beantown79

Co Sponsor

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hoping someone can helpe me here. I have my interview June 23 in Montreal. We are going the safe route and going to get a co sponsor as his income last year was not above the poverty line but this year it was. We are going to use his mothers Asssets she has an inheritance from when his father passed away so the money is sitting in the account he was short about $4000 last year so we only need $20,000 as difference has be covered for 5 years. I am wondering for the interview do i just get his mother to complete the I-134 form and attach a copy of the bank statement that shows the amoutn in the account.?

Aug 23 2010 - mailed via USPS overnight courier to USCIS

Aug 24 2010 - received a USCIS at 11.40am signed for by Chyba

Sept 1 2010 - received email and text confirmation for AOS,EAD,AP

Sept 7 2010 - received hard copy of NOA1 for AOS,EAD,AP

Sept 10 2010 - received biometrics apt letter for Oct 1, attempting walkin Sept 17

Sept 17 2010 - successful walk-in biometrics apt

Sept 20 - EAD and AOS touched

Sept 27 - received email and text at 7:30pm that my AOS was transfered to CSC (yeah no interview)

Sept 29 - case touched, arrived at CSC received email and text from USCIS

Oct 4 - AOS touched

Oct 6 - AOS touched

Oct 7 - AOS touched again!!!!

Oct 14 - AOS touched again!!!

Oct 15 - AOS touched again

Oct 19 - AP approved (no email or text notification of approval)

Oct 21 - EAD approved received text and email of card production ordered.

Oct 25 - Received Hardcopy of AP in the mail

Oct 29 - Received another text that EAD card was mailed (post decision activity)

Nov 1 - Received EAD card in the mail

Nov 9 - RFE for vaccination record transcribed over to I693 form

Nov 13 - Found Dr. who would complete just the vaccination part of the form yeaaaah!!!

Nov 17 - USCIS received my RFE response papers in California

Dec 3 - Received email and text confirmation that my case was updated from RFE to RFE review response

Dec 9 - Green Card approved, never received any email or text and my USCIS case still shows in RFE Response review

Dec 14 - Received my approval notice and welcome to America letter advising it was approved Dec 9th

Dec 17 - Green card received, finally done with USCIS for 2 years

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hoping someone can helpe me here. I have my interview June 23 in Montreal. We are going the safe route and going to get a co sponsor as his income last year was not above the poverty line but this year it was. We are going to use his mothers Asssets she has an inheritance from when his father passed away so the money is sitting in the account he was short about $4000 last year so we only need $20,000 as difference has be covered for 5 years. I am wondering for the interview do i just get his mother to complete the I-134 form and attach a copy of the bank statement that shows the amoutn in the account.?

Not an Adjustment of Status question

moving to consulate forum

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'm a little confused by your post. It sounds like you're intending to use his mother's assets to make up for a shortage in HIS income. Is this what you're thinking? Also, what does "covered for 5 years" mean?

First, sponsors do not combine income and/or assets. The primary sponsor (the petitioner) is either qualified on their own or they are not. If they are not, then you need a co-sponsor who qualifies on their own. Two sponsors who each make $10,000 per year (for example) does not add up to a joint sponsor who makes $20,000 - it adds up to two sponsors who don't qualify, either of them.

It sounds like your fiance cannot qualify on his own income. If his mother is to be your co-sponsor then she must qualify on her own income and/or assets. Her household size includes herself, you (the intending immigrant being sponsored), and anybody else she supports. Assuming it's just you and her, then she'd need $18,212 in income. If her income is short, she can use assets to make up the difference. Since you are not her spouse or minor child, the assets will need to be 5X the amount of the shortage. For example, if her annual income were $10,000 then she'd need $41,060 in assets (($18,212 - $10,000) X 5).

A copy of her bank statement or letter from the bank should be sufficient.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Jim gave you a good answer and explanation but it actually sounds like current income is sufficient. He will be stating and documenting his current income. If it is from "employment" rather than "self-employment" even though it's a good practice to provide them, his prior tax returns are given little consideration.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm a little confused by your post. It sounds like you're intending to use his mother's assets to make up for a shortage in HIS income. Is this what you're thinking? Also, what does "covered for 5 years" mean?

First, sponsors do not combine income and/or assets. The primary sponsor (the petitioner) is either qualified on their own or they are not. If they are not, then you need a co-sponsor who qualifies on their own. Two sponsors who each make $10,000 per year (for example) does not add up to a joint sponsor who makes $20,000 - it adds up to two sponsors who don't qualify, either of them.

It sounds like your fiance cannot qualify on his own income. If his mother is to be your co-sponsor then she must qualify on her own income and/or assets. Her household size includes herself, you (the intending immigrant being sponsored), and anybody else she supports. Assuming it's just you and her, then she'd need $18,212 in income. If her income is short, she can use assets to make up the difference. Since you are not her spouse or minor child, the assets will need to be 5X the amount of the shortage. For example, if her annual income were $10,000 then she'd need $41,060 in assets (($18,212 - $10,000) X 5).

A copy of her bank statement or letter from the bank should be sufficient.

Thank you so much for your help i really appreciate it. So his mother doesn't earn over the $18,200 as she works part time, but the inheritance is well over what we need for the difference plus the 5x. and plus she owns the home which is over 400,000. So on the I-134 form that i take to my interview i have had her complete it with the inheritance amount and the amount of the house on it and we put her income in for the year. Do we need to provide a tax return considering we are using assets?

Aug 23 2010 - mailed via USPS overnight courier to USCIS

Aug 24 2010 - received a USCIS at 11.40am signed for by Chyba

Sept 1 2010 - received email and text confirmation for AOS,EAD,AP

Sept 7 2010 - received hard copy of NOA1 for AOS,EAD,AP

Sept 10 2010 - received biometrics apt letter for Oct 1, attempting walkin Sept 17

Sept 17 2010 - successful walk-in biometrics apt

Sept 20 - EAD and AOS touched

Sept 27 - received email and text at 7:30pm that my AOS was transfered to CSC (yeah no interview)

Sept 29 - case touched, arrived at CSC received email and text from USCIS

Oct 4 - AOS touched

Oct 6 - AOS touched

Oct 7 - AOS touched again!!!!

Oct 14 - AOS touched again!!!

Oct 15 - AOS touched again

Oct 19 - AP approved (no email or text notification of approval)

Oct 21 - EAD approved received text and email of card production ordered.

Oct 25 - Received Hardcopy of AP in the mail

Oct 29 - Received another text that EAD card was mailed (post decision activity)

Nov 1 - Received EAD card in the mail

Nov 9 - RFE for vaccination record transcribed over to I693 form

Nov 13 - Found Dr. who would complete just the vaccination part of the form yeaaaah!!!

Nov 17 - USCIS received my RFE response papers in California

Dec 3 - Received email and text confirmation that my case was updated from RFE to RFE review response

Dec 9 - Green Card approved, never received any email or text and my USCIS case still shows in RFE Response review

Dec 14 - Received my approval notice and welcome to America letter advising it was approved Dec 9th

Dec 17 - Green card received, finally done with USCIS for 2 years

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.