Kathryn41

Off Topic Part Cinq

1,486 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

well we have had one kid so far ..I gave him two treat bags and he said soemthing like,

"we have been to a hundred places so far and no one has candy.."

Aww. =[

I'm sure you made his night then. :)

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

That's sounds better! :D

This week at work, I had a customer come into the office to ask some questions about his policies. I talked to him for a brief moment and went over to the copier to make some duplicates of documents he wanted for his records. This was the first time I had ever seen or spoke with this customer. When I came back he asked, "so where in Canada are you from?" I told him and we talked about Canada for a few minutes. Apparently he has family in Winnipeg. So he leaves and I turn to the receptionist who sits up front, and ask her why she told him I was from Canada. She looked at me and said, "I didn't! That was weird!" It was weird. Because he had no way of knowing I was Canadian. I guess I just have a Canadian aura or something :P

Was the guy buying insurance on a Mazda? That would have been a dead giveaway :rofl:

Timeline

Most of my patients ask right away if I'm from Canada, or do the same thing--where in Canada your from!! lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

That's so funny Huggles!!! I'd love to hear you talk sometime.. :)

LoL Rob!! *Mazda*.....

I got my passport back today in my married name!! Took about two weeks. Now I can fly internationally and book my tickets in my new name. :)

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

so whats the deal with everyone going crazy in november with these black november black friday things? i've never seen a people wait and then go balistic with shopping like this. even my husband wants us to wait to buy anything until black friday..i just dont get it. in canada i would start shopping for xmas months in advance..not the last 30 days before and make myself crazy with packed stores etc.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

Was the guy buying insurance on a Mazda? That would have been a dead giveaway :rofl:

:lol: Nice! But no, it was a house. I didn't even have the opportunity to say "zed" accidentally.

Most of my patients ask right away if I'm from Canada, or do the same thing--where in Canada your from!! lol

Really? Doesn't that weird you out? I just don't think I talk any differently than anyone here! But I guess people with weird accents might think the same thing :P

I'm a week before Christmas shopper. I won't lie. I'm the person who goes shopping on Christmas Eve and then gets mad because the stores are out of everything I want.

Edited by Hugglebuggles

Timeline

so whats the deal with everyone going crazy in november with these black november black friday things? i've never seen a people wait and then go balistic with shopping like this. even my husband wants us to wait to buy anything until black friday..i just dont get it. in canada i would start shopping for xmas months in advance..not the last 30 days before and make myself crazy with packed stores etc.

Because there are often major deals to be had, especially if you're looking for electronics. Now, there are ways to deal with the inevitable crowds - first, figure out what stores you want to go to. The more things you can get at one store, the better. Secondly, be one of the early birds, by which I mean get up at 4 AM and get in line. While it will be crowded, it won't be horrible. If you need to split up, have a meeting point by X'oclock in the store. Plan to be done by 7-8 AM as that's when the real serious crowds start.

Does that help explain things? :)

Holding my nose and jumping off the cliff.. hope I don't hit any rocks in the water.

"All I want out of life is ice cream and cuddles. Is it too much to ask? Is it?" - Sleep Talkin' Man

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WithoutMusic-theidolhands.pngSquareOneIcon.pngMYV2avaruusvirta.pngCarmenSandiego-theidolhands.pngSuckIt-stellans.jpg

138 days from NOA1 - NOA2

14 days from CIS till NVC case number assigned.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We had to spend most of our evening outside in the parking lot tonight as there was a fire in our apt complex!!! The community is made up of several 2 or 3 story complexes with 8-12 apts in each complex. The fire was in our block, but fortunatley it was at the opposite end, and that the fire station is 2 mins away from here. Withing 30 seconds of calling 911 we heard the first sirens from the fire trucks! And they had the fire contained within about 10-15 mins of arrival. No one was home at the time and no one was seriously injured, there were reports of 2 people with minor burns. I think that they were just treated at the scene as the ambulance never left with anyone in it. It was scary for a few minutes seeing all the smoke, then the flames coming out the back and roof. I know that there is fire blocking between all the units, but you can never be certain how effective it is going to be, especially since the apartments are a bit older. We have insurance and for the most part, stuff is just stuff, but there are a few things with sentimental value that could never be replaced.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

i was at Fresh and Easy today and I bought a 18 pound Jennie-O turkey for 7 bucks :dance: I would have preferred a smaller one but this just means there will be more leftovers...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Timeline

Welcome back, Jill!

So, I've had two kids come to the door for candy and I have like 6 bags. What the heck am I going to do with it all? :P

We had about 60 kids. One of the little ghosts tripped on his sheet coming up the steps. :lol: One family came out as the entire cast of the Wizard of Oz! Dorothy (the Mom) was amazing but said she was going straight home because she couldn't stay in her shoes any longer. lol. But the highlight of the evening was the little scarecrow who could barely walk. He was SO CUTE!!!!! And, oh yeah!.... there were two little girls who came to the door then said "Oh no, sorry. We've already been to your house. We can't take that." :luv: Then right behind them came a really weird mother with her dracula son. AGAIN. I looked at her, confused, but she said nothing. :blink: And I could tell that she knew she'd already been here. Weird. But what's even weirder is how you don't know if you've already been to someone's house! Now I'm wondering if I ever did that. :lol: Our subdivision also had a Halloween Parade but I didn't get to see it because I had to go get Halloween candy. lol. It was fun seeing the little kids (and the parents) all dressed up. We had no kids in our old neighbourhood so this was a treat. (no pun intended. lol)

Oh! We tried out a new church that morning, too, and they made us take a ton of bibles to hand out to the kids. My husband kept joking telling me to give the kids a bit of Jesus. lol. I should have given one to that woman who came by twice. I'll do that next year. :hehe:

We had to spend most of our evening outside in the parking lot tonight as there was a fire in our apt complex!!!

Ohmygosh, Colleen. I'm glad to hear things turned out alright. How scary.

I have happy news!!!!!! My parents are coming next week!! I am SO excited. :dance:

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Timeline

Ohmygosh, Colleen. I'm glad to hear things turned out alright. How scary.

I have happy news!!!!!! My parents are coming next week!! I am SO excited. :dance:

I found out today that although the neighbours were not home, their puppy was and didn't make it out :crying: So last night I had dreams of our dogs being stuck in the apt and not being able to get out....scratching at the doors. Needless to say, I didn't get a lot of sleep.

My parents are coming on Dec 8th and staying till the 30th, and I am super excited already!!! I am not sure Si can say the same thing. I have to give him a lot of credit because I know putting up with in-laws in not the easiest thing in the world....especially for that long. But I tell him it will be nice for him since he won't have to worry about cooking and cleaning much since Mom will help with that, and he can use his time to bond with baby :)

Timeline

We had about 60 kids. One of the little ghosts tripped on his sheet coming up the steps. :lol: One family came out as the entire cast of the Wizard of Oz! Dorothy (the Mom) was amazing but said she was going straight home because she couldn't stay in her shoes any longer. lol. But the highlight of the evening was the little scarecrow who could barely walk. He was SO CUTE!!!!! And, oh yeah!.... there were two little girls who came to the door then said "Oh no, sorry. We've already been to your house. We can't take that." :luv: Then right behind them came a really weird mother with her dracula son. AGAIN. I looked at her, confused, but she said nothing. :blink: And I could tell that she knew she'd already been here. Weird. But what's even weirder is how you don't know if you've already been to someone's house! Now I'm wondering if I ever did that. :lol: Our subdivision also had a Halloween Parade but I didn't get to see it because I had to go get Halloween candy. lol. It was fun seeing the little kids (and the parents) all dressed up. We had no kids in our old neighbourhood so this was a treat. (no pun intended. lol)

Oh! We tried out a new church that morning, too, and they made us take a ton of bibles to hand out to the kids. My husband kept joking telling me to give the kids a bit of Jesus. lol. I should have given one to that woman who came by twice. I'll do that next year. :hehe:

I missed trick or treaters this year :( . We normally have a good number come to our house but this Hallowe'en we were visiting a friend in North Carolina instead so there was no one home to greet the tricksters. I made sure my cat-sitter didn't leave the front porch on so at least no one would have been disappointed by not getting a response at the door. As our friend lives in an apartment complex that doesn't seem to have any kids that we could see, we didn't get to have any visitors, although we did get to see a few out on the road when we were coming home from visiting the Art Museum. I always loved seeing the kids who came in home-made costumes - some of them were so incredibly creative - like your Wizard of Oz family.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

I found out today that although the neighbours were not home, their puppy was and didn't make it out :crying: So last night I had dreams of our dogs being stuck in the apt and not being able to get out....scratching at the doors. Needless to say, I didn't get a lot of sleep.

My parents are coming on Dec 8th and staying till the 30th, and I am super excited already!!! I am not sure Si can say the same thing. I have to give him a lot of credit because I know putting up with in-laws in not the easiest thing in the world....especially for that long. But I tell him it will be nice for him since he won't have to worry about cooking and cleaning much since Mom will help with that, and he can use his time to bond with baby :)

How sad about the pup Colleens. :(

Bonus points to your husband, 3 weeks with the in-laws!

My MIL is here now and it's only for four days...not that I'm counting. :whistle:

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Timeline

My class is doing a unit on electricity, and today we were doing static electricity.... so I did the classic, rub the balloon on your hair and let is stand on end. I thought the kids would roll their eyes and go back to their cell phones (haha they actually don't bring them to school in grade 6, shockingly).... but they were so thrilled! I was shocked and happy all at once, and gave them some time to use the balloons themselves (learn through exploring and all that), and they were seriously blown away (no pun intended... balloons......).

I love kids, just for that reason. It made my entire week just to see them so happy with a simple balloon... they were all running up, "MISS!! MISS!! look at me!!" haha... it was just a great teachable moment :)

May 25th, 2010 : Filed I-129F at CSC

June 1st, 2010 : NoA1

June 7th, 2010 : Touch

October 19th, 2010: Touch

October 20th, 2010: NoA2! (141 days)

November 8th, 2010: Received Packet 3 from Montreal

November 10th, 2010: Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

November 25th: Received Packet 4 & Scheduled interview!

March 8th, 2011: Interview in Montreal - Approved!

April 30th, 2011: Move to CA

May 6th, 2011: Married <3

May 31st, 2011: Filed AOS

June 6th, 2011: NoA1

June 13th, 2011: Received Notice for Biometrics

July 7th, 2011: Biometrics

August 22, 2011: AOS Interview - Approved!

August 29th, 2011: Greencard in hand!

Timeline

My class is doing a unit on electricity, and today we were doing static electricity.... so I did the classic, rub the balloon on your hair and let is stand on end. I thought the kids would roll their eyes and go back to their cell phones (haha they actually don't bring them to school in grade 6, shockingly).... but they were so thrilled! I was shocked and happy all at once, and gave them some time to use the balloons themselves (learn through exploring and all that), and they were seriously blown away (no pun intended... balloons......).

I love kids, just for that reason. It made my entire week just to see them so happy with a simple balloon... they were all running up, "MISS!! MISS!! look at me!!" haha... it was just a great teachable moment :)

That's cool!

I remember one Heritage Day (third Monday in February) our re-enactment group had a display set up in one of the malls. One of the hands-on activities we did was demonstrate old fashioned 'hand-made' wooden toys and let the kids play with them. It was such a hoot to see these kids come with all of their electronic gameboys and other such devices - then immediately put them away and spend as much time as they could trying these old fashioned toys. They loved them and all wanted to know where they could buy them. That was actually the genesis of a new company - three of my friends started to make and sell these old-fashioned wooden toys and are now so successful that they have a hard time keeping up with demand. Their products are sold in historic sites and museums across North America - and all from the realization that 'modern' kids still like good, old-fashioned, hands-on activites :)

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.