girly25

I'm in Aus, can I get my husband his greencard from here?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

hey guys I have a question.. I am not eligable for direct consular filing as I have only been in Aus for over 6 months as a tourist not a resident.

I am wondering if there is a way I can begin my husband's green card process from over here in Australia. Is there a way I can file from here in Aus, to get the ball rolling now rather then later.. and hopefully he can eventually get the greencard and we can go back to the USA together with legal status.

Also while it is in the process, can he visit the US with me on the Visa Waiver Program?

What is our best/fastest method of getting him over there legally? We don't want to be seperated during the process...

Thank you!!

Edited by girly25

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Assuming there is no way to get legal status for you in Australia, then filing for the CR-1 via the normal channels in the USA is your only option really. You will need a mailing address in the USA for paperwork- a reliable family member or friend to forward stuff. You will also need a USA based co-sponsor unless you have sufficient assets to financially sponsor your husband.

He can visit during the process, but should bring ties to Australia (letter from employer stating when he is expected back, lease of home, bank account etc)

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Same situation and same questions asked and answered from another post. Good read: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/257241-married-my-aussie-man-in-australia-how-to-dcf-him-for-the-us/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.