mspain

MENA in NOLA area

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi everyone,

My fiance is from Tangier, Morocco and will be in the US probably sometime around August or September. Are there any Moroccans or Muslims out there in the NOLA area? I live across the lake from New Orleans, but commute everyday to NOLA. I would love for him to be able to network here and get to know people!

Our Timeline

Oct ~ 2007 We met

Apr 26, 2008 We got engaged

Jan 14, 2010 Left Spain alone to the US to work & begin immigration

Feb 11, 2010 Mailed our I-129F and received NOA1

May 05, 2010 NOA2

May 10, 2010 NVC Confirms receipt & that packet sent to Madrid today

May 14, 2010 Madrid receives case and I receive a job offer!!!

May 20, 2010 Packet 3 Received

May 24, 2010 Packet 3 Sent

Jun 14, 2010 Packet 4 Received

Jul 08, 2010 Flight to Spain to see my baby!

Jul 29, 2010 Return to US

Aug 09, 2010 Medical Exam

Aug 11, 2010 Interview in Madrid

Aug 12, 2010 My "interview" with Madrid

Aug 16, 2010 Put on AP

Sep 15, 2010 Flight home to me

Sep 17, 2010 Married!

Feb 04, 2010 Green Card Interview- Approved

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

My husband isn't here yet, but I know that there are plenty of Muslims that live in the area. I have some Muslim friends that live in Slidell (I don't know what part of the Northshore you live in) , but they are not Moroccan. There are a few mosques in the area, but I don't know of any on the Northshore. There is one on the corner of David Drive and West Esplanade in Metairie. It is the largest mosque in the area, but they speak a lot of English there. There are one or two in the city and there is one in Gretna on the Westbank.

Waiting.....Waiting....waiting....waiting....and more waiting..........

Timeline

Thanks for the tip. That´s great. Are you from here? I am right by the Causeway in Mandeville, but I teach across the lake. Slidell is not far at all.

We are also still waiting for him to get here. We will be getting our interview date this week or next week from Madrid, but they are backed up till at least August with interviews, so it will be awhile till he arrives. I do want to help him navigate here and it would be great if there was a community he could plug into while he is waiting for his EAD and transitioning in to life here while I am working. He is so anxious to begin working- unfortunately this has been the same story for the last several years because of the high unemployment rate.

I would like to find some English classes for him or some program for him to get his GED. Do you know of any ESL programs that are local?

Our Timeline

Oct ~ 2007 We met

May 05, 2010 NOA2

Aug 16, 2010 Put on AP

Sep 17, 2010 Married!

event.png

Timeline

UNO has an excellent ESL program, but it's expensive and 4 1/2 days a week. Jefferson parish also has several that are free, but most of them are only a couple hours a day and not every day. Are you teaching in Jefferson or NOLA? I can send phone numbers for Jefferson tomorrow.

I live in Metairie and am studying elem Ed at UNO.

I don't think that he'll have any problems making friends here.

Edited by illnevergetthis

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

My husband isn't here yet, but I know that there are plenty of Muslims that live in the area. I have some Muslim friends that live in Slidell (I don't know what part of the Northshore you live in) , but they are not Moroccan. There are a few mosques in the area, but I don't know of any on the Northshore. There is one on the corner of David Drive and West Esplanade in Metairie. It is the largest mosque in the area, but they speak a lot of English there. There are one or two in the city and there is one in Gretna on the Westbank.

I thought masjid abu bakr was on the corner of power and west esplanade.....well i guess if you're on I-10 you get off on power. Long time since I've been there.

I'll actually be in NOLA in August to visit family for the first time in 4 years and I'm so excited. Most of the muslims I have encountered in the Metairie/kenner area are Indian or Pakistani while most of the muslims on the westbank are Palestinian. There's a VERY small group of Algerians in Metairie, but I don't know of any moroccans.

event.png

Timeline

Yes, you are right...technically it is Power. Power and David are actually the same street depending on which side of Veterans you are on. There are plenty of Arab Muslims living in Metairie. I'm actually at a friends house right now. I asked her husband about Morrocans and he said there aren't a lot of Morrocans in the area.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Wafin.com is a good networking resource for Moroccans in the U.S. as well as a resource for cultural events, etc., of interest to Moroccan expats. On the upper left of the page, put "New Orleans" in the "find a Moroccan" search box and you get 19 hits with links to e-mail each one. There is also one Moroccan-owned business listed for NOLA.

These are only the Moroccans who have taken the time to register on the site. My husband started meeting Moroccans when he happened to wear a national soccer team shirt to a cafe downtown. Once he was on the radar, he met a lot more. Good luck.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Timeline

Wafin.com is a good networking resource for Moroccans in the U.S. as well as a resource for cultural events, etc., of interest to Moroccan expats. On the upper left of the page, put "New Orleans" in the "find a Moroccan" search box and you get 19 hits with links to e-mail each one. There is also one Moroccan-owned business listed for NOLA.

These are only the Moroccans who have taken the time to register on the site. My husband started meeting Moroccans when he happened to wear a national soccer team shirt to a cafe downtown. Once he was on the radar, he met a lot more. Good luck.

What a great website. You have someone close... right there in Covington.

Timeline

What a great website. You have someone close... right there in Covington.

There´s someone from Covington, KY on there but not Covington, LA. Where are you from?

Our Timeline

Oct ~ 2007 We met

May 05, 2010 NOA2

Aug 16, 2010 Put on AP

Sep 17, 2010 Married!

event.png

Timeline

There´s someone from Covington, KY on there but not Covington, LA. Where are you from?

sorry! I obviously didn't pay enough attention. I was talking on the phone while I was looking at the site and didn't catch the KY.

Timeline

sorry! I obviously didn't pay enough attention. I was talking on the phone while I was looking at the site and didn't catch the KY.

No prob!

I did get pretty excited there for a minute....thinking that they actually might have Muslims in Covington. Heaven forbid, the locals would not be able to handle this!

Our Timeline

Oct ~ 2007 We met

May 05, 2010 NOA2

Aug 16, 2010 Put on AP

Sep 17, 2010 Married!

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi Meghan & INGT - I'm Noura from BR, LA and my husband is from Casablanca. He's been here 3 1/2 yrs. I'd love to have a little meetup for the locals sometime. Maybe we could meet in NOLA or I'd even be happy to host a little dinner or something at our home in BR. Message me privately if you're interested. There are a few others in BR that I know of, but we don't see them regularly. When all your hubbies get here, we can have a little celebration or some thing. :)

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Timeline

Hi Meghan & INGT - I'm Noura from BR, LA and my husband is from Casablanca. He's been here 3 1/2 yrs. I'd love to have a little meetup for the locals sometime. Maybe we could meet in NOLA or I'd even be happy to host a little dinner or something at our home in BR. Message me privately if you're interested. There are a few others in BR that I know of, but we don't see them regularly. When all your hubbies get here, we can have a little celebration or some thing. :)

That sounds really nice Noura. My fiance is still not in the US yet, but I´ll give you a holla about that when he gets here! :yes:

Our Timeline

Oct ~ 2007 We met

May 05, 2010 NOA2

Aug 16, 2010 Put on AP

Sep 17, 2010 Married!

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.