HomewardBound

Received IR1 - Now what?

10 posts in this topic

I'm a USC living in Australia with my Australian husband and two dual citizen kids. We applied for, and received, an IR1 visa through the U.S. Consulate in Sydney. It arrived today (YAY)! We have six months to enter the U.S. I have some questions, though.

First, we used to live in the U.S. My husband had applied for an Adjustment of Status from his H1B visa and had a Employment Authorization Document while his AOS was pending. After five years and little movement on the AOS (9/11 happened during that time and we got caught up in the upheaval of the INS), we moved to Australia to help his family out (father was ill). My husband has a SSN and his SS Card says, "Valid for Work Only With INS Authorization." With his new IR1 Visa and that card, will he be able to work immediately upon entering the U.S.? Should we order a new SS Card with the same number? Is the reference to the INS going to cause problems?

Second, his IR1 Visa reads "Upon Endorsement Serves as Temporary I-551 Evidencing Permanent Residence for 1 Year." It has an expiration date of 1 year from the date we are required to enter the U.S. Once we enter the U.S., what do we need to do to extend this? We thought it was going to be for a longer period of time.

Basically, what is the process from this point forward? (Sorry if this seems like a silly question :blush: )

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

hey i dont have any help with ur questions, but i just wanted to say congratulations.

Pharmacist

MARRIED - 08/23/03

BABY BOY! - 09/22/04

12/23/05- MAILED I-130

01/06/06- NOA 1 FOR I-130

01/18/06- MAILED I-129F

01/26/06- NOA 1 FOR I-129F

02/28/06- APPROVED I-129F

03/06/06- APPROVAL FOR I-129F COMES IN MAIL

03/30/06- APPROVED I-130

04/06/06 APPROVAL FOR I-130 COMES IN MAIL

WAITING FOR NVC TO ISSUE K3 CASE # since 2/28/06

WAITED FOR NVC TO ISSUE IR1 CASE # since 3/30/06 CASE # ASSIGNED APRIL 17, 2006

AT THE NVC

Case # - 4/17/06

DS 3032/AOS fee bill generated 4/24/06

DS 3032 emailed April 25, 2006

AOS fee bill mailed on 4/26/06 via USPS; rec'd 4/27/06

DS 3032 updated on 5/3/06(NVC emailed us back after 9 days)

I-864 package mailed out on May 11, 2006 via USPS overnight; received at NVC May 12, 2006

Received IV Fee Bill and and I-864 package on the same day in the mail on May 13, 2006

IV fee bill overnighted same day May 13, 2006

5/26 checklist rec'd ds 230 missing

5/30 ds 230 package rec'd

6/7 I mail them back the ds 230

6/8 They receive the ds 230

6/12 it is entered into their system

6/29 CASE COMPLETE

07/06 - CASE HAS BEEN FORWARDED TO CONSULAR POST

07/12 - PACKET 4 COMES TO HIS HOUSE

08/04 - MEDICAL EXAM - HAS NO DISEASES CONFIRMED

08/08 - INTERVIEW AT 8 AM. PLEASE PRAY FOR US.

08/23 - OUR 3RD WEDDING ANNIVERSARY

09/22 - OUR BABY TURNS 2!

I'm a USC living in Australia with my Australian husband and two dual citizen kids. We applied for, and received, an IR1 visa through the U.S. Consulate in Sydney. It arrived today (YAY)! We have six months to enter the U.S. I have some questions, though.

First, we used to live in the U.S. My husband had applied for an Adjustment of Status from his H1B visa and had a Employment Authorization Document while his AOS was pending. After five years and little movement on the AOS (9/11 happened during that time and we got caught up in the upheaval of the INS), we moved to Australia to help his family out (father was ill). My husband has a SSN and his SS Card says, "Valid for Work Only With INS Authorization." With his new IR1 Visa and that card, will he be able to work immediately upon entering the U.S.? Should we order a new SS Card with the same number? Is the reference to the INS going to cause problems?

Second, his IR1 Visa reads "Upon Endorsement Serves as Temporary I-551 Evidencing Permanent Residence for 1 Year." It has an expiration date of 1 year from the date we are required to enter the U.S. Once we enter the U.S., what do we need to do to extend this? We thought it was going to be for a longer period of time.

Basically, what is the process from this point forward? (Sorry if this seems like a silly question :blush: )

With the CR-1, your husband can work immediately upon his arrival in the USA as a permanent resident. With his green card proof, he can go to the local social security office and explaim them that "Valid for Work ony with INS Authorization" can be removed now, since he is a permanent resident of USA. Social Security people know that a permanent resident can work in the USA and does not need INS authorization. The social security people then will mail him a social securiy card without that sentence. He will have same social security number.

It means, you are married for more than two years and after one year upon his arrival in the USA, he will be eligible to apply for US citizenship, if you two remain married (of course, you will, I am just telling you the rules).

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

1. Yes he can work once he get the new SS Card without ristriction. Once you get here you can go to SS office and bring your SS Card and your IR1 stamp. I think they will give him the same number :unsure: I don't think his previous case will going to cause him any problem.

2. His IR1 visa stamp is just a temporary one. once you get here he will going to get his Green Card in the mail. Good Luck!

11-1999---Meet in Taiwan

08-2002---Wedding in Philippines

10-2003---Enter U.S.A.

07-2006---10 yrs Green Card

11-2010---Proud to be U.S. Citizen :joy:

12 Yrs Married and counting (L) (L) (L)

IR5 (Mother)

01-16-2014---I130 Sent

01-21-2014---NOA1 Recv

02-22-2014---RFE Recv

02-27-2014---RFE Docs Sent

03-14-2014---I130 Approved

03-20-2013---Case Shipped to NVC

03-21-2014---NOA2 Approval Recv

04-01-2014---NVC Recv Approved Papers

04-30-2014---Sent email request to NVC for expedited process

04-30-2014---Case # and Invoice ID # assigned

05-02-2014---Recv NVC email asking for foreign contact # to complete expedited request

05-05-2014---DS 261 available and completed

05-07-2014---AOS show up payable and paid

05-09-2014---AOS Paid (shows processed 5/08/2014)

05-09-2014---Case Sent To US Embassy, Manila

05-11-2014---DS-260 Completed Online

05-12-2014---Case is READY!

06-25-2014---Medical Exam done in one day but ask to come back for Sputum test

07-07-2014---Interview Schedule @ 6:30AM Cancelled due to sputum test

07-08-2014---to 7-10-2014 (3 days Sputum Test) Negative result

09-09-2014---Sputum Final Result: (PASSED!!! 9-08-14 )

09-16-2014---Interview (221(g) for NBI a.k.a. name, I864 Orig. Signature & NSO verification)

09-25-2014---Documents sent via 2go

09-29-2014---221g documents delivered. & signed by L. Bernardino

09-30-2014---and 10-01-2014,Touched but still on AP

10-07-2014---Email sent to USEM

10-15-2014---Called USEM

10-16-2014---Sent Fax to USEM of approved expedited letter from U.S. Embassy General

10-21-2014---Touched but still on AP

10-22-2014---Visa Issued :joy:

"It's good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it's good to check up once in a while to make sure you haven't lost the things that money can't buy."

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

With the CR-1, your husband can work immediately upon his arrival in the USA as a permanent resident. With his green card proof, he can go to the local social security office and explain them that "Valid for Work only with INS Authorization" can be removed now, since he is a permanent resident of USA. Social Security people know that a permanent resident can work in the USA and does not need INS authorization. The social security people then will mail him a social securiy card without that sentence. He will have same social security number.

It means, you are married for more than two years and after one year upon his arrival in the USA, he will be eligible to apply for US citizenship, if you two remain married (of course, you will, I am just telling you the rules).

This is not quite right.... You have to live in the US with your spouse for 3 years or more after activating your visa before you can apply to be a US citizen...

The OP mentioned that they are getting an IRI visa which means they have been married for over 2 years....

after you activate the IR1 visa you will get your Greencard in the mail a few weeks later that is good for 10 years.... Like was mentioned in an earlier post, the stamp in your passport is just temporary and serves as your green card till you get the actual green card in the mail....

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

This is not quite right.... You have to live in the US with your spouse for 3 years or more after activating your visa before you can apply to be a US citizen...

The OP mentioned that they are getting an IRI visa which means they have been married for over 2 years....

after you activate the IR1 visa you will get your Greencard in the mail a few weeks later that is good for 10 years.... Like was mentioned in an earlier post, the stamp in your passport is just temporary and serves as your green card till you get the actual green card in the mail....

Thank you all for your replies and information. In order to activate the IR1, do we have to contact USCIS once we get to the US or does just entering the country automatically activate it?

Thank you all for your replies and information. In order to activate the IR1, do we have to contact USCIS once we get to the US or does just entering the country automatically activate it?

You will go through immigration at your POE to the US. Have a read of some POE experiences HERE

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

You will go through immigration at your POE to the US. Have a read of some POE experiences HERE

Ah. Cool. Thanks for that link....I'm just starting to read it and it looks like it's exactly what I need. You know, they really should give you some sort of pamphlet or something with this information. Do they have those and we just didn't get one? All we got back from the Consulate was my husband's passport w/ visa and the sealed envelope that we have to take to the Port of Entry.

:off to read (and pack!):

One correction I wanna make from my previous post. Yes, as soon as the foreign alien spouse enter into the USA with CR-1 visa, he/she becomes a permanent resident of USA. He/she will receive the permanent green card by mail after few weeks. Therfore, he/she does not need to remove the conditions. In the meantime, the seal in the passport can be used as the proof of the permanent residency. The Permanent resident can apply for the US citizenship after 3 years (You can apply after 2 years 9 months) of becoming a permanent resident.

NVC Process of I-130:

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

One correction I wanna make from my previous post. Yes, as soon as the foreign alien spouse enter into the USA with CR-1 visa, he/she becomes a permanent resident of USA. He/she will receive the permanent green card by mail after few weeks. Therfore, he/she does not need to remove the conditions. In the meantime, the seal in the passport can be used as the proof of the permanent residency. The Permanent resident can apply for the US citizenship after 3 years (You can apply after 2 years 9 months) of becoming a permanent resident.

Another Correction: I mistakenly mentioned CR-1 instead of IR-1. So the corrected post is:

Yes, as soon as the foreign alien spouse enter into the USA with IR-1 visa, he/she becomes a permanent resident of USA. He/she will receive the permanent green card by mail after few weeks. Therfore, he/she does not need to remove the conditions. In the meantime, the seal in the passport can be used as the proof of the permanent residency. The Permanent resident can apply for the US citizenship after 3 years (You can apply after 2 years 9 months) of becoming a permanent resident.

Edited by simple_male

NVC Process of I-130:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.