Peter Miami

Colombia Club

4,917 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Hey everybody,

I just wanted to let the usual suspects know that my wife finally arrived in the US on Friday. We had a nice Labor Day weekend and she is adjusting. I showed her around town and did some shopping. Luckily, there are lots of places to get Colombian food here in town so we hit up the supermarket for arequipe, arepas and a bunch of other stuff. She picked up a bunch of Colombian flours so she can make various dishes. She also brought a bunch of my favorite foods from Colombia. She lived in the same neighborhood that my mom's family is from so she likes a lot of the same stuff I grew up eating.

I asked her what made the biggest impression on her. I though she might mention the massive freeways. the giant stores or something along those lines. The funny thing is that she wasn't particularly surprised or impressed by much of anything except the food portions and drink sizes. She observed that it is no wonder most people are overweight in the US since they serve you enough for three people every time you sit down at a restaurant.

One visa related note is that her POE experience was a bit odd. We were expecting that she would go through the typical new K-3 processing, but they just took her fingerprints, stamped her passport and sent her on her way. She was never even sent to another office or area for processing. I hope this doesn't cause problems in the future for POE.

In any case, thanks to everyone here who has helped with advice and support. Good luck to all of those who are still trudging through the visa process.

CG

CG,

Congratulations on having your wife by your side, finally! It's a long process but totally worth it.

My husband said the same thing your wife did about the portions. I took him to Chili's about 2 days after he got here and he couldn't believe it. He can now eat an entire portion and then some since he's so used to it by now.

Good luck with the rest of the process and best wishes to you both. :thumbs:

Diana

Yeah but what about his waistline???????? :innocent:

All I know is mine goes down when I go back to Colombia... and eat in SANTANDER.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks for the info Kelvin,

I like Orbitel because it is low hassle and I don't have to be tied to my PC. I looked into that service you mention, but I think there were some limitations on the cities in Colombia you could call. My wife did not live in one of the major cities.

We are actually sending her family Magic Jacks so they can have US phone numbers. You can't beat $20 a year. We have unlimited plans for our cell phones so it will essentially be free to call them or for them to call us.

Peace,

CG

Very true Mavi. It seems that no matter how much I pig out in Colombia, I never gain weight. In addition to the differences in food, I also walk around a lot more down there so I suppose that helps.

Peace,

CG

Married: June 11, 2007 - San Andres Isla, Colombia

I-130

7/27/2007 - Sent I-130 Package to TSC*

7/30/2007 - Received by TSC

8/28/2007 - NOA-1 date - CSC

3/19/2008 - NOA2 date -CSC

I-130 held by USCIS for future AOS

I-129F

7/27/2007 - Sent I-129F Package to TSC*

8/30/2007 - NOA-1 - Fee waived

3/19/2008 - NOA2

4/3/2008 - Received by NVC

4/10/2008 - Received by embassy

4/11/2008 - Faxed packet 3 forms to embassy

4/30/2008 - Appointment date assigned

6/19/2008 - Appointment at Bogota Embassy - APPROVED!!!

No touches except when I called CSC directly to inquire.

8/28/2008 - POE Houston

Still being lazy and waiting to do AOS.

*I-130 and I-129F sent together to TSC per USCIS instructions.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

All I know is mine goes down when I go back to Colombia... and eat in SANTANDER.

Oh dude, that's what kills me. He's gained a whopping 3 pounds since he got here and he eats everything in sight. He's always been on the thin side so I told him that he would gain about 10 pounds the first year he got here. Nope, only three. :no:

I know how it feels CG, all those errands are exhausting and thank your lucky stars that you're not changing your name to hers because that's even worse. It's still worth it though and after you're done you feel like you've accomplished a lot.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

Oh dude, that's what kills me. He's gained a whopping 3 pounds since he got here and he eats everything in sight. He's always been on the thin side so I told him that he would gain about 10 pounds the first year he got here. Nope, only three. :no:

I know how it feels CG, all those errands are exhausting and thank your lucky stars that you're not changing your name to hers because that's even worse. It's still worth it though and after you're done you feel like you've accomplished a lot.

Diana

Hmmm... just you wait til winter #2... Then again, that is potentially a testament to how much physical activity you are making him go through!!! ;)

Errrmmm... with the cold, of course! All that exercise to ward off those extra pounds.

Timeline

Ha Ha. Yep. I'm sure she has the poor guy shoveling snow all winter ;)

Married: June 11, 2007 - San Andres Isla, Colombia

I-130

7/27/2007 - Sent I-130 Package to TSC*

8/28/2007 - NOA-1 date - CSC

3/19/2008 - NOA2 date -CSC

I-130 held by USCIS for future AOS

I-129F

7/27/2007 - Sent I-129F Package to TSC*

8/30/2007 - NOA-1 - Fee waived

3/19/2008 - NOA2

4/3/2008 - Received by NVC

4/10/2008 - Received by embassy

4/11/2008 - Faxed packet 3 forms to embassy

4/30/2008 - Appointment date assigned

6/19/2008 - Appointment at Bogota Embassy - APPROVED!!!

No touches except when I called CSC directly to inquire.

8/28/2008 - POE Houston

Still being lazy and waiting to do AOS.

*I-130 and I-129F sent together to TSC per USCIS instructions.

Timeline

I stand corrected, he's gain a total of 4 pounds. Yesterday after I got home from work I asked "¿cierto que usted ha aumentado 3 libras desde que llegó?" and he went all crazy and said "3 libras! No mija, 4!". Tomato, Tomatoh.

But here's the kicker, he's been working as a stocker for a major retail store and that right there is more exercise than I do each day. Not like most of us who sit at a desk all day and only move to answer the phone if it's out of reach. :lol:

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

I called the embassy in Bogota and they confirmed they still do DCF. I don't understand why it says no here:

http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/inde...&cty=Bogota

George Donnelly

http://georgedonnelly.com

Timeline
I stand corrected, he's gain a total of 4 pounds. Yesterday after I got home from work I asked "¿cierto que usted ha aumentado 3 libras desde que llegó?" and he went all crazy and said "3 libras! No mija, 4!". Tomato, Tomatoh.

But here's the kicker, he's been working as a stocker for a major retail store and that right there is more exercise than I do each day. Not like most of us who sit at a desk all day and only move to answer the phone if it's out of reach. :lol:

Diana

4 libras!!! OH MY!!!

In other news, Abby, my new kitty, is on a diet. :lol:

Timeline

Guys, any idea on what to do with the Medical Exam if I don't receive our appointment letter, and my case isn't showing on the consulate's web site? (according to the secretary, the doctor needs that appointment letter before performing the exams. Is this true?)

Thanks,

Juan Carlos.

I-130, I-129F

June, 07: Sent I-130, CSC

July, 07: Sent I-129F, CSC

March,08: I-130, I-129F Approved

Sept,08: Interview in Bogota, Approved

AOS

Oct, 08: AOS and EAD docs. mailed to Chicago

Oct, 08: NOA1

Nov, 08: Biometrics

Mar, 09: AOS Interview. Approved

Apr, 09: GC Received.

Timeline

See, that's contradictory to what other members in the Spanish Colombian K1 forum have said. They called the doctors and the receptionists told them it was ok. So it sounds like the US Embassy changed their schpill again. I would call the embassy and double check with them and maybe they can call the doctors themselves and remind them of what the policies should be, because they're changing their tune week by week it seems.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline
Guys, any idea on what to do with the Medical Exam if I don't receive our appointment letter, and my case isn't showing on the consulate's web site? (according to the secretary, the doctor needs that appointment letter before performing the exams. Is this true?)

Thanks,

Juan Carlos.

Call the embassy now, and then call them again (take names down) the day before the appointment.

Timeline
I called the embassy in Bogota and they confirmed they still do DCF. I don't understand why it says no here:

http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/inde...&cty=Bogota

George,

A while back it couldn't be done because they changed their policies worldwide, not just in Bogotá, but then they changed them again. So it looks like DCF is still an option, especially if the embassy confirmed it.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

Diana, Maviwaro, thanks a lot. Unfortunately I already missed this week's window (wed, 2-4pm), but next Wednesday I'll be all over it. Somehow, no matter how hard you plan, they manage to introduce uncertainty to this process until the last minute.

Juan Carlos.

I-130, I-129F

June, 07: Sent I-130, CSC

July, 07: Sent I-129F, CSC

March,08: I-130, I-129F Approved

Sept,08: Interview in Bogota, Approved

AOS

Oct, 08: AOS and EAD docs. mailed to Chicago

Oct, 08: NOA1

Nov, 08: Biometrics

Mar, 09: AOS Interview. Approved

Apr, 09: GC Received.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
Welcome to the club, George!

For those of you waiting for an interview date, I have great news: sent my packet 3 documents on Friday, 8/22 via fax; delivered by Servientrega on 8/25. Called last Wednesday and my interview was already scheduled!! The big day: 9/25. I was a little worried because our case is not included in September's list. I say only a little worried, cause I remember Diana saying the list is worthless. In any case, I called the DOS to verify and yep, we are good for 9/25!!

So, my friends, now I have a couple of questions for you:

- Do you know how long it is taking these days to get the "Certificado Migratorio del DAS"? (we will request it in Bogota).

- Do you have any advice on a good place to stay? I have kept links of places from previous months / years, but has anyone found recently any nice, cozy, cheap, clean, close to the embassy (you know what I mean) place to stay?

Hello, just as a curiosity, why do you need the "Certificado Migratorio del DAS", is this the document in Colombia that states where you have lived in the past 10 years?

Timeline

Hi Folks,

The banco de credito is giving me conflicting information. I wonder if someone from the Colombia Club can help with these questions regarding the DS-156 and they are as follows:

1) Question 1 =Number of the passport = red? number on 1st page of passport (starts with 2 letters and 6 numbers) or the passport number on the bio page (banco de credito says no to this)

2) Question 6 -surname include second name.? (Passport has second name while the G-325, I129F and DS-230 do not). Banco de credito says to include full name on passport even though the other forms do not.

3) Question 37 = do I need to fill out question 37 for Husband/wife & son/daughter if the beneficiary does not have any.

4) Do I need to submit this form in english and from the website? The Banco de Credito says to submit it it hand written and in spanish (no barcode created from website).

Thanks for your help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.