TheBears

Sawasdee 4 (Thai K-1s in 2010)

1,202 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

i went through the north side of Wisconsin when I was about 10 years old on a camping trip. The people were really nice up there.

I don't have much experience with the North. I know it's way colder up there than where we live. Plus, more snow and sometimes a lot more rain too (this year at least). We live directly between Madison & Milwaukee. So we get the best of both Chicago suburbs. laughing.gif

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Timeline

I don't have much experience with the North. I know it's way colder up there than where we live. Plus, more snow and sometimes a lot more rain too (this year at least). We live directly between Madison & Milwaukee. So we get the best of both Chicago suburbs. laughing.gif

Tom is hating on you guys.

:)

Edited by Karee

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Spent a few days in Milwaukee. I'm from Detroit. Seemed like a suburb of Chicago.

HA! You live in Detroit and you are hitting on Wisconsin? I've never lived there, but...

I've read that you have entirely abandoned communities up there!

Timeline

My wife is making me watch Home Alone for the 50th time. I'm ready to commit suicide.

I don't have much experience with the North. I know it's way colder up there than where we live. Plus, more snow

I suppose people that live in Fairbanks say the same about Barrow... but really, once you hit -20, who cares about -30?

I remember winters around Madison lasting until May. (Meaning we still had temperatures below 0 C in May.)

Timeline

I suppose people that live in Fairbanks say the same about Barrow... but really, once you hit -20, who cares about -30?

I remember winters around Madison lasting until May. (Meaning we still had temperatures below 0 C in May.)

I spent 1.5 years in Montreal. That place was cold. I grew up in Detroit, but Montreal was another world. -40C etc.

Timeline

Hey, well, look at the price of Sang Som..... it's at least quadruple what I remember. :P

:rofl:

Timeline

Yep that sounds about right. We've seen snow during a couple of the last few Mays.

Timeline

Who lives in WI anyway?

Rednecks (everywhere except Madison & Milwaukee), bleeding-heart liberals (Madison), and us.

Edited by rsn

Timeline

I lived there (not far from Madison) for about two years on a job I had. I wasn't a fan. To say the least, after living in 9 states, I'd probably put it last, or second to last.

The only thing I miss is the grocery stores. They had a fantastic selection of food--especially cheese, of course--but just about everything else, too.

I lived in Madison proper at one time. Madison is one of those cities that lifelong residents brag about, for some reason. These types of residents seem to believe that Madison is some great, amazing, unique city. It's not. In fact, it's pretty lame.

We live where we live because it's peaceful and picturesque but also not too far from "everything". The low cost of living is nice too.

I lived in Madison proper at one time. Madison is one of those cities that lifelong residents brag about, for some reason. These types of residents seem to believe that Madison is some great, amazing, unique city. It's not. In fact, it's pretty lame.

Agree about Madison. Pretty lame.

Yeah, but the taxes... OMG the taxes... it's the only place I've lived that had high sales, property AND income taxes. Those really add up to a lot.

Also, housing was kind of expensive around Madison.

We live where we live because it's peaceful and picturesque but also not too far from "everything". The low cost of living is nice too.

I lived in Dartmouth, MA for about 6 years. It was GORGEOUS. But I'd never go back. Too small and too insular. Everyone on my street lived in the house they grew up in--or across from the house they grew up in--except for me and a pharmacist on the end.

Anyway, I'm definitely a city boy.

Edited by toma1

Timeline

Agree about Madison. Pretty lame.

Yeah, but the taxes... OMG the taxes... it's the only place I've lived that had high sales, property AND income taxes. Those really add up to a lot.

Also, housing was kind of expensive

sales tax is only 5.5%, property taxes are no higher than Chicago, but state income is a bit higher than Chicago. Cost of housing is WAY lower than Chicago.

sales tax is only 5.5%, property taxes are no higher than Chicago, but state income is a bit higher than Chicago. Cost of housing is WAY lower than Chicago.

Ok, but you are comparing to Illinois. The midwest (and CA) is all crazy high taxes.

Florida income tax: 0%, property tax millage rate: 15, sales tax 6% (food is not taxed, though)

WI income tax was almost 7%, property tax millage rate was 26(!), and as you say, 5.5% sales tax.

Timeline

Ok, but you are comparing to Illinois. The midwest (and CA) is all crazy high taxes.

Florida income tax: 0%, property tax millage rate: 15, sales tax 6% (food is not taxed, though)

WI income tax was almost 7%, property tax millage rate was 26(!), and as you say, 5.5% sales tax.

True. However, Florida is not for me. I spent some time in Miami over several business trips at some of the local TV stations at a past job and I want too impressed with the price of goods over there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.