Peter Miami

Colombia Club

4,917 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
Mike,

I for one very much appreciate your well-grounded approach to all of this. It's very easy to get swept up in the excitement (and fear) of dealing with not one but TWO governments and all of their convoluted requirements. That makes it doubly important for everyone to keep focused and take care with every single piece of paper or information. Everything IS important, even the stuff that never gets used.

It's difficult to admit, but I suspect we fell prey to the excitement when we overlooked the requirement to have a duplicate copy of the 156. And it is probably not always safe to count on your Guardian Angels to rescue you, as ours did. :yes:

LOL Parkpapa........... Fear and excitement, MMMMmmmMMMM, I am not sure I can seperate the 2. For months I was just impatient, then everything comes at once. Now I am almost afraid to be excited. I have all these questions and what not. Are we going to be approved? How will I arrange the airplane tickets? How much time should I allow after the interview to receive the visa? Where to stay? Will she get anything in the mail since she has never received a letter in her life? And then all the stuff after she comes here.....On and on. LOL.

The records departments we have had to deal with in Colombia have been bad at best. Thanks again for your info. Everytime I read a success story I feel better.

March 14, 2006.....We meet, spend the next 2 weeks togeather

May 2006............ I go to see Paola for 5 days and propose marriage

Jan. 24th, 2007....I-129F sent to CSC

Feb. 2nd, 2007.....CSC receives NOA1

June 6, 2007........I-129F Approved

June 6, 2007........Cleared NVC and sent to Bogota

June 12, 2007......I receive packet 3 from our lawyer

June 14, 2007..... I send Packet 3 to Paola via FEDEX (2 day delivery)

June 25, 2007......Paola receives Packet 3 (9 days late)

July 3, 2007.........Packet 3 Fedex to Embassy in Bogota

July 5, 2007.........Packet 3 arrives at the embassy in Bogota

July 19, 2007.......Called NVC, interveiw scheduled for Aug. 17, 2007

July 31, 2007.......Paola goes to US Embassy in Bogota and gets Pkt 4 in person

Aug. 13, 2007.....Lab exam

Aug. 15, 2007.....Medical exam

Aug. 17, 2007.....INTERVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Failed cuz of a missing doc. :(

Sept. 27, 2007....Second interview date!! APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct. 7, 2007........Paola is here in the US!!

Oct. 23, 2007......MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct. 30, 2007......Mailed AOS docs

Nov. 27, 2007.....Recieved "Notice of Receipt" of AOS docs

Dec. 20, 2007.....Biometrics appointment

Feb. 7, 2008.......Recieve AP and permit to work

Feb. 19, 2008.....Recieve SS card

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Lucho, Lucho, Lucho....

In a few words.....I HIGHLY doubt it. The rule is that there is a 4 p.m. pickup. No preferential treatment. Being a U.S. citizen does nothing for you. You will not be permitted inside. There are two "halves" to the embassy....one entrance for U.S. citizens and one for those applying for visas. You pick up the visa on the visa side, not the U.S. citizen side. You cannot walk back and forth freely from the U.S. citizen side and the visa side....So I am afraid that you'll have to wait with everyone else....and if it's not ready....come back the next business day. That is why you NEVER should plane to leave right away....because many times there is a problem (examples of which have been well documented in this thread). Sorry for the bad news....I have become the "grim reaper" of this thread.

Mike

Any luck trying to get in an hour or two before 4pm to pick up the visa? I mean, I would go in as I am the US citizen and inquire if her visa is ready. I believe they would allow me in since I am the US citizen. To check if its ready, if not to have them get it ready for her by 4pm?

It was worth a shot :thumbs:

K1

1/22/07: I-129F sent to CSC

1/23/07: I-129F packet received and signed for at 9:45A.M.!!

1/29/07: NOA1

4/27/07: NOA2

5/01/07: NOA2 Hardcopy received

5/10/07: Approval arrives at NVC

5/14/07: Leaves NVC

5/17/07: Arrives at Bogota, Colombia

5/18/07: Packet 3 faxed to Embassy

5/22/07: Packet 3 sent via courier

5/30/07: Wendy receives packet 3 (Good thing we used the shortcut)

6/04/07: Packet 4 received

7/03/07: Medical appt. scheduled

7/05/07: Interview!!!! VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!

7/09/07: Visa in hand!!!

7/11/07: Point of Entry at LAX, complete success!!!!!!!!!!

7/24/07: Married!!!

AOS & EAD

07/27/07: Filed for AOS & EAD

08/02/07: Arrives at Chicago

09/10/07: NOA1

09/11/07: Social Security card in hand

10/12/07: Biometrics appointment

10/25/07: EAD Approved

01/23/08: Interview = APPROVED

02/02/08: Green Card received...10 day turn around, not bad!!!

Removing Conditions

11/12/09: Mailed to CSC!

11/13/09: Arrives at CSC!

11/16/09: NOA1

11/18/09: Check Cashed!

12/14/09: Biometrics

01/07/10: Card Production Ordered (APPROVED)

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline
LOL Parkpapa........... Fear and excitement, MMMMmmmMMMM, I am not sure I can seperate the 2. For months I was just impatient, then everything comes at once. Now I am almost afraid to be excited. I have all these questions and what not. Are we going to be approved? How will I arrange the airplane tickets? How much time should I allow after the interview to receive the visa? Where to stay? Will she get anything in the mail since she has never received a letter in her life? And then all the stuff after she comes here.....On and on. LOL.

The records departments we have had to deal with in Colombia have been bad at best. Thanks again for your info. Everytime I read a success story I feel better.

I should have just said "not get caught up in the emotional end of things". Excitement, in a positive way, is good as it helps feed the hope that things will go quickly and well. Fear can be a positive, if it keeps one motivated to prepare thoroughly. But both can be negatives if allowed to run unchecked. Perhaps the proper balance is only achieved by focusing on one goal at a time, going step by step. Yes, it's good to be thinking of things that will be coming further down the line, but not to the point where they distract you from the task at hand right now. You'll never get to those things "out there" unless you take care of the things needed to get there.

There was more than once, over the past eight or nine months, that I got ahead of myself - and the process. All that does, eventually, is cause you to either make crucial errors which actually slow the process, or burn you out trying to keep it all straight. Neither of those things happened to us (unless they NEVER fix the blankety-blank printer), but they could have very easily.

I saw two K-1s approved while I was there and spoke briefly with both of them (American men with Colombian fiancees). What I perceived to be a common theme for both was that they were well prepared and honest in their answers to questions. They both demonstrated strong and committed relationships. Those things should be enough, and apparently they were. Hang in there and I know you'll have success too. All you need to do is prepare for it. :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Ok I am starting get our proof of realtionship ready for the interview. I have read conflicting options. No paper clips, binders ect. Waht have you all done? Surely they don't want you to present it in one big pile. I was think of putting each visit and all the phone records and such in between each visit in a manila envlope. I would be giving them 5 different envolopes with a cover letter on each stating the contents. I want to emilinate any last second panic. Thank you.

March 14, 2006.....We meet, spend the next 2 weeks togeather

May 2006............ I go to see Paola for 5 days and propose marriage

Jan. 24th, 2007....I-129F sent to CSC

Feb. 2nd, 2007.....CSC receives NOA1

June 6, 2007........I-129F Approved

June 6, 2007........Cleared NVC and sent to Bogota

June 12, 2007......I receive packet 3 from our lawyer

June 14, 2007..... I send Packet 3 to Paola via FEDEX (2 day delivery)

June 25, 2007......Paola receives Packet 3 (9 days late)

July 3, 2007.........Packet 3 Fedex to Embassy in Bogota

July 5, 2007.........Packet 3 arrives at the embassy in Bogota

July 19, 2007.......Called NVC, interveiw scheduled for Aug. 17, 2007

July 31, 2007.......Paola goes to US Embassy in Bogota and gets Pkt 4 in person

Aug. 13, 2007.....Lab exam

Aug. 15, 2007.....Medical exam

Aug. 17, 2007.....INTERVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Failed cuz of a missing doc. :(

Sept. 27, 2007....Second interview date!! APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct. 7, 2007........Paola is here in the US!!

Oct. 23, 2007......MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct. 30, 2007......Mailed AOS docs

Nov. 27, 2007.....Recieved "Notice of Receipt" of AOS docs

Dec. 20, 2007.....Biometrics appointment

Feb. 7, 2008.......Recieve AP and permit to work

Feb. 19, 2008.....Recieve SS card

Timeline
Ok I am starting get our proof of realtionship ready for the interview. I have read conflicting options. No paper clips, binders ect. Waht have you all done? Surely they don't want you to present it in one big pile. I was think of putting each visit and all the phone records and such in between each visit in a manila envlope. I would be giving them 5 different envolopes with a cover letter on each stating the contents. I want to emilinate any last second panic. Thank you.

One person I saw being interviewed had a photo album. She was going through the album page by page, showing the photos to the CO through the glass. We had our photos all cliped together and were planning to pass the whole packet through the slot if asked. I don't think there is a hard and fast rule about the proof of relationship stuff. As with us, it could be that you are never even asked for it!

Where you can avoid paper clips and binders is with the other documentation requested in Annexo B (I'm not sure if that is the same listing for K-1 visas or not - keep in mind that my petition was a K-3). We were instructed to remove all clips and binders, and place all the listed items in the folder in the order requested. My I-134 was in there also, but it was stapled together as a single item, and as far as I know, it was kept that way by the CO. We did bring all of the Annexo B paperwork bound together in groups with clips. This helped keep things in order until we received the green folder. Then we removed the clips and were set to go!

If you have more than one recipient listed on your petition (i.e. spouse and the spouses child(ren)), then you will receive a separate green folder for each family member. For the children, most of the items listed in Annexo B do not apply, so you just insert the items that do apply and in the order requested.

Your idea of the manila envelopes sounds fine for the proof of relationship items. Again, I don't know that there is one right way. We had ours grouped by photos, copies of receipts, and copies of e-mails (with translations). But, they were never asked for, so I don't know if the CO would have liked that arrangement or not.

The most important thing is that the arrangement makes sense to you so that, if asked, you can locate anything the CO might ask for. Just remember - if you don't have something he/she asks for, simply say you don't have it and maybe offer something else that might suffice. It sounds like you are pretty well prepared, so I wouldn't go into panic mode over this particular issue.

Timeline

Ok you guys were all right!! Always give yourselves a day or two, just in case of any mishaps.

I officialy have my first 'oops' with interview week. The interview is thursday the fifth of july. We planned on getting the lab work done on the 2nd which is monday. We already have an appt, with Dra on the 3rd at 9:45 a.m. Well what do you know??

The 2nd is a holiday......ay ay ay ay :oops::ranting:

Edited by lucho562

K1

AOS & EAD

Removing Conditions

Timeline

Another update....

Lorena's interview was June 6. As I mentioned here, she had to get one relatively minor thing fixed on one document and returned to the embassy on June 7. Her visa was approved, and as with everyone else, she was asked to return the next day to pick up her visa (Friday, June 8). As seems to be par for the course at the Bogota embassy, there was some "malfunction" with the printer and she was told to come back this week.

After finally getting to Florencia (due to mudslides and road closures) early Monday morning, she finished packing her things, and with the kids, returned to Bogota on the overnight bus, Monday night. She arrived there this morning very exhausted. She still had energy enough to try the embassy again this afternoon. She told me that while she was there, perhaps 6 or 7 other ladies were called to the window for their visas. A man announced over the PA system that there were no more visas as the "system" had another problem, and everyone else should come back tomorrow. She was not one of the women called and she was devastated. Rather than leave immediately, she chose to use the restroom at the embassy courtyard. Once again our Guardian Angels were at work. As she came out of the restroom, she heard her name on the PA system. She went to the window and sure enough they had her visa!!!

Now, I don't have any way of knowing if this made a difference, but on Sunday I wrote an e-mail to one of our US Senators from Missouri. In the e-mail I asked her to please allocate $200.00 to the embassy in Bogota so they could buy a printer that worked. I also mentioned that it seemed more than a little strange that we, as a nation, could spend millions building a wall on the Mexican border, but couldn't afford a $200 printer that would allow LEGAL immigrants into our country to be with their families. As I said, I have no way of knowing if my e-mail helped, but it sure did me some good to get that off my chest with someone who is in a position to listen.

No matter who the Angels are that are watching over Lorena and me, I'm sure grateful for their help. :thumbs: Now I don't have to feel foolish for buying plane tickets for her and the boys ahead of time. They will fly to Miami on Thursday and I'll be there to meet them. :dance:

Timeline

I vaguely recall mention of the I-94, and I know it is an essential part of the AOS process. Can someone point me toward more info on it? When does Lorena receive it? Where? That kind of stuff.

Thanks in advance. You guys and gals are wonderful and your support has been a real blessing for us.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Others have already responded below, but I will comment on one thing. You can organize them how you want, but if you are writing a cover letter expecting the CO to read it, don't bother. The COS are very busy. With our file, they reviewed the photos and copies of plane reservations and copies of e-mails that we sent with our I-129F. The CO "thumbed" very quickly. That said, if you put things in evelopes, just mark the outside of the envelope so YOU know what is in them. Further, perhaps you should decide which of your evidence is most persuasive....so that if you are asked to show evidence (but are NOT asked for anything specific), you have an idea of what you want to show first.

Good luck.

Mike

5/25/06 - We met in Bogota

8/12/06 - Officially engaged in front of her family

9/15/06 - Married in Bogota by notary

10/7/06 - Wedding Blessing and reception in Bogota

I-130:

9/21/06 - Mailed to Texas

9/29/06 - NOA date (received on 10/11)

12/02/06 - NOA 2 received

I-129F:

10/13/06 - Mailed to Chicago

10/18/06 - NOA 1 date (received on 10/22)

11/27/06 - E-mail notification that petition approved!

12/06/06 - Called NVC and got case number; told that petition had been forwarded to embassy in Bogota!

12/11/06 - DHL delivered petition to embassy.

12/13/06 - Adriana faxes "packet 3" information to embassy.

12/15/06 - We send "packet 3" information to embassy via courier.

12/22/06 - Return from honeymoon to find both packet 3 and 4 at my wife´s home in Bogota.

1/19/07 - Embassy interview - APPROVED! (Visa received on 1/22/07)

1/26/07 - Adriana and daughter to arrive in Miami

I-485 and I-797:

2/12/07 - AOS and EAD sent to Chicago lockbox

5/7/07 - Employment Authorization card received

8/28/07 - Re-scheduled (from 6/28) AOS interview in Orlando - AOS approved.

9/13/07 - Wife and step-daughter receive green cards

I-751:

6/1/09 - I-751 mailed

11/18/09 - Removal of Conditions approved

Citizenship:

10/26/10 - Citizenship interview (successful)

10/29/10 - Citizenship ceremony and oath

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

It appears that parkpapa found his answer. However, for those of you who read his post and wonder what the I-94 is.....this is the "Departure Record" that, interestingly enough, will be given to your husband/wife when he/she enters the U.S.

DO NOT LOSE THIS. In fact, if the immigration officer does not staple it in your passport....do it yourself later. I staped my wife's I-94 to the page next to the K-3 visa.

Also, the I-94 is no big thing. In fact, it you did not know if had value, you'd probably throw it away. It's small, has very little info on it, and the info is hand=written by the immigration folks.

Mike

PS - I know this is not the AOS forum, but it appears that I am a bit ahead of everyone else...so if you want informatio on AOS, just PM me. There's not a Columbia Club thread in the AOS forum!

I vaguely recall mention of the I-94, and I know it is an essential part of the AOS process. Can someone point me toward more info on it? When does Lorena receive it? Where? That kind of stuff.

Thanks in advance. You guys and gals are wonderful and your support has been a real blessing for us.

5/25/06 - We met in Bogota

8/12/06 - Officially engaged in front of her family

9/15/06 - Married in Bogota by notary

10/7/06 - Wedding Blessing and reception in Bogota

I-130:

9/21/06 - Mailed to Texas

9/29/06 - NOA date (received on 10/11)

I-129F:

10/13/06 - Mailed to Chicago

10/18/06 - NOA 1 date (received on 10/22)

11/27/06 - E-mail notification that petition approved!

12/06/06 - Called NVC and got case number; told that petition had been forwarded to embassy in Bogota!

12/11/06 - DHL delivered petition to embassy.

12/13/06 - Adriana faxes "packet 3" information to embassy.

12/15/06 - We send "packet 3" information to embassy via courier.

12/22/06 - Return from honeymoon to find both packet 3 and 4 at my wife´s home in Bogota.

1/19/07 - Embassy interview - APPROVED! (Visa received on 1/22/07)

1/26/07 - Adriana and daughter to arrive in Miami

I-485 and I-797:

2/12/07 - AOS and EAD sent to Chicago lockbox

5/7/07 - Employment Authorization card received

8/28/07 - Re-scheduled (from 6/28) AOS interview in Orlando - AOS approved.

9/13/07 - Wife and step-daughter receive green cards

I-751:

6/1/09 - I-751 mailed

11/18/09 - Removal of Conditions approved

Citizenship:

10/26/10 - Citizenship interview (successful)

10/29/10 - Citizenship ceremony and oath

Timeline

Can the certificado migratorio be opened? Ours came in an envelope with a seal.

K1

AOS & EAD

Removing Conditions

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Others have already responded below, but I will comment on one thing. You can organize them how you want, but if you are writing a cover letter expecting the CO to read it, don't bother. The COS are very busy. With our file, they reviewed the photos and copies of plane reservations and copies of e-mails that we sent with our I-129F. The CO "thumbed" very quickly. That said, if you put things in evelopes, just mark the outside of the envelope so YOU know what is in them. Further, perhaps you should decide which of your evidence is most persuasive....so that if you are asked to show evidence (but are NOT asked for anything specific), you have an idea of what you want to show first.

Good luck.

Mike

We can start a Club Colombia thread if you wish... Goodness knows I got thanked by a couple of guys for recommending they start their AOS now instead of in August due to the price hike in the 485.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Timeline
Can the certificado migratorio be opened? Ours came in an envelope with a seal.

Lucho, to my knowledge the only thing that can't be opened is the medical file that the doctor gives to your fiancee. If someone knows differently, chime in.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.