MrBr

K-1 - Drug Test

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello all,

I just had my I129F petition approved.

The next step I will start to do the medical examination/tests.

I have a question.

Before anything, I'm not a drug user, I had smoked weed a couple times in my life (no problem with who like to smoke :-))

This last Febuary, I was in a party, what I drank a little bit more that what I suppose to and I did a few hits in a weed cigarette.

I hear that the one of the medical exams is the drug addiction test. I was reading that exists few types of test, from urine/blood to the DNA (hair test).

What I hear that the hair test can show if you have in touch with some drug to longer than 6 months (in some times).

Do you guys know what kind of drug test do they do? Is the hair one?

Thanks again for all help,

MrBr

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

From what I heard it's a blood test and if it detects any drug use you're probably looking at a denial and a need for a waiver. Others might have better info though as I've been through it in 2006 and had no concerns about the tests.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I just had my medical done this month and they didn't do any drug test. The only exams they asked me was blood (for syphilis) and x-ray for tuberculosis. My appointment was with Dr. Joaquim in RJ.

He did ask if I use any drugs though, but didn't go any further.

CR-1 Journey - California Service Center

I-130 timeline:
I-130 NOA1 - 05th Nov, 2009
I-130 NOA2 - 10th February, 2010 Yay!!!!
"Your I-130 was approved in 97 days from your NOA1 date."

NVC Journey:
02-16-2010: NVC Case # Assigned
03-31-2010: Case Complete!!
04-12-2010: Interview date assigned by NVC.
05-11-2010: Medical appointment in Rio

05-13-2010: Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!

06-02-2010: POE in Washington DC - Finally home!

July 30, 2010 - Received the Green Card after receiving 4 welcome letters! USCIS see ya later!

2 YEARS LATER......

03-02-2012: Elegible to lift conditions
06-02-2012: Temporary GC expires

12-20-2012: Permanent GC received

6 MONTHS LATER......

06/03/2013: n400 Filled

10/22/2013: Citizenship test and oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello all,

I have a question.

Before anything, I'm not a drug user, I had smoked weed a couple times in my life (no problem with who like to smoke :-))

This last Febuary, I was in a party, what I drank a little bit more that what I suppose to and I did a few hits in a weed cigarette.

I hear that the one of the medical exams is the drug addiction test. I was reading that exists few types of test, from urine/blood to the DNA (hair test).

What I hear that the hair test can show if you have in touch with some drug to longer than 6 months (in some times).

MrBr

My wife and oldest son had blood tests for drugs. They are also asked if they had EVER used illegal drugs including marijuana. The youngest son was 13 at the time of the medical and they did not ask him this question and I am not sure if they did a drug test.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello all,

I have a question.

MrBr

The pot is out of your system. Don't worry too much. And while answering honestly is the best policy throughout this process, answering in the affirmative to the question about past drug use during the medical can create major problems.

owl.jpg

I-129F Sent : 2010-02-01

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-02-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-03-12

NVC Received : 2010-03-18

NVC Left : 2010-03-22

Consulate Received : 2010-04-12

Packet 3 Received : 2010-04-14

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-04-16 (logged 2010-04-27)

Packet 4 Received : 2010-04-29

Interview Date : 2010-06-02

Interview Result : APPROVED!!!!!!

Visa in hand: 2010-06-09

POE: 2010-06-11

We is married now!: 2010-06-24

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The pot is out of your system. Don't worry too much. And while answering honestly is the best policy throughout this process, answering in the affirmative to the question about past drug use during the medical can create major problems.

Exactly. And if you answer "no I never used drugs" and they do a drugs test (like a hair sample) and find out that you did INDEED use drugs then we have a misrepresentation issue.

Never lie to immigration. The waiver might be a pain in the ####### but it's possible whereas misrep isn't. I believe you'll need to see a psych about using.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You are now between a hard place and a rock. Either way this can come back to bite you. :bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk:

no one is gonna do hair samples..sheesh...just say no..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

no one is gonna do hair samples..sheesh...just say no..

:thumbs:

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ugh joevegas, you know this for a fact? How..... I have seen plently of visa denied for drug use...

but not as a result of a hair sample... it was either result of blood work or verbal admission

Moving thread to:

US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

You are almost there and now you have to deal with the embassy. This is the place to post your experiences or questions related to this last step before moving to the US. Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Exactly. And if you answer "no I never used drugs" and they do a drugs test (like a hair sample) and find out that you did INDEED use drugs then we have a misrepresentation issue.

Never lie to immigration. The waiver might be a pain in the ####### but it's possible whereas misrep isn't. I believe you'll need to see a psych about using.

Exactly. If the Visa Officer asks you, "did you do drugs?" then your a little bit screwed. But no where does it say a misrepresentation can occur for lying to a doctor. ;)

Edited by Moonandstar

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

-Benjamin Franklin

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You say drug addiction.

While I'd never advocate lying, the fact of the matter is that exposure or one-off use does not constitute an addiction. I believe that is the sort of thing you'd likely expect to receive questions about.

If you are not a regular user, I would not be too concerned about it.

27 April 2010 - decided to get married

May 2010 - Immi Lawyer Contacted

9 Jul 2010 - I-129F filed

21 Jul 2010 - Petition Received

26 Jul 2010 - NOA1 Received

Late Jul 2010 - Touch

03 Oct 2010 - Touch

05 Jan 2011 - NOA2 (Approved)

11 Jan 2011 - NVC Case Number Generated

21 Jan 2011 - Packet 3 Received by Lawyer; petition now at Consulate

11 Feb 2011 - Received Scans of Packet 3 Checklist from Immi Lawyer

01 Jun 2011 - Appointment Letter, Booked 9 Sep 2011

31 Aug 2011 - Medical in Toronto, passed

09 Sep 2011 - Interview, Visa Approved.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Chile
Timeline

No, the drug test is ONLY for syphilis, they don't even test for HIV anymore as of a couple months ago. Obviously if you show physical signs of drug abuse or admit something, it will be noted on the form. However, the blood test is only for syphilis. It's too expensive to test everyone for every drug out there and although the exam is expensive, a full drug screen panel on a blood sample is still to expensive.

11/14/2009-Arrived in the U.S. on tourist visa to visit for vacation

2/21/2010-We got engaged! We couldn't stand to be apart an longer!

3/6/2010-Wedding!

5/29/2010-Sent I-485, I-130, and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox

6/2/2010-NOA1 notification by text message

6/9/2010-I485 touched

6/10/2010-recieved NOA hardcopies in the mail

6/14/2010- Biometrics Appointment notice received-appointment set for 7/8/2010 @ 10am

6/18/2010-I130 touched

6/18/2010-I765 touched

6/18/2010-EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!

8/11/2010-Interview Appointment at 7:30am-APPROVED

8/19/10-Green Card Arrives in Mail.

8/27/10-EAD card arrives in mail-our whole process went way to fast for this thing haha

Filed: Country: Chile
Timeline

No, the drug test is ONLY for syphilis, they don't even test for HIV anymore as of a couple months ago. Obviously if you show physical signs of drug abuse or admit something, it will be noted on the form. However, the blood test is only for syphilis. It's too expensive to test everyone for every drug out there and although the exam is expensive, a full drug screen panel on a blood sample is still to expensive.

Pardon me, I should be more clear....I mean that although you are already paying a lot for the medical exam, it still isn't enough to cover the costs of a blood sample drug screening as well. It is too expensive of an examination, they really don't go that far. As long as you don't show signs of drug abuse such as marks on your arms etc., and you don't outright admit to something, you will be fine.

11/14/2009-Arrived in the U.S. on tourist visa to visit for vacation

2/21/2010-We got engaged! We couldn't stand to be apart an longer!

3/6/2010-Wedding!

5/29/2010-Sent I-485, I-130, and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox

6/2/2010-NOA1 notification by text message

6/9/2010-I485 touched

6/10/2010-recieved NOA hardcopies in the mail

6/14/2010- Biometrics Appointment notice received-appointment set for 7/8/2010 @ 10am

6/18/2010-I130 touched

6/18/2010-I765 touched

6/18/2010-EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!

8/11/2010-Interview Appointment at 7:30am-APPROVED

8/19/10-Green Card Arrives in Mail.

8/27/10-EAD card arrives in mail-our whole process went way to fast for this thing haha

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.