worth $300 (I showed him original receipt). We baragined for about 10 minutes and he said he would charge me the 30% tax on $300 so I paid my 1.9 million dong and away I went. Like everything else here it pays to at least try to bargain

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=81553

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

This is the best information I have found on the Internet regarding imports to Vietnam.

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:36 pm

Unfortunately import duty tax varies from item to item. Seems that they have 2 catagories: regular and luxary. The regular is like 30% of the items value (which if items are used you should show receipts of the purchase price new and the date so you can devalue accordingly). The luxary applies to electronics, jewerly, cars, motorbikes etc. It is around 60%. Same rules apply if they are used. As an example on those Blu-Ray movies I ordered I paid NO tax but I was lucky, apparently DHL who delivered them somehow got by the tax man. I had a Onkyo receiver sent from USA (used). I paid $450 for it 3 years ago. When it got here I got a notice from VNPT to go to their airport facility to pick it up. Once there they opened the box and like 10 people looked at it. They tried to tax me 60% on the $500 declared value. First I tried to bribe the head guy who spoke English very well. Did not work. Next I said that the shipping (EMS) was $200 and that the receiver was worth $300 (I showed him original receipt). We baragined for about 10 minutes and he said he would charge me the 30% tax on $300 so I paid my 1.9 million dong and away I went. Like everything else here it pays to at least try to bargain

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=81553

Thank you Mr Saigon and Scott, I appreciate the information. Your searching skills are second to none :thumbs:

Frank

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.