Brad and Vika

Eastern European Cuisine

Favorite Eastern European Food?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Eastern European Food?

170 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Eastern European ? like the old school definition, behind the Iron Curtain ?

I love Hungarian, Romanian and some [old name] Yugoslavian dishes. None are in yer list, though :(

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll preface this by saying I'm not a big fan of Eastern European food. Just the other day my wife was asking why we don't have more Russian restaurants around here. (There are none.) I said it's because people in America have enough money to eat well so they're not going to pay "extra" money to eat like they're poor. "If we're going to spend money on dinner, we're going to eat steak, not beet soup."

You can put me firmly in the camp of vodka being my favorite "cuisine" from Eastern Europe.

While I do enjoy certain things (I voted for pelmini.. and forgot now as I type this how it was transliterated above!) I'm not big on vegetables, soups or salads. I don't eat that stuff here so when I went to Russia I was more than a little disappointed with the standard fare. I absolutely love meat and potatoes so I was able to survive. Plus, there's something to be said for having a rotisserie chicken kiosk that's open 24/7.

I'll never forget spending literally hours making pilmeni so she could enjoy "good food" and not our standard American fare of frozen chicken fingers. I used to be like the King of Queens and need the "pre-dinner Whopper" because dinner would be something like olivie salad and a few pieces of stinky fish. MMmmmmmm. No. Those are apetizers. Not a meal.

I'll eat blini for breakfast (although I coat that stuff with peanut butter and honey!) pilmeni for lunch, and then some shashliki out over the fire for dinner, but by far, the most appetizing of all "Eastern European Cuisine" has to be just a simple cutlet and mashed potatoes. Now that's food!

I do like how everything is "healthy" yet slathered with mayo, sour cream, oil, and/or vinegar, doused with salt and pepper and then still covered with hot sauce and/or ketchup. I find almost all EEC to be either lacking in substance (salad and soup? Really? That's our dinner?) way too bland ("Pass the mayo.") or really good but needing some help to make it tasty ("Wow. Those really are like little porcupines!")

Oh, almost forgot to add, I don't need all the fat and gristle on there either. It's not "tasty" for me, even with the ketchup, and I don't have to prove that it's hardwired into my psyche to never leave a scrap behind.

I like EEC, but I'm not going to celebrate it. I'm a firm believer in having EEC for holidays, picnics, weekend trips, etc. Not for dinner every night.

She actually did say 40g, like it's medicine.

You know that's because shots are in grams, right?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I'll preface this by saying I'm not a big fan of Eastern European food. Just the other day my wife was asking why we don't have more Russian restaurants around here. (There are none.) I said it's because people in America have enough money to eat well so they're not going to pay "extra" money to eat like they're poor. "If we're going to spend money on dinner, we're going to eat steak, not beet soup."

:lol: QFT

I do like how everything is "healthy" yet slathered with mayo, sour cream, oil, and/or vinegar, doused with salt and pepper and then still covered with hot sauce and/or ketchup. I find almost all EEC to be either lacking in substance (salad and soup? Really? That's our dinner?) way too bland ("Pass the mayo.") or really good but needing some help to make it tasty ("Wow. Those really are like little porcupines!")

Oh, almost forgot to add, I don't need all the fat and gristle on there either. It's not "tasty" for me, even with the ketchup, and I don't have to prove that it's hardwired into my psyche to never leave a scrap behind.

Two for two... I often felt the same way. Everything they make is lathered in fat... Your arteries can clog simply by looking at most food. When my wife and I went shopping and I bought like 96% lean beef, she was aghast. But what about the вкус?!

You know that's because shots are in grams, right?

As I said, I don't drink... So I wasn't aware of that.

As I said, I don't drink... So I wasn't aware of that.

Typically, shots are in 50gram or 100gram units. "He made for me big shot howadka. Hundred gram, like zis big!"

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Yep, I like pelmini. I cover it with spaghetti sauce. It is just like beef ravioli. My wife makes a great lagman soup (an Uzbek dish) and tasty plof. My wife absolutely loves lamb on the grill (NEVER with that awful American mint jelly..yuck). The wife just told me this week she is making youjik(?), those porcupines. My favorite salad is kariskya morkovka, Korean carrot salad.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Dogs can't take MRI's but Cat scan.

My favorite salad is kariskya morkovka, Korean carrot salad.

I think they translated "Korean" as "add lots and lots of garlic." (Which actually is traditional in Korean cooking and salad making.)

Edited by slim

Русский форум член.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I love Katya's Pelmini and Borscht, but I like the Pelmini better. So good with just some butter. Yummm

It's 10pm and now I'm hungry. damn

06/05/08 - First meeting on dating Website

05/04/09 - First Face to Face meeting in Vladivostok

07/06/09 - I-129F delivered to CSC via UPS

07/09/09 - NOA1 Received

07/12/09 - Touched

10/02/09 - NOA2 Notification

10/05/09 - NOA2 Hard Copy

10/15/09 - NVC Receipt

10/26/09 - MOW Receipt

12/07/09 - Interview Successful!!

12/12/09 - Entry to USA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Mmm, food! You know, it's funny (or not if you are as lousy a cook as me!) but in addition to the excitement of seeing and being with Diana for all the myriad wonderful reasons we have for marrying our RUB women, she is an excellent cook. I have literally told some of my friends and family how I count down the number of days left that I have to eat my own cooking!

So many good dishes to choose from, but yeah, what is it about the "stinky fish?" Diana loves it and I haven't yet had the heart to tell what I think about it. (I guess now I'll find out if she reads this forum! :) ) Sorry, shikarnov, but 40 g of vodka DOES help with the fish!

Anyway, my favorite is some kind of meat and cheese baked turnover thing we have for breakfast (Dunno what it's called). Love it! :D

I leave the room when Alla eats her stinky fish. Alla also makes a Ukrainian equivilent of scalloped potatoes with potatoes, meat, cheese and lots of onions. MMMM good. You will have to learn to accomodate the stinky fish. Separate dining rooms. :lol:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Brad,

Did you try any "Икра лососевая" (Salmon Caviar) while you were there? I thought I'd hate it but I actually love the stuff! Tanya served it on crusty bread with butter ... Yummy!

Yeah .... the stinky fish ... I can live without it. Tanya called it: "Fish in a fur coat" or something like that. (it sounds even LESS appealing with that name!) :whistle:

--Tom

Yes, I have tried and enjoyed them. Vika buys the fish eggs at our local Russian store pretty often. We are close to an accord with the stink fish.

I definitely can't tie myself down to one thing but the soups and salads are really good. I honestly don't know what you guys mean by the stinky/salty fish unless you're talking about pickled herring which I do definitely like, especially under a fur coat. In my experience, the wonderful thing about Russian cooking is the simple reliance on fresh vegetables. Most dishes gain their flavor from the proper mixture of beets, onions, mushrooms, cabbage, peppers, carrots, garlic, and potatoes with some cucumbers, tomatoes and fresh dill mixed in. Pickles also have their place. It's so simple but really fantastic.

Pelmeni can be good but they are only great with the right sauce and seasonings. There is quite a bit of bad pelmeni to go around.

Although I've never drunk a drop, I really do like the beer cheese. It's great for snacks.

I enjoy Vika's Pilmeni, but not so much the frozen stuff from NY. You know, the kind sold by the bag that says "authentic Russian"? :lol:

Oh one more thing I really enjoyed there: Shashlyk. We had the marinated pork kabobs cooked on a wood fire on a day we went mushroom picking. What fun!! (BTW, Now I know just enough about mushrooms to get myself in trouble!)

I think shashlyk is kind of a generic name for barbeque kebab, but I woun't swear to it. As meat and veggies go it is not one of my favs.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

Yes, I have tried and enjoyed them. Vika buys the fish eggs at our local Russian store pretty often. We are close to an accord with the stink fish.

I enjoy Vika's Pilmeni, but not so much the frozen stuff from NY. You know, the kind sold by the bag that says "authentic Russian"? :lol:

I think shashlyk is kind of a generic name for barbeque kebab, but I woun't swear to it. As meat and veggies go it is not one of my favs.

Shashlyk, at least in Ukraine, seemed to be more of an event than a type of food. In general the bar-b-que kabobs are served, cooked over wood fires, but also all sorts of other dishes brought by the women who seem to be trying to outdo each other. (a good contect to be a "taste tester" at) I went to many "shashlyks" and we had a "shashlyk" in our yard for the local Amer/Rus couples.

Great fun, no doubt.

An accord on stinky fish, Brad? This is like settling the cold war! Do tell when the treaty is signed!

:rofl: Alla has come to the conclusion that food in a plastic bag that says "Authentic..." is NOT authentic and rarely qualifies as "food".

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Love love pelmeni, I even learn how to make them :)2531058678_d569bee5ac_m.jpg

I like blini with sour cream and honey mm so nice with a cup of tea.I also try blini with ground meat and sour cream mm tasty snack. And shashlik jiji whom cant love bbq meat (just without the plum sauce please). And I loved the home made jams my mother in law made. Also some refreshing drink that was just boiled fruits in water, then cooled out, perfect for the super hot summer days, when I was in Dnepropetrovsk.

Not my favorites were brosh and the cabbage rolls. And the dried salty fish ahhh not my kind of food :P

Uniting for Ukraine

1-134 submitted - 4/25/2022

I-134 approved - 4/29/2022

Email received by beneficiary - 5/4/2022

Beneficiary submits data to USCBP - 5/4/2022

Received information about travel authorization from USCBP - 5/6/2022 (Approval but no Travel Authorization Document)

Travel Authorization Document- 5/16/2022

Balini, meatballs, borsch and to many more, Lena has only been here 6 months and i have gained 30 lbs!!! I must like all her food!! :rofl:

I-751 Vermont
Mailed 4/03/2012
Check Cashed 4/10/2012
Noa1 4/12/2012 receipt date 4/6/2012
Biometrics 4/19/2012 letter recieved
Biometrics 5/01/2012 done
Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Tic toc..................................................

5/10/2013 Info pass for another year stamp

Tic Toc, Tic Toc.....................................

Second biometrics letter received 7/6/2013

Tic toc tic toc..........................................................................................

4/10/14 info pass for another year

Tic Toc, Tic toc

3/30/2015 info pass for another year stamp

9/10/2015 Notice for I-751 interview 9/22/2015 Our gov is so efficient just gotta love em in charge of health care!!

I think shashlyk is kind of a generic name for barbeque kebab,

Shashlyk has also been translated here as a generic name for "hot dogs" which, as we all know, are just balogna in a tube. Hey, when you run out of sausages, the good ones, hot dogs will do in a pinch. Right?

Русский форум член.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Shashlyk has also been translated here as a generic name for "hot dogs" which, as we all know, are just balogna in a tube. Hey, when you run out of sausages, the good ones, hot dogs will do in a pinch. Right?

Interesting. Everybody in Russia that I met called them хотдогы, which I found to be hilarious (there was also a фуд курт in the local mall). But I never her шашлык refer to anything other than some kind of kebab cooked over fire. Wouldn't колбаса be a more logical generic translation for hot dog?

Edited by shikarnov

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Interesting. Everybody in Russia that I met called them хотдогы, which I found to be hilarious (there was also a фуд курт in the local mall). But I never her шашлык refer to anything other than some kind of kebab cooked over fire. Wouldn't колбаса be a more logical generic translation for hot dog?

Hot dogs can be called сосиски, which is a pretty generic translation for any sort of tube sausage. Hot dogs wouldn't be called колбаса. As far as шашлык, it is traditionally pieces of meat fried on a spit, with garlic, onions, and marinades optional. However, it can sometimes be more generic and just mean a cook-out or barbecue (sort of like how barbecue in English can mean a certain type of food or it can be generalized to anything cooked on a grill, which real barbecue ironically isn't).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.