Chris M

Processing time and visa question

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So I sent in the I-129F application over a month ago, and the USCIS says they received the application on May 20, so a month ago, according to the online status checker thingy. When I look at the processing times I see the Vermont Service Center as 5 months for processing. My question is, I imagine this is only the amount of time the application will be with USCIS in Vermont, or wherever, right? Let's just say a perfect world scenario is they do not need any RFE's and the application gets sent to Moscow for the interview after the 5 months. Of course I know this may be very hard to come by, but I am being optimistic, and probably too optimistic, but I'm an optimist. ha ha. Could we technically have the visa in 6 months? So from May 20 to November 20. This is all very hypothetical, and we are not counting the days just yet, so we don't get our hopes up, but it's nice to get an idea at least. With all this information, and the "perfect world" scenario do any of you think it would be possible to get my fiancee her by the end of the year? I do realize my fiancee will have to quit her job, move out of her apartment, sell some of her big items, etc..., but I thought I would ask.

I hope I did not forget anything, but I am curious to hear if any of you had a "perfect world" scenario and how many days it may have taken you all. We both have nothing to hide, and both of us have lived in the same place for over 5 years, no criminal records, she has had the same job for 6 years, I the same job for 3, no children, etc...

Let me know, and as always I appreciate the help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

She could very well be here by the end of the year.

Your timeline guesstimates seem pretty accurate. There's no really definitive way to gauge when exactly she'll get the interview, but you seem pretty close with your ballpark figure.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

So I sent in the I-129F application over a month ago, and the USCIS says they received the application on May 20, so a month ago, according to the online status checker thingy. When I look at the processing times I see the Vermont Service Center as 5 months for processing. My question is, I imagine this is only the amount of time the application will be with USCIS in Vermont, or wherever, right? Let's just say a perfect world scenario is they do not need any RFE's and the application gets sent to Moscow for the interview after the 5 months. Of course I know this may be very hard to come by, but I am being optimistic, and probably too optimistic, but I'm an optimist. ha ha. Could we technically have the visa in 6 months? So from May 20 to November 20. This is all very hypothetical, and we are not counting the days just yet, so we don't get our hopes up, but it's nice to get an idea at least. With all this information, and the "perfect world" scenario do any of you think it would be possible to get my fiancee her by the end of the year? I do realize my fiancee will have to quit her job, move out of her apartment, sell some of her big items, etc..., but I thought I would ask.

I hope I did not forget anything, but I am curious to hear if any of you had a "perfect world" scenario and how many days it may have taken you all. We both have nothing to hide, and both of us have lived in the same place for over 5 years, no criminal records, she has had the same job for 6 years, I the same job for 3, no children, etc...

We got NOA1 dated Sept. 29th and the interview was March 31st. That's almost exactly 6 months and I know others have done it quicker. So it's certainly possible but your results may vary.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Well ours was 7 and a 1/2 months till interview approval. Yet, there were some who submitted after us and got theirs around the same time. As it gets to the end of the year it seems to me that they pour on the processing. What you really want is the package to be at the Embassy before the last 3 months of the year. You get to that point and you have a real shot at seeing her before the end of the year!

Good luck!

Jeff

I found her in March 08'

We met in December 08'

NOA1 on 31 March 09'

NOA2 on 28 Aug 09'

Interview 18 Nov 09' (Administrative Review)

Visa Approved!! 15 Dec 09'

Tatiana Arrives! 12 Jan 10'

Married 2 Mar 10'

Green Card Received 10 July 10'

Lifting Conditions Filed 25 April 12'

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Don't count days. Don't get your hopes up.

Most of us here have timelines you can read. I caution you that personal timelines include personal considerations not reflected in the numbers. We were offered an interview appointment in June but were unable to attend at that time and we took the next available which was August. That was OUR choice as Alla wanted me at the interview. Alla did not notify her employer she was leaving until she had her visa in her hand, and than had to meet another month's worth of obligations to her employer. Had we just jumped when they said jump she could have been here 3 months sooner, but we are adults with children and responsibilities and can;t just throw everything away and bolt when the government issues a piece of paper. We are also mature enpugh to understand that 2-3 months makes absolutely no difference in the big picture and that we were applying for a visa to get married and spend the rest of our lives together...not a prom date.

In the real world, thinking she will be here less than 6 months from when you file a petition is not realistic. Processing times seem longer now than when we filed, but the consulate times seems faster. Still about the same, I would say.

I also suggest you make no plans requiring the expediture of money (plane tickets, wedding reservations, etc.) until she has the visa in her hand. Anything can happen at any time to delay things.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline

Thanks guys and girls.

--Of course the very last thing we want to do is make plans. That would almost be like planning a trip overseas without having a passport.

--Not going to count days because that would make us crazy.

--I never really liked the prom, so I will wait for the rest of our lives instead of one date. :)

In the end getting Tanya here is the most important.

Thanks again all.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
In the real world, thinking she will be here less than 6 months from when you file a petition is not realistic.

Very true, but 7 is quite possible.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Very true, but 7 is quite possible.

Actually, less than 6 is possible. Had we taken the first interview date offered, June 23, Alla could have been here in UNDER 4 months from filing the petition.

"Planning" on, or even anticipating, less than 6 months is simply not normally realistic. I had thought, when I filed a petition in March, that she would probably be here before the end of that year.

I promise the OP, it is NOT that long. It really is not enough time to prepare all the things you will need to before she arrives. Do your best, but you will be a busy guy for a long time after she gets here. I would say, even with all I did before, it was a year after she arrived that we got onto an "even keel" so to speak, adjusted, settled, etc. And you will be doing this immigration stuff, it seems, endlessly, for many years. AOS and then ROC and then naturalization. It seems like only yesterday I said "Oh good, no more USCIS for two years" and now I am preparing the ROC paperwork, plus did the AOS for our son (K-2 to follow) last summer and then in 2011 ROC for our oldest son and then in 2012 I will begin the naturalization process. I should finish all about 2014 after starting in 2008. The petition is, literally, only the first step of a journey of 1000 miles and I wouldn't trade a moment of it.

In a couple years you will look back and think...

1. It did not take all that long

2. The petition/visa was the WAY easy part

3. It never seems to end

4. It is all worth it

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Thanks guys and girls.

--Of course the very last thing we want to do is make plans. That would almost be like planning a trip overseas without having a passport.

--Not going to count days because that would make us crazy.

--I never really liked the prom, so I will wait for the rest of our lives instead of one date. :)

In the end getting Tanya here is the most important.

Thanks again all.

I don't even remember if I liked the prom. I think yes. If my dates looked anything like the girls my sons have taken to the prom, I am sure I had a good time. Good thing they were local girls, I wouldn't go through the visa process for them. :lol:

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.