Captain Oates

US Passport

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Ironically, my wife was using her Venezuelan passport to enter Colombia for years, like 25 years. Her Venezuelan also has her place of birth in it showing Colombia and they never made an issue of it. Last time was the first time she entered Colombia with her US passport, and that guard or whatever he calls himself made an issue out of it. Maybe if we were in the other line, wouldn't have problems.

In all my visits down there, they hardly look at my passport, just flip to some page and stamp it, its my own country that really scrutinizes my passport, the USA and also go through my underwear. In both Venezuela and Colombia I have to set my own luggage in their x-ray machine, then pick it up, the person at the monitor doesn't even look at it, but chats with other guards.

Maybe this last time, we just ran into a harda$$, wife did tell that guy they never questioned her place of birth with her Venezuelan passport. Maybe this guy is an ex drug dealer and is teed off at the USA, who knows. Just seems weird they want their own country passport when you don't even live there. Wife also said that to that guy, haven't lived in Colombia for 30 years, just want to visit my mom.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Last couple of replies are excellent because it confirms my strong suspicion that these countries and the EU try to bully people into doing something when they are not democratic enough to pass a law saying they must.

The US is totally OTT and draconian on everything as usual - but that's their privilege and at least they are democratic and open enough to actually pass a law saying you can't enter the US as a US Citizen and use a foreign passport.

The UK will be too lazy to figure out how to do it - especially with all the British Nationals as well as Citizens which would complicate it.

That's at least a dozen people I have heard of since yesterday who say they visit their original country on their US passport and quite a few can't be bothered renewing their original passport coz they don't want to stay more than 6 months anyway

I acknowledge the various reasons to get my British passport renewed and I will - but at least I know now that it's only convenience, and if I have visit the UK on the US one while the red one is renewing, then I can

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

Could be by the DOS listing your place of birth on the US Passport, they want each Naturalized citizen to have as many passports as Jason Bourne.

the-bourne-identity-secret-compartment.jpg

Timeline

Could be by the DOS listing your place of birth on the US Passport, they want each Naturalized citizen to have as many passports as Jason Bourne.

I love collecting authorisations and it's an acknowledged disease a bit like compulsive. Can't remember it's name but there is a club for it too.

I got a K1 and then AOS application and then advance parole then changed my mind then changed it back and did GC direct. I have GC unconditional and I did my test and got my car licence in Milwaukee and my motorbike licence in Florida and got a Florida car licence. AAA membership (pathetic)and Hawaiian airmiles card.

Now I have a Washington car licence and motorbike licence and conceal weapons licence even though I don't carry

I just love being over authorised ! The idea of two passports to a freak like me is heaven.

I am toying with the idea of a pilot's licence but I wont do it as GC holder coz of all the Atta stuff

Of course I have my UK car and bike licence and passport and FCCA accounting certificate and 25 yards elementary swimming certificate

I have to stop collecting marriage licences as I have enough now. Death certificates look quite cute but you only get one...

I remember Spike Milligan being asked to identify himself and he held up a a mirror and said 'yes, that's me'

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

Hello my friend, this is my comment. You are dual United Kingdom and U.S. citizen, you can use either passport you have handy or available to use. You can use your U.S. passport to go to U.K., I don't know if the laws in the U.K. for the immigration office can fine you, because you are U.K. citizen and you are entering with U.S. passport. They might not even fine you, but is like a little bit not suitable at all, that the immigration officer in the U.K. seal your U.S. passport with an expiration limit (I mean because you are U.K citizen), but that is possible. My cousins is dual Colombian-American Citizen, they travel to my home country with U.S. passport, they seal it and they put on his U.S. passport timelimit of visit; other people in my country are fined because "officially" in my country when you are dual Colombian-U.S. citizen, you need both passport to travel; that is the official law in my country. Anyway, I recommend you to use the webpage of the U.S. department of State www.dos.gov, it appears on the webpage of travel each country in the world, and in your case, United Kingdom and the requirements for dual citizens of the U.S. and whatever other country, in general ways to travel and to enter back and forth. I wish my comment help you out on something, thanks and bye,

Timeline

Hello my friend, this is my comment. You are dual United Kingdom and U.S. citizen, you can use either passport you have handy or available to use. You can use your U.S. passport to go to U.K., I don't know if the laws in the U.K. for the immigration office can fine you, because you are U.K. citizen and you are entering with U.S. passport. They might not even fine you, but is like a little bit not suitable at all, that the immigration officer in the U.K. seal your U.S. passport with an expiration limit (I mean because you are U.K citizen), but that is possible. My cousins is dual Colombian-American Citizen, they travel to my home country with U.S. passport, they seal it and they put on his U.S. passport timelimit of visit; other people in my country are fined because "officially" in my country when you are dual Colombian-U.S. citizen, you need both passport to travel; that is the official law in my country. Anyway, I recommend you to use the webpage of the U.S. department of State www.dos.gov, it appears on the webpage of travel each country in the world, and in your case, United Kingdom and the requirements for dual citizens of the U.S. and whatever other country, in general ways to travel and to enter back and forth. I wish my comment help you out on something, thanks and bye,

Hey So far so good - yes it just seems to be the USA and a few more (north korea ?) where they have a problem with duals using a different passport.

I will check the state dept for duals info and I am sure they will say that you must use the native passport - but so far I reckon it's all blagging and really there is no UK law equivalent to US law even though they try to imply that there is. I have now heard from a lot of South American nationals who use the US passport both ways...

These governments don't have a law against EVERYTHING yet although they are working on it (except when they park/travel as diplomatic VIP's of course)

Thanks for the idea....

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline
These governments don't have a law against EVERYTHING yet although they are working on it (except when they park/travel as diplomatic VIP's of course)

Perhaps not as bad as the Soviets with their iron current locking the people into what they feel is the best form of government. But a baby has no choice where they are born, and just because they were born in a country and leave that country as soon as they can on their own free will, that country feels they own that child.

Just going back a few millenniums, there was no countries, today, over two hundred, and each with different laws. You can spent a lot of time on that Department of State site reading about our relationships with all those different country and laws. And only wonder who or why somebody dreamed all this stuff up. In tracing my roots, it covers the whole entire continents of Europe and western Asia, guess my ancestors liked to move around. My wife's roots are similar, But my grandparents elected to come to North America where her grandparents chose South America, so in consequence, when we did meet, had to deal with laws of different nations.

It not the people that count, its the laws, and only one can wonder precisely whom these laws are serving. Certainly, not the people. War falls in the same category, leaders decide to have a war, the lowly people have to die because of that, doesn't make any sense.

Timeline

Yes at least we are allowed to leave without an exit visa - unlike our good friend and ally saudi arabia for instance.

Those people kept me starving under house arrest for 6 weeks until I could bribe them many thousands to give me the exit visa

I will never go anywhere that requires an exit visa - never again

We do struggle with our western governments and curse them sometimes, but in comparison to places like that (where they push convicts out of planes at 20 thousand feet over the desert), we don't do so badly really.

checking in for my trip to blighty in a couple of hours - with my trusty GC in hand.

let's hope they don't read VJ for when I return in a week's time...

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.