32 posts in this topic

Sorry but the Health Insurance Company isn't stupid or even wrong in this case.

To add someone to Health (Medical) Insurance you need to have a qualifying event. You then have 30 days from that qualifying even to add them. Here is a list of Qualifying Events:

1. Birth

2. Marriage

3. Loss of Other Coverage

4. Open Enrollment

5. New Hire

Immigrating to the US or even obtaining any kind of immigration status is not a qualifying event.

Your husband could have added you after your marriage even with you residing out of the country but any benefit you are entitled to in another country would be minimal.

When we married I choose to not add Anna & Gabby to my insurance as we didn't know when they would be coming to the US. Once we made it to the NVC stage I decided to add them at the next Open Enrollment period which was October. They arrived at the end of November and had coverage!

BOB 4 Ana and someone else who has stated what is posted above is the only one's who has given the correct answer to the OP posting. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just want to add my 2 cents..I am have been in health insurance for about 12years now and i think a point is being missen here.

First of all there was a point made earlier on by a VJ member stating Insurance Policy depends solely on the contract between the Insurance Company and the employer based on what they purchased for the Group Plan.

My VJ family, i love you all! please don't make it sound like the Gentleman's insurance is the wrong insurance. Not at all is what the Group Policy is, which is different from one employer to the other. Nothing at all to do with USCIS or what Visa one entered into the US with.

You can even have 3 people working for same company and if the company has different policies depending on your payroll deduction for your premuims each person will have a different policy as far as benefits but then if everyone in the company has to qualify by like the VJ member said by a qualifying event then that is what it is due to the employers contract.

Please don't make the lady feel bad.

Good Luck my Sister.

Peace to my VJ family members.

:yes: You are right. I work in benefits and it depends on the policy that is negotiated between the carrier and the company.

Edited by candn

07/02/10-K1 Mailed

07/06/10-CSC Received

07/12/10-NOA1 Issued

07/14/10-Touched

07/15/10-Check Cleared

07/16/10-NOA1 Hardcopy

07/21/10-Touched

11/19/10-Touched

11/20/10-Touched

11/22/10-Touched

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.