Kathryn41

The Vent Part Quatre

1,192 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

yes this is my guess too but he shouldn't be pushing his family away...

that might be a cry for help.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Ahhhhhh, It's insomnia time again for me. I didn't hardly sleep on saturday night and sunday night, and stayed home from work on monday because I was just too exhausted to go. I've tried just about everything over the counter and nothing seems to have any sustained results. I've missed 4 days from work in the last 3 months because of insomnia and I'm going to have to get some sort of diagnosis soon as this is really becoming a problem. I'm just afraid that they will prescribe me with some sort of tranquilizer or other chemical medication. I know how addicting they can be, and I'm not about to start taking chemical prescriptions for it as I have a bit of an addictive personality. Hopefully the doctor will have some sort of remedy that I can take.

On another note, it was 44 celcius (110+ farenheit) yesterday, And right about 9 p.m. when it had cooled down to about 35 celcius, the power went out on my block. At some point in the night, the power came back on, except for in the kitchen, where the fridge is rapidly warming up.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Working nights, then trying to sleep during night can be difficult!! I occasionally use a night time tea, and it seems to work!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Working nights, then trying to sleep during night can be difficult!! I occasionally use a night time tea, and it seems to work!

I picked up some tea at the store last week, but have yet to actually try it. That is going to require that I actually find the kettle :lol: I tried to switch my schedule around and go to the gym like 90 minutes before I planned to go to sleep rather than right after work, but that was a bad idea. While I was physically exhausted, I found that my mind and heart were racing. Not very conducive to sleeping.

Not that I work out, but I have also heard that working out right before you sleep isn't actually helpful to sleeping.

My husband used to have sleeping issues, and he was taking Melatonin? Have you tried that? It has weird side effects apparently, but really, what doesn't.

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: Timeline

I find melatonin works great as long as I get to bed early enough because what it does for me is put me in a deep sleep towards the end of the sleep cycle. But you're not supposed to take it if you have high blood pressure, though. Definitely stay away from alcohol for a bit, as well as caffeine. They tend to interrupt your sleep. Also, there's a sleeping pill on the market which is non-addictive. Can't remember what it's called but I know someone who takes them and was reassured by their doctor that they're fine.

I have a few books you can read that will put you to sleep in record time! lol

Oh. Ciggies will wreck your sleep too.

iagree.gif

Timeline

OHhh, didn't know about the blood pressure considerations with Melatonin. I have high(ish) blood pressure. Everyone on here suggested melatonin last time this happened about a month ago, and I tried it, but it didn't really help. I'm going to actually try reading. Even boring books won't put me to sleep, but I think it would help my mind calm down.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It could be that through life style, work patterns and diet you have a number of nutritional deficiencies which can cause or exacerbate insomnia. I found that taking extra magnesium and vitamin D really helps me, and if I do have an occasional difficult time falling asleep I add 5 HTP or Valerian and it seems to do the trick. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_249/ai_114820705/ and http://www.usdoctor.com/insomnia.htm

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ahhhhhh, It's insomnia time again for me. I didn't hardly sleep on saturday night and sunday night, and stayed home from work on monday because I was just too exhausted to go. I've tried just about everything over the counter and nothing seems to have any sustained results. I've missed 4 days from work in the last 3 months because of insomnia and I'm going to have to get some sort of diagnosis soon as this is really becoming a problem. I'm just afraid that they will prescribe me with some sort of tranquilizer or other chemical medication. I know how addicting they can be, and I'm not about to start taking chemical prescriptions for it as I have a bit of an addictive personality. Hopefully the doctor will have some sort of remedy that I can take.

Another thing to try is to reset your circadian rhythm using blue light therapy. Check out this phillips website and this website. It is amazing how helpful 15 minutes each morning has been to helping me wake up each day and feel tired at night and go to sleep. Lots of research backs it up and there is no nasty side effects. It was worth the $150 for the light (I bought mine off ebay).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Try reading some of the posts on this board... :lol:

government manuals always did the trick for me.

rob, if it's too hot there for ya, kansas has been in the 70's today.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

It could be that through life style, work patterns and diet you have a number of nutritional deficiencies which can cause or exacerbate insomnia. I found that taking extra magnesium and vitamin D really helps me, and if I do have an occasional difficult time falling asleep I add 5 HTP or Valerian and it seems to do the trick. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_249/ai_114820705/ and http://www.usdoctor.com/insomnia.htm

Yikes, That second article had some disturbing facts regarding afternoon naps. I generally take a 30-60 minute nap every day. :blush:

Oh, good point. The B complex vitamins are known stress reducers also. I buy the Stresstabs vitamins in Canada and bring them back with me. I haven't really found anything like that here.

I've had an on and off battle with insomnia since I was in my mid-teens. Whenever I would see the doctor about it when I was in high school or university, I was always told "oh, you're just stressing about your grades or some girl you have a crush on" and completely discount it as anything more than teenage anxiety. In my young adulthood, the doctors i've seen have given me a wide array of remedies ranging from yoga to a shot of whiskey before bed. I don't think any of them actually took it seriously though. I did some reading last night and tried a breathing exercise last night to make sure that I was calm both in body and mind before I tried to go to sleep. Unfortunately, I really can't tell if it helped. I did fall asleep rather quickly, but I can't really say whether that was because I was extremely tired, or because the reading and exercise helped. I will keep trying it just in case.

Timeline

I was doing some reading about melatonin, and to my surprise, I got an email from someone at work about it. It was however, a warning about it. It seems that melatonin is a common ingredient in an alcohol/narcotic drink that is known as Purple Drank. It is codeine cough syrup, melatonin, lemon & lime soda, and vodka. :dead:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.