Jaggerdude

Changing K2 Child Last Name

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

:help:

Hello there!

My topic question is:

When do I or when can I change the last name of my K1 fiance's daughter, to my own last name (as her stepfather by virtue of marriage to her mother)? After the marriage, just like my fiance? Or do I have to go through the adoption process? I read somewhere here that the adoption is not necessary for a K2 child.

Do I specify the last name in the I-485 application?

Thanks in advance!

:help:

Hello there!

My topic question is:

When do I or when can I change the last name of my K1 fiance's daughter, to my own last name (as her stepfather by virtue of marriage to her mother)? After the marriage, just like my fiance? Or do I have to go through the adoption process? I read somewhere here that the adoption is not necessary for a K2 child.

Do I specify the last name in the I-485 application?

Thanks in advance!

I believe the only way to change your step daughters last name to yours, would be thru adoption. hopefully someone will chime in if this is not correct.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I believe her biological father would have to give his permission for you to either change her last name, or for you to adopt her.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Look up "Legal Name Change for a Minor" in your state. Most Circuit Court Clerks can point you in the right direction.

As the child was born out of wedlock in the Philippines the bio-father has no rights, include a copy of he relevant family code from the PH with your filing.

If you are planning to adopt the child anyway then it can be done in the adoption process.

We will be filing within the next few weeks as he is starting school & we've already experienced issues at the doctor's offices because of the name difference.

Or you could wait until naturalization, they can change their name as part of that process.

Edited by Bob 4 Anna

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i believe it is only thru adoption that you can change your your stepdaughter's last name to yours.. or anyone correct me if i am wrong.. my son was adopted by my husband and his last name was changed to his after the adoption... they gave us a new US BC stating that my husband as his father and such... so i am not sure if there's anyway around changing your stepdaughter's last name to yours w/o adoption..

Look up "Legal Name Change for a Minor" in your state. Most Circuit Court Clerks can point you in the right direction.

As the child was born out of wedlock in the Philippines the bio-father has no rights, include a copy of he relevant family code from the PH with your filing.

If you are planning to adopt the child anyway then it can be done in the adoption process.

We will be filing within the next few weeks as he is starting school & we've already experienced issues at the doctor's offices because of the name difference.

Or you could wait until naturalization, they can change their name as part of that process.

thank's for this post!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

N-400:
May 9, 2017: N-400 packet was sent
May 15, 2017: NOA1 
June 05, 2017: Biometric Done
June 19, 2017: Case is in Line for an Interview
June 25, 2018: USCIS Scheduled an Interview
Aug. 02, 2018: Interview Date- APPROVED!
Aug. 09, 2018: Oath Ceremony

My Group

My Blog

Just to support the PP, the process will depend on your state but you don't necessarily have to adopt to effect a name change.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

hi bob 4 anna.. is this only for kids out of wedlock?.. what if the biological father's name was on the kid's BC?.. i think adoption is necessary too right? :unsure:

N-400:

My Group

My Blog

Timeline

If the bio-father has rights (i.e. Child born in a marriage) then most states require either consent or that you've attempted to give notice by publication for minor's name change.

If the bio-father has rights (i.e. Child born in a marriage) then most states require either consent or that you've attempted to give notice by publication for minor's name change.

uhmm so u mean if ever we want to change my son's name to my fiance's name we can change it without goin tru an adoption...? but we must wait for his naturalization?... and only need is to ask for consent from his biological dad OR publish on a news paper about my son's name change.. am i right?..

example: my son's name is michael revilla

then i can change it to:

mico smith...

:blink: :blink: :blush: :blush:

Edited by godsgift
N-400:

My Group

My Blog

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

uhmm so u mean if ever we want to change my son's name to my fiance's name we can change it without goin tru an adoption...? but we must wait for his naturalization?... and only need is to ask for consent from his biological dad OR publish on a news paper about my son's name change.. am i right?..

then i can change it to:

mico smith...

You can do whatever the laws of your state allow. If you follow the process and file all the required documents and upon approval, a name can be changed. The process for a minor child can be more complicated, but it can be done IF you secure all the proper documents.

YMMV

You can do whatever the laws of your state allow. If you follow the process and file all the required documents and upon approval, a name can be changed. The process for a minor child can be more complicated, but it can be done IF you secure all the proper documents.

uhmm i see.. thank u very much payxibka and bob for anna... :idea::thumbs:

N-400:

My Group

My Blog

Timeline

then i can change it to:

mico smith...

In our state (Illinois) we do not have to wait for naturalization, the only requirement is that he is a resident of the state for 6 months.

Basically we have 3 options:

1) Petition a Judge for "Legal Name Change of a Minor"

2) Petition for my "Step-Parent Adoption" and include the desire to change his name.

3) Wait until his naturalization and include it in the process.

We are doing #1 within the next few weeks and will be filing for my "Step-Parent Adoption" shortly thereafter. The whole reason we are filing separately is just to get the name change quicker. We are already experiencing confusion with his last name being different from the rest of the family and we hope to nip it in the bud so to speak.

The laws of your state will vary from ours but changes are pretty good that your options will be close if not the same.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.