Peter Miami

Colombia Club

4,917 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Diana, Could you take a look at my questions about I-134 on the previous page?

For that matter, anyone who can help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

CG

Edited by ColombianoGringo

Married: June 11, 2007 - San Andres Isla, Colombia

I-130

7/27/2007 - Sent I-130 Package to TSC*

7/30/2007 - Received by TSC

8/28/2007 - NOA-1 date - CSC

3/19/2008 - NOA2 date -CSC

I-130 held by USCIS for future AOS

I-129F

7/27/2007 - Sent I-129F Package to TSC*

8/30/2007 - NOA-1 - Fee waived

3/19/2008 - NOA2

4/3/2008 - Received by NVC

4/10/2008 - Received by embassy

4/11/2008 - Faxed packet 3 forms to embassy

4/30/2008 - Appointment date assigned

6/19/2008 - Appointment at Bogota Embassy - APPROVED!!!

No touches except when I called CSC directly to inquire.

8/28/2008 - POE Houston

Still being lazy and waiting to do AOS.

*I-130 and I-129F sent together to TSC per USCIS instructions.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
Diana, Could you take a look at my questions about I-134 on the previous page?

For that matter, anyone who can help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

CG

Hi CG,

Im not 100% sure with your questions for the affidavit. I have mine all filled out but its at home. Once I get home from work I'll let you know what mine says. Mine was actually filled out by my lawyers so Im hoping that it looks the same. Now...my app is a k-1 so it may be a little different! As for question number 8 on the affidavit....I believe you do put partially dependent if their mother has joint custody or full custody of children. question number 8 is correct as well put n/a on anything that doesn't pertain to your fiancee.

Let me know when your interview is! I'll be in Bogota from the 15th - 26th of May! Will you guys be staying at Bob's Apartments (now under new management)? Let me know!

Diana B

10/17/07...Lawyer sent overnight to USCIS...
07/17/08...VISA RECEIVED!
POE LAX 07/25/2008
Civil wedding...8/1/08

AOS
08/25/08...NOA1
09/23/08...Biometrics
11/10/08...EAD and AP approved!
12/27/08...Appointment letter received
02/20/09...Appointment at local Santa Ana office
02/28/09...GREEN CARD RECEIVED!!!

REMOVE CONDITIONS
12/01/2010...Mailed I-751 for removal of conditions.
12/02/2010...NOA1
01/19/2011...Biometrics
03/10/2011...Card Production ordered!! Approval 10 Year Green Card!
**/**/****....card received

Naturalization Process

05/04/2013 application submitted

05/25/2013 biometrics done

06/25/2013 Noa received

07/29/2013 Naturalization Interview

08/21/2013 Oath Ceremony

Son was born 08/30/2013

.png

Timeline

Thanks Diana. I spoke with the embassy today and they stated that they've received the Packet 3 forms my wife faxed on Friday and that they would be assigning an interview date shortly. I hope we get our in that last part of May.

I am not sure where we will be staying. We have a lot of relatives in Bogota, but we never stay with them. Normally, we stay at a hotel on Calle 100, but that is too far this time. How much are the apartments where you're staying? Are they nice?

Peace,

CG

I-130

I-129F

3/19/2008 - NOA2

8/28/2008 - POE Houston

Timeline

Well they come Highly recommended from a lot of VJers that have stayed at their place.

They are located on Calle 23 in Barrio Modelia. From the apartments that you see on the website it looks pretty nice. Not to mention they are pretty inexpenseive for what they offer. I haven't been there but I'll let you know once I'm there what its like.

Diana B

POE LAX 07/25/2008
Civil wedding...8/1/08

AOS
08/25/08...NOA1
09/23/08...Biometrics

REMOVE CONDITIONS
12/02/2010...NOA1
01/19/2011...Biometrics

Naturalization Process

06/25/2013 Noa received

08/21/2013 Oath Ceremony

Son was born 08/30/2013

.png

Timeline

Well. My wife came back from the local DAS office and it turns out that you can request the "Carta Migratoria" anywhere, but it has to be picked up in Bogota. They had originally told her she could get it at the local office in her city. I am going to see if one of my relatives in Bogota can pick it up for us. Does anyone know she needs to pick it up herself? What a pain!

The local DAS office is getting her the "Certificado Judicial". Is the "Certificado Judicial" from DAS the only "police" document she needs or does she also need to get local police certificates from the cities in which she has lived? I am pretty sure she only needs the DAS certificate, but she is unsure and requested that I ask.

Thanks for all your help.

CG

I-130

I-129F

3/19/2008 - NOA2

8/28/2008 - POE Houston

Timeline

CG,

Ok...so I came home to look at the paperwork!

For question 3 I have none and none under spouse and child.

For question 8 they put down my mom who lives with me as being partially dependent since she is over 65 and doesn't need much from me just a little cash once in a while.

For question 11 though...here is the interesting thing! My lawyers wrote down I intend blah blah blah . It then states under that portion in bold letters I intend to provide full support throughout the duration of the marriage.

Now, me being the Curious George that I am, I call my lawyer and speak to them and ask why I would write it down as so. They state that the reason they put down I intend etc. is because the Consular wants to make sure that I will cover for anything that my hubbie cant come up with. In other words to make sure that he doesn't become a burden to our society and a public charge. Makes sense...I guess...

If you have any other questions let me know!

Diana B

POE LAX 07/25/2008
Civil wedding...8/1/08

AOS
08/25/08...NOA1
09/23/08...Biometrics

REMOVE CONDITIONS
12/02/2010...NOA1
01/19/2011...Biometrics

Naturalization Process

06/25/2013 Noa received

08/21/2013 Oath Ceremony

Son was born 08/30/2013

.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Well. My wife came back from the local DAS office and it turns out that you can request the "Carta Migratoria" anywhere, but it has to be picked up in Bogota. They had originally told her she could get it at the local office in her city. I am going to see if one of my relatives in Bogota can pick it up for us. Does anyone know she needs to pick it up herself? What a pain!

The local DAS office is getting her the "Certificado Judicial". Is the "Certificado Judicial" from DAS the only "police" document she needs or does she also need to get local police certificates from the cities in which she has lived? I am pretty sure she only needs the DAS certificate, but she is unsure and requested that I ask.

CG

Hi everyone,

Sorry it took me so long to post my embassy experience. I arrived in Bogota Tuesday night at 7:30, and Margarita and Daniela were waiting for me (they arrived at 7:30 also). We took a 10 minute taxi ride to our apartment (apartmentinbogota.com). The apartment and Don Alberto were great. 3 berdooms, 2 bath, kitchen, and nice diningroom. 24 hour a day doorman. It was super close to the embassy and the banco de credito is right across the street at a mall that has a couple of restaurants. I highly recomend the apartment. Wednesday morning we went to the lab and Dra Gonzalez. The lab was pretty quick. We got there at 7:00 and Margarita was 5th in line. Daniela and I had to wait outside, but Margarita was out of the lab by 7:35. We went to Dra Gonzalez office and had to wait 45 minutes because she was running late. The 45 minutes was no big deal when we found out that they didn't need more vaccinations. They got their's like 6 weeks ago, but the Dra said it was fine. We then went to the Banco de Credito to pay for the visas. Thursday we went to Salitre Majico. It's a theme park and it was pretty fun. Friday morning we got to the embassy at 6:40. Line 4 was super long, but in line 3 there were only like 20 people ahead of us. Young women walked through the line and asked to see our papers. they then pt green stickers on us. Just after 7 we were called to the front of the line and let into the embassy. We were then sent to get a folder. The folder has a list of the documents and the order that they need to be in. We wiated another 20 minutes until Margarita was called to a diferent window. She turned in the folder and we were sent to another area. 25minutes later Margarita was called to another window where they took her fingerprints. Maybe 45 mintues later Margarita was called to another window. She was asked for our proof of relationship and the interviewer verified that everything from the folder was correct. The interviewer then called me to the wndow and asked me just a few questions. When and how did you meet? How many times have you visited and what did you do on the visits? Did you meet her family? When will you get married? Who are the people in this picture? (it was a pic of me with Margarita's family) Then the interviewer sent me away and asked Margarita the same questions. The interviewer called me back up to the window (Ithis time with Margarita) and told us that our visa has been approved. We went to the Domesa area and paid the delivery fee, and were out of the embassy by 10:30. The whole experience was pretty easy. They actually do a good job of making it go smoothly. I was super nervous, but everything worked out well. The only thing that struck me as odd was that nobody ever asked me for my passport or any other type of ID. I just thought that was strange. I'm so relieved that we have the visas for Margarita and Daniela, but the wait isn't over. Because of my strenuous work schedule, they aren't coming until October. I work 7 days a week from May through September. We think it will be better for all of us if they come when I have more free time. At least I have plenty of time to prepare the house and buy them clothes. They live in Medellin and found Bogota to be very cold. I loved the weather in Bogota. I never wore a sweter or jacket. Next winter in Wiisconsin is going to be rough on them. Maybe it was 45 or 50 in Bogota, but it gets below zero (not counting the windchill) here. Thanks so much to everyone for your help. I can't imagine how things would have gone if I hadn't found Visajourney.

john

Timeline

CG

John,

Congratulations! I know how you are feeling and it is all surreal now. I am glad that I was able to bring Carina home with me immediately, but, I must admit, the cleaning has not stopped!! In retrospect, it would have been nice to have more time to prepare for her arrival. I am very happy for you and wish you the best.

Cameron and Carina

Hi everyone,

Sorry it took me so long to post my embassy experience. I arrived in Bogota Tuesday night at 7:30, and Margarita and Daniela were waiting for me (they arrived at 7:30 also). We took a 10 minute taxi ride to our apartment (apartmentinbogota.com). The apartment and Don Alberto were great. 3 berdooms, 2 bath, kitchen, and nice diningroom. 24 hour a day doorman. It was super close to the embassy and the banco de credito is right across the street at a mall that has a couple of restaurants. I highly recomend the apartment. Wednesday morning we went to the lab and Dra Gonzalez. The lab was pretty quick. We got there at 7:00 and Margarita was 5th in line. Daniela and I had to wait outside, but Margarita was out of the lab by 7:35. We went to Dra Gonzalez office and had to wait 45 minutes because she was running late. The 45 minutes was no big deal when we found out that they didn't need more vaccinations. They got their's like 6 weeks ago, but the Dra said it was fine. We then went to the Banco de Credito to pay for the visas. Thursday we went to Salitre Majico. It's a theme park and it was pretty fun. Friday morning we got to the embassy at 6:40. Line 4 was super long, but in line 3 there were only like 20 people ahead of us. Young women walked through the line and asked to see our papers. they then pt green stickers on us. Just after 7 we were called to the front of the line and let into the embassy. We were then sent to get a folder. The folder has a list of the documents and the order that they need to be in. We wiated another 20 minutes until Margarita was called to a diferent window. She turned in the folder and we were sent to another area. 25minutes later Margarita was called to another window where they took her fingerprints. Maybe 45 mintues later Margarita was called to another window. She was asked for our proof of relationship and the interviewer verified that everything from the folder was correct. The interviewer then called me to the wndow and asked me just a few questions. When and how did you meet? How many times have you visited and what did you do on the visits? Did you meet her family? When will you get married? Who are the people in this picture? (it was a pic of me with Margarita's family) Then the interviewer sent me away and asked Margarita the same questions. The interviewer called me back up to the window (Ithis time with Margarita) and told us that our visa has been approved. We went to the Domesa area and paid the delivery fee, and were out of the embassy by 10:30. The whole experience was pretty easy. They actually do a good job of making it go smoothly. I was super nervous, but everything worked out well. The only thing that struck me as odd was that nobody ever asked me for my passport or any other type of ID. I just thought that was strange. I'm so relieved that we have the visas for Margarita and Daniela, but the wait isn't over. Because of my strenuous work schedule, they aren't coming until October. I work 7 days a week from May through September. We think it will be better for all of us if they come when I have more free time. At least I have plenty of time to prepare the house and buy them clothes. They live in Medellin and found Bogota to be very cold. I loved the weather in Bogota. I never wore a sweter or jacket. Next winter in Wiisconsin is going to be rough on them. Maybe it was 45 or 50 in Bogota, but it gets below zero (not counting the windchill) here. Thanks so much to everyone for your help. I can't imagine how things would have gone if I hadn't found Visajourney.

john

07/18/2006 Committed to each other

10/21/2006 Met Carina's family in Bogota

05/10/2007 Became engaged in Medellin

08/27/2007 Sent I-129F

09/18/2007 NOA1 Received

12/18/2007 NOA2 APPROVE

12/21/2007 NOA2 Hardcopy Received

01/11/2008 NVC Received

02/07/2008 FINALLY NVC forwards to Bogota! Longest month of my life.

02/11/2008 Embassy receives our case.

03/31/2008 Our Interview!!! Did I mention this is also my birthday????

03/31/2008 We had our interview and were APPROVED!

04/03/2008 Visas delivered to us in Bogota.

04/05/2008 We leave for the States. POE Atlanta.

"Give me liberty, or give me death" Patrick Henry

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

We also stayed at apartmentinbogota.com and liked not only the place but the fact that it's at a 5 minute walk from the embassy. Don Alberto is really nice and the neighborhood as well.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

We actually have a relative that lives in that neighborhood and has invited us to stay with her, but I am not big on being a house guest. I'll take a look at those apartments.

On a positive note, I worked out the problem with the "Carta Migratoria". I had forgotten that we have a relative who is very high up in DAS. They are going to have someone intercept it and have it couriered to my wife. She already requested it and paid for it in her city. Unfortunately, we had to resort to a little "palanca" to get it done. I think it is ridiculous that they expect people to go to Bogota to pick it up. Why is it that they can give you a national police report at any DAS office but expect you to bear the expense of traveling to Bogota to pick up the migratory document?

Also, anyone who has recently gone through a K-3 interview, please take a look at my questions about the I-134. Diana B answered some of my questions, but she is on a K-1 and the spouse item would be different.

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice.

CG

I-130

I-129F

3/19/2008 - NOA2

8/28/2008 - POE Houston

Timeline

Well, people who don't live in Bogotá have the choice of picking the Carta Migratoria at the DAS in Bogotá but they also have the choice of receiving it in their local city but that can take up to 5 weeks.

Diana

Edited by Mononoke28

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

I've been in touch with the people in the National Visa Center forum and they have informed us that the fees and the coversheets needed to mail in the paperwork for CR1/IR1 visas, can be paid and downloaded on the DOS web site. This will save the process weeks and move things faster.

Since there are so many people who come to VJ for information without having to log in, I just wanted to say that if you're undecided on which visa to apply for, whether a K3 or CR1, that because of this new process CR1/IR1 visas will most likely take just as long, if not less time, than K3 visas. This is compared to the 1-2 month difference they currently have.

I can only speak for the US Embassy in Bogotá of course since getting an appointment with them is much faster than embassies in other countries.

Diana

Edited by Mononoke28

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

So what should the turnaround at NVC be using the online payment? They processed and forwared our K-3 around in 2 days. Still, if the difference was only an additional week or two, it would be worth the wait.

I-130

I-129F

3/19/2008 - NOA2

8/28/2008 - POE Houston

Timeline
So what should the turnaround at NVC be using the online payment? They processed and forwared our K-3 around in 2 days. Still, if the difference was only an additional week or two, it would be worth the wait.

Yes but K3 visa petitioners still have to wait for the embassy to receive the case, then send packet 3, and then wait for the embassy to give them an interview which can take 1+ months after the NVC sends it to them.

With the new system at the NVC, the whole process should take just as long and when they send the case to Bogotá, they will already have a date for the interview.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.