Kathryn41

Off Topic Part Cinq

1,486 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, I know. This got me too. I am listed on my husband's health care plan so have to give his SSN as well. Fortunately, both his number and mine are listed on my military ID card - I can still remember my SIN but not my SNN!

You have been in the US for this long and only now just got your first blood test? I've lost count of how many I've had - although I do get annoyed that every time I visit my doctor, even if it if for a sinus infection or something like that, they draw blood before they do anything else - grr! That being said, I haven't noticed any difference in the process/procedure between here and Canada - except of course, here I have to pay a co-pay and in Canada there was no out of pocket expense.

they usually ask for mine when I go to get blood work etc but I tell then I don't know it and that I am under my husband's insurance anyways and they are always fine with that....

also the only doctor I have been to where they actually draw blood in the office is one of the OB-Gyn's I have been to, with all the other doctors I have to go somewhere else to get blood-work done.. I have been poked so many times I have lost count and I used to hate getting my blood drawn but now I am used to it unless I get a person who doesn't know how to do it right.. ouch!

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Timeline

ok, my mom really needs to get her own Facebook page ...lol

the other day she posted something to me using my dad's page and today she used my little sister's page...lol

The bigger question is..... what the heck are your Dad and your sister thinking giving your Mom their passwords? :lol:

Okay, this is totally dating myself but back when I first started working in IT we used VAX/VMS which had one of the first "email" systems. Sometimes, if someone left their desk without logging out, we would jump on there and send a global message stating some stupid thing or another and the person would get really confused when they'd come back and everyone would be asking them questions or commenting on whatever "situation" we'd dreamed up..... because they'd have no idea what was going on. Global messages weren't really global back then because only a few of us had access to the system, so it was a lot more fun and games. lol

Yeah, I know. This got me too. I am listed on my husband's health care plan so have to give his SSN as well. Fortunately, both his number and mine are listed on my military ID card - I can still remember my SIN but not my SNN!

I have no idea what my SSN is! But I can totally tell them my SIN. lol.

You have been in the US for this long and only now just got your first blood test?

Let's just say I have to be close to death before I'll visit a doctor. Or a dentist for that matter. :lol: The Canadian doctor I went to in FL told me to go give blood in order to get free blood testing. :lol: So I waited for the blood donor truck to come and filled out pages and pages of questions and signed it in blood and then I got interviewed and they denied me. Said I'd spent too much time in the UK so they didn't want my donation for fear of Mad Cow Disease. (I am definitely a mad cow sometimes but I am not diseased. :hehe: ) By the time I had my followup appointment with my doctor we were relocated and my Mum had her heart attack and I've spent more time in Canada this year than in the US so I never got to do the bloodwork or the stress test. My doctor in Canada knew me really well. If I went in for a quick visit to get something signed or whatever he wouldn't let me out of the office without getting a physical. I'd tell him "I'll make an appointment and come back" and he'd say "No, you won't come back. We'll do it now." :lol:

I was having a moment of sadness and was looking through pictures on my phone and decided that everyone must see my...make you smile photo. My husband and son :P

That's hilarious. :lol:

iagree.gif

Timeline

I am not sure if this email is legit or not.. I am leaning towards no...

I am signed up with that site...

Hello,

My name is Christopher _____ and my wife name is Sandra _____ We are a very busy parent, I got your email from (www.babysitters.com), We are coming to your state in (), our work require almost 15 hours a day, because we are a small scale business owner. We need your service for our daughter, she's 4years and 10 months old. Below are the 3 offer we have, you are required to choose the once you can do or take 2 out of the 3 offer or you can even take all if only it is convenient for you.

1- Monday to Wednesday 9:10AM -- 4:10PM.

2- Thursday to Friday 4:10PM to 7:40PM.

3- Saturday 10:00AM to 5:00PM.

We are paying $20.00 for weekends and $22.00 for week days and evening per hour. Let me know which one you are interested to do out of the three offer or if you are willing to take more than one please let me know as soon as possible. Please get back to me with your area zip code so that i can know how far is our house address to yours

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would say at those rates that something seems fishy.....considering you have seen a lot of ads avertising what works out to $2-$3 and hour!! And why would they care how close you live to them....you will be the one driving back and forth.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

But he said 'per hour' at the end of the sentence? Sounds like english is not their first language. Perhaps you should suggest speaking over the phone to discuss.

It does seem like she should be in school though, but maybe she starts next year?

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Depending on her school district, she will start kindergarten.

The hourly rates do seem to be above the normal rate, and English does appear to be their second (or seventh, who knows) language. I would be inclined to think that it is some sort of scam, however, it has been my experience in the past that sometimes, foreigners don't actually know the going rate for goods and services. :whistle:

When I was teaching, my standard tutoring rate was $40-50 per hour depending on the subject. I got hired by a family who had just moved to the U.S. 6 months prior to teach their 6 year old son english, at an hourly rate of $90 per hour. They thought they got a bargain as that was $10 below the going rate in Japan where he was getting tutoring before. I wasn't about to argue with them.

Timeline

oh and I find it it kind of fishy that they say from 9:10 to 4:10 and 4:10 to 7:40... why be so specific.. they also leave out the part about what month they are coming to my State... and why would they just say state and not California?.

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

sounds like a scam to me - they are not even in the state and yet they want your zip code. not sure how your ad is listed but i'm sure it's something a bit more specific than oh i'm in cali. i suspect it will be one of these "send us money for background checks on you" deals.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

well My son is 4 years old and he will not be in kindergarden till next year. But that sounds a bit too steep for childcare 22 dollars an hour?? I want to be the babysitter for that kind of money, heck I will do alll the shifts lol. Its worth replying back to but it does seem quite fishy

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

sounds like a scam to me - they are not even in the state and yet they want your zip code. not sure how your ad is listed but i'm sure it's something a bit more specific than oh i'm in cali. i suspect it will be one of these "send us money for background checks on you" deals.

yeah that is probably what would happen..

I already deleted the email without responding..

I have gotten a few emails similar to that in the past...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So I'm leaving Canada today, I'm actually on the megabus now. I just have to say that the megabus is awesome! No problems at all, cheaper than driving and less stress than driving - and well if you book ahead of time it's cheaper than driving too. 20.50 for a return trip to Toronto to Philly.

The wifi is good, the busses are clean, the drivers are nice. I strongly recommend it to anyone who has it in their area.

:)

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

So I'm leaving Canada today, I'm actually on the megabus now. I just have to say that the megabus is awesome! No problems at all, cheaper than driving and less stress than driving - and well if you book ahead of time it's cheaper than driving too. 20.50 for a return trip to Toronto to Philly.

The wifi is good, the busses are clean, the drivers are nice. I strongly recommend it to anyone who has it in their area.

:)

Wow - sounds good - I was thinking of trying them sometime

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I meant to say: "Cheaper than flying" but I guess I mentioned driving twice.

Yea no problems at all. I was pretty nervous because I had heard many mixed reviews because people who travel a lot between NYC and Philly - those busses can get crowded. But both trips to and from Philly are fine, there's lots of space, wifi works, and it's comfortable and cleaner than a greyhound.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Going through the border I could hear a lot of people saying they were visiting their boyfriends or girlfriends in Canada... made me wonder how many would eventually find their way here if and when the goings get serious and they decide to move to the states. I also wondered how many would just come down for a "visit" and get married one day.

:lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.