Kathryn41

Off Topic Part Cinq

1,486 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Since you have legal status in the USA, you (as the CDN, or the USA citizen) can rent a car from the USA to canada, as long as the car company allows it! A normal Canadian citizen (no green card, work visa) can't (or not suppose to be able to,lol) rent a car from USA to Canada! Many Cdns that take those Alaskan cruise tours then rent a car in Alaska and TRY to drive to the Yukon, find out the hard way!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Speaking of renting cars, kind of, when I am at the POE stage (months and months and months away)... I am planning on renting a car with my fiance and driving down to the US with him. Does anyone have any experience in renting a car one way from Canada to the US?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Beautiful view Krikit! Good luck with the unpacking. :)

Sprailenes - made your smores cupcakes this week. Both of my boys are visiting ...the cupcakes are going fast!

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Timeline

Nice place Krikit! Do you or your husband golf? If not I think it may be a good time to take it up! :lol:

Edited by Hugglebuggles

Timeline

Speaking of renting cars, kind of, when I am at the POE stage (months and months and months away)... I am planning on renting a car with my fiance and driving down to the US with him. Does anyone have any experience in renting a car one way from Canada to the US?

We looked into doing a one way rental when I moved to the US. We were looking at an SUV, not a car, but couldn't find one who was willing to rent in our area (Chatham). There really was no one willing to do a one way rental from Canada to the US - even in moving vans U-Haul was the only one and that was the U-Haul located in Windsor. What we ended up doing was to have my now husband fly into Detroit, rent a vehicle at the airport, drive it into Canada, pick me and the cats up and then drive us back to Atlanta area. We had no trouble arranging a one way from Detroit to Atlanta with a side trip into Canada.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

We looked into doing a one way rental when I moved to the US. We were looking at an SUV, not a car, but couldn't find one who was willing to rent in our area (Chatham). There really was no one willing to do a one way rental from Canada to the US - even in moving vans U-Haul was the only one and that was the U-Haul located in Windsor. What we ended up doing was to have my now husband fly into Detroit, rent a vehicle at the airport, drive it into Canada, pick me and the cats up and then drive us back to Atlanta area. We had no trouble arranging a one way from Detroit to Atlanta with a side trip into Canada.

I think this is exactly what we're going to end up doing. Thanks for the input :)

Timeline

They just hired a new golf pro at my work and he just recently moved here from Toronto. I was so excited when they told me this. He starts tomorrow. Can't wait!

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

They just hired a new golf pro at my work and he just recently moved here from Toronto. I was so excited when they told me this. He starts tomorrow. Can't wait!

Cool! :dancing: What will be the first topic of conversation?

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Timeline

Not sure. I'm just happy that there's so many Canadians around here. Quite a few Canadians are moving here and joining the country club, and now I'm working with them. It's nice.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

this was posted in the OT...

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/272065-very-cool-deal/

I just made one for my SIL... it only cost me 9 dollars for shipping.. today is the last day though..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

so for awhile now I have wanted to get a Canadian license plate frame for my car.. so I told my hubby my idea and he doesn't think it is a good one but he wasn't very clear on why not.. :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

aww darn... i wish i'd known about that free book thing. Ah well!

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Timeline

so for awhile now I have wanted to get a Canadian license plate frame for my car.. so I told my hubby my idea and he doesn't think it is a good one but he wasn't very clear on why not.. :P

Yea I have a Toronto Maple Leafs sticker on my car, and I have gotten the smack talk from people... all in good fun though. :lol:

I had an "Eh?" magnetic sticker on my car but someone stole it.... guess they were wishing they were Canadian too and just really wanted it. ;)

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Timeline

Welcome back Krikit! Oh thats a nice view!! I did not realize you had finally found a place, you must be so relieved!

Thanks Kim! Well, I'm semi relieved. lol. This was the fourth house we put an offer in on. It's a short sale..... which is an oxymoron. lol. It was supposed to close over a month ago but the seller and the mortgage insurance company are still in negotiations. However, the bank has accepted our offer so we did a pre-occupancy agreement. I don't know if it was the sellers or the builder who designed the interior of this house, but they did some really strange things. Things which I will have to fix eventually. However, they did some really awesome things, too, so it all evens out in the long run, I suppose. But I'd still like to grumble that it would have been cheaper to take care of at the time of the build rather than to retrofit it. I reserve my right to grumble!! LOL

My husband and I are going back to visit his family next summer for his sister's wedding. We weren't sure if one was able to rent a car in the US and drive it into Canada. His parents live an hour or so north of the Washington state border so having a domestic flight makes so much sense. But again, we weren't sure how taking a rental car over the border would go, and we don't really need a rental car for an entire week. Would anyone be kind enough to share their experiences?

We flew to Seattle last summer, rented a car outside the airport, and crossed the border with it. In fact, my husband was asked to come back to work early so I had to drive him back down to Seattle to catch his flight, then I drove back to Vancouver so I did it twice. lol. The best car rental deals are if you rent for a week so, even though you don't need it for a week, that may be your best cost. Enterprise does not allow cars to cross the border so you'll want to check whether the company allows it, first. I've always found my best deals at Hertz. You'll want to make sure you rent from a place which is not located at the airport..... it will save you hundreds of dollars. Most rental agencies have shuttles to the major airports so it makes it pretty easy.

Beautiful view Krikit! Good luck with the unpacking. :)

Thanks OBX! I have been in unpacking hell. lol. But the movers broke/ruined some valuable items so I told them I'd do it myself and asked them to leave. I now have 449 boxes to unpack, and put away, within 75 days so I can file a damage claim. :(

Nice place Krikit! Do you or your husband golf? If not I think it may be a good time to take it up! :lol:

Thanks Huggles! Yes, my husband loves to golf. And so do our friends and family so it will be nice when they visit. I have dabbled in it but I have an old neck injury to worry about so I get very scared at the thought of the pain. lol. But my son-in-law made me promise to take it up again or he gets my car..... and I'm not giving him my car! :lol:

Oh, how exciting! I wish I could meet someone from Toronto. I know they've got to be around here somewhere! lol

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.