ryna

I-134 Question

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello everyone,

At the moment I am trying to gather all of the information needed for my I-134 before my fiancée's still TBD interview date. Because I'm not working at the moment for the short-term (normal for my type of work and not a big deal to me, only in this Visa-approval sense), I plan to make an assets-based case.

I see the stocks and bonds line but does anyone know if those held in retirement accounts can be included? Especially those held in Roth accounts that allow penalty-free withdrawal of contributions before retirement age? Or, do all count for the purpose of this affidavit?

I do have a co-sponsor (or two, in the form of my parents) lined up just in case (and gathering their docs, too), but I would like to avoid having to use them if at all possible, since it can only make things more confusing by adding extra people's paperwork into the mix.

Also, while I know her current income can NOT be considered (for obvious reasons), can her assets? Or, is that only at the AOS/I-864 stage?

Thanks

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hello everyone,

At the moment I am trying to gather all of the information needed for my I-134 before my fiancée's still TBD interview date. Because I'm not working at the moment for the short-term (normal for my type of work and not a big deal to me, only in this Visa-approval sense), I plan to make an assets-based case.

I see the stocks and bonds line but does anyone know if those held in retirement accounts can be included? Especially those held in Roth accounts that allow penalty-free withdrawal of contributions before retirement age? Or, do all count for the purpose of this affidavit?

I do have a co-sponsor (or two, in the form of my parents) lined up just in case (and gathering their docs, too), but I would like to avoid having to use them if at all possible, since it can only make things more confusing by adding extra people's paperwork into the mix.

Also, while I know her current income can NOT be considered (for obvious reasons), can her assets? Or, is that only at the AOS/I-864 stage?

Thanks

State your liquid assets and provide current account statements as evidence. I would add three tax returns as well. If you use a cosponsor, it would be singular, so pick the one that has the qualifying income.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Thanks for clarifying the co-sponsor thing. I was aware that each is considered separately but I wasn't aware that I would be limited to only one or the other. Both are individually able to (and willing) to meet the requirements. I guess it still wouldn't be a bad idea to have each prepare their info independently so that I would have two choices should something happen in the interim (should I even need it by then.)

But, I'm still not too certain if retirement accounts can be included in my assets. While not the best idea, they could be liquidated and the funds accessed (with varying degrees of penalty) in very short-order. Real estate and other "personal property" can be included on the I-134 and that's not generally considered liquid and would take longer to unload, if needed. Assets should be assets as far as demonstrating the ability to provide support, I would think, right? But, then again, logic sometimes doesn't apply in this process.

Oh well, this whole process seems as clear as mud sometimes and their decisions seem to have as much to do with the mood of the person adjudicating the forms as any of the rules but it is what it is... (And, since I just noticed this was moved to "consular forum", does that mean that the "rules" are even more random???)

Lol.. A year ago, I never would have dreamed that I'd be asking Uncle Sam for permission to live with my (future) wife in a house that I already own and feed her with food that I'd otherwise already be cooking for myself.. :lol:

N-400

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Thanks for clarifying the co-sponsor thing. I was aware that each is considered separately but I wasn't aware that I would be limited to only one or the other. Both are individually able to (and willing) to meet the requirements. I guess it still wouldn't be a bad idea to have each prepare their info independently so that I would have two choices should something happen in the interim (should I even need it by then.)

But, I'm still not too certain if retirement accounts can be included in my assets. While not the best idea, they could be liquidated and the funds accessed (with varying degrees of penalty) in very short-order. Real estate and other "personal property" can be included on the I-134 and that's not generally considered liquid and would take longer to unload, if needed. Assets should be assets as far as demonstrating the ability to provide support, I would think, right? But, then again, logic sometimes doesn't apply in this process.

Oh well, this whole process seems as clear as mud sometimes and their decisions seem to have as much to do with the mood of the person adjudicating the forms as any of the rules but it is what it is... (And, since I just noticed this was moved to "consular forum", does that mean that the "rules" are even more random???)

Lol.. A year ago, I never would have dreamed that I'd be asking Uncle Sam for permission to live with my (future) wife in a house that I already own and feed her with food that I'd otherwise already be cooking for myself.. :lol:

If there's going to be a penalty to withdraw funds, the penalty will be factored into the value. Unless you have significantly more in the liquid accounts than needed, I would have the cosponsor ready.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Are there any good links for extensive discussion about the I-134? I've seen some here and there, but nothing to exhaustive. I have several questions but I'm not sure where to put them.

For now, one question is:

The I-134 is taken with accompanying documentation to the consular interview, right? I don't need to send it to any other place first?

Just want to be clear on that asap so I no how to proceed, I have an immediate family member who is willing and able to cosponsor, just want to know how to instruct him so we are ready when the interview date comes. Thanks.

Timeline

Good question and one that I have, too..

And, I'm definitely going to have a Plan B, Plan C, (Plans D, E & F, if needed.) I don't want anything delayed (back to square one w/ a waiver necessary for second I-129F???) over something as temporary as this at an inopportune moment....

N-400

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Timeline

"Are there any good links for extensive discussion about the I-134? I've seen some here and there, but nothing to exhaustive. I have several questions but I'm not sure where to put them."

I didn't realize the I-134 questions were in this forum but now that the post was moved, I notice there's a pinned I-134 topic at the top of the page. I don't know if you've seen that yet.

N-400

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.