Jonathan Matthies

AOS interview rescheduled due to lack of translator

29 posts in this topic

Sounds like a plan.

Perhaps you could even have your translator set up a mock interview over coffee or something? Then the interpretor could sit there silent as a church mouse at the interview and just smile knowing she's getting free money. You could sign an agreement over the coffee and pay her by the answer! Katya handles it all herself, double score!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Speaking of translators... Can it be anyone, really? Can I, say, bring a bi-ligual friend over to our AOS interview? (I know we haven't even filed yet, but it's down the road either way)

Edited by Мартышк+Мартышка

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Timeline

Speaking of translators... Can it be anyone, really? Can I, say, bring a bi-ligual friend over to our AOS interview? (I know we haven't even filed yet, but it's down the road either way)

Yes, it can be anyone. The interpretors are subject to approval by the local office. They will usually approve the interpretor. Believe it or not, they MAY have their own interpretor sit in and monitor what your interpretor is saying. Alla has had one such "assignment" to sit and listen and report if anything was not answered correctly. She says one of the other interpretors, a retired SPEC-OPS soldier, who she says speaks Russian "almost as good as me" (Alla) gets these assignments most of the time.

They may also videotape the interview and have an interpretor view it later. There is a possiblility your green card approval could be delayed by this, not necessarily though.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Yes, it can be anyone. The interpretors are subject to approval by the local office. They will usually approve the interpretor. Believe it or not, they MAY have their own interpretor sit in and monitor what your interpretor is saying. Alla has had one such "assignment" to sit and listen and report if anything was not answered correctly. She says one of the other interpretors, a retired SPEC-OPS soldier, who she says speaks Russian "almost as good as me" (Alla) gets these assignments most of the time.

They may also videotape the interview and have an interpretor view it later. There is a possiblility your green card approval could be delayed by this, not necessarily though.

When the time comes, I'll call Philly office and see if they have an interpreter.

Thanks for the heads up

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Timeline

When the time comes, I'll call Philly office and see if they have an interpreter.

Thanks for the heads up

Let them know in advance if you need one. I think the local office here requires 48 hours notice minimum.

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I was told by our interviewer that I had to provide the interpreter, and it could not be a family member, by blood or marriage. He repeated this 2 or 3 times in the final minute of the 'interview'; I assume to get it into my head that we could not use her mom as a translator. I understand that aspect well enough.

He made no mention of USCIS being able to provide one; though I think omitting that information was simply par for the interview. He clearly didn't want to do me any "favors" (for lack of a better term). For my specific case, I'm almost definitely going to put forth the effort to find my own interpreter and not "rely" on the USCIS to provide one. It wouldn't surprise me if our interviewer took it as a bad sign that I could not find my own interpreter.

06/05/08 - First meeting on dating Website

05/04/09 - First Face to Face meeting in Vladivostok

07/06/09 - I-129F delivered to CSC via UPS

07/09/09 - NOA1 Received

07/12/09 - Touched

10/02/09 - NOA2 Notification

10/05/09 - NOA2 Hard Copy

10/15/09 - NVC Receipt

10/26/09 - MOW Receipt

12/07/09 - Interview Successful!!

12/12/09 - Entry to USA

Timeline

I was told by our interviewer that I had to provide the interpreter, and it could not be a family member, by blood or marriage. He repeated this 2 or 3 times in the final minute of the 'interview'; I assume to get it into my head that we could not use her mom as a translator. I understand that aspect well enough.

He made no mention of USCIS being able to provide one; though I think omitting that information was simply par for the interview. He clearly didn't want to do me any "favors" (for lack of a better term). For my specific case, I'm almost definitely going to put forth the effort to find my own interpreter and not "rely" on the USCIS to provide one. It wouldn't surprise me if our interviewer took it as a bad sign that I could not find my own interpreter.

USCIS never goes out of their way to explain anything, as far as I know the only indication they do this I have seen is the poster in the lobby at the St Albans office.

He told you "You need to provide a translator" That means YOU need to arrange it (provide) for it. It does not mean they can't make a phone call for you if you ask. They are not going to say "Can we get you an interpretor, Sir"? They are not a for-profit company with competition. They have no concept of "customer service" I am not aware of any prohibition of related persons, that is a possibility. Alla has also provided interpretation services on a private basis at USCIS meetings (sometimes she is called upon by another organization that does this for people) but of course she is not related to them and I know in the case she monitored it was a "friend" of the applicant (so she was told).

Gary And Alla

Timeline

They have no concept of "customer service"

This is the single most important thing that I need to remember. I can read all of the examples of "fun", "easy", or "quick" interviews, but I must remind myself that I am dealing with the US Government; this is not an interview for a job working the cotton candy machine at a carnival.

07/09/09 - NOA1 Received

07/12/09 - Touched

10/15/09 - NVC Receipt

10/26/09 - MOW Receipt

12/12/09 - Entry to USA

this is not an interview for a job working the cotton candy machine at a carnival.

I didn't think you had to interview for a job like that. Suit and tie? Red nose and big shoes?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

I didn't think you had to interview for a job like that. Suit and tie? Red nose and big shoes?

I'm fairly certain that, at a minimum, your seltzer skills are tested in all carnie-related interviews. knocing an apple off a donkey's head at 50 paces, making a Gin and Tonic at 50 paces, etc.

07/09/09 - NOA1 Received

07/12/09 - Touched

10/15/09 - NVC Receipt

10/26/09 - MOW Receipt

12/12/09 - Entry to USA

So that's why I always see the carnie jobs in the "skilled trades" section. I thought it was more of a "general labor" type job but I guess when skills like that are needed, it's a must to find someone with training and experience.

Well, no carnival for me this summer.

Русский форум член.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

3 weeks and a day after the interview, we received the new interview date: 5 weeks out on July 27th. The interviewer said it would take 3 weeks to get our NOA letter, and he was pretty much spot on. I am glad it is only a month wait and not 2 or 3.

07/09/09 - NOA1 Received

07/12/09 - Touched

10/15/09 - NVC Receipt

10/26/09 - MOW Receipt

12/12/09 - Entry to USA

Do you have a translator lined up?

Русский форум член.

Timeline

Do you have a translator lined up?

Not yet. I'm pursuing it this week after other avenues fell through. No less than 4 or 5 of her friends are professional translators, over here on a K-1 Visa; but they won't be able to help for a variety of reasons. I'll be going with an unaffiliated person.

07/09/09 - NOA1 Received

07/12/09 - Touched

10/15/09 - NVC Receipt

10/26/09 - MOW Receipt

12/12/09 - Entry to USA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.