Jenn!

Favorite dish from SO's country

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I know we've had lots of food topics in here over the years, but it's been rather dead in the MENA forum and I thought maybe a fun topic would spice things up a bit.

Plus I was just daydreaming about my MIL's seffa medfouna. She's made it twice already since she's been here and I think it might be my favorite Moroccan dish. For those of you who aren't familiar with it - it's chicken in a sweet sauce with golden raisins buried under vermicelli pasta and sprinkled with cinnamon, powdered sugar and almonds. It looks like this:

seffa-medfouna-1--ready.JPG

So what's your favorite?

Edited by Jenn!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi Jenn!

Yummm, looks delicious! I have never had it!

My VERY favorite dish in the world is Lahm Mrouzia or Lahm Berqooq. This tajine has lamb, prunes, honey and various spices. TO DIE FOR!!!

lambprunetajine.jpg

ImageShack.us

My fiance's mother's famous tajine. Awww!

Coming into a close second is a tajine with egg and kofta. Man, I LOVE Moroccan kofta! The Best!

koftaeggtajine.jpg

ImageShack.us

Deliciosa1

moroccantea.jpg

Timeline

I'm still a sucker for bastilla... I know it's cliche, but I'd walk a mile for one! ^_^ It's a meat pie with chicken that's cooked in oil with onions and spices, then chilled to a paste and mixed with sugar and cinnamon, and baked into a flake pastry crust, then the outside is decorated with either powdered sugar and cinnamon, or sliced roasted almonds..

This one was from our engagement party:

100_2077.jpg

And this one is from a Moroccan restaurant near Washington DC (honestly, it tastes better than the ones I've had here.. they have an amazing chef):

bastilla.jpg

Timeline

Tamiya (NOT falafel, fuul not hummus)

120tk06.jpg

Koshary

330bgk3.jpg

Ok now I want some!

Aiwa ba2a! Foul wa tamiya! Yay for Koshary! :) Go to Abou Tarek for the best Koshary! :)

moroccantea.jpg

I'm still a sucker for bastilla... I know it's cliche, but I'd walk a mile for one! ^_^ It's a meat pie with chicken that's cooked in oil with onions and spices, then chilled to a paste and mixed with sugar and cinnamon, and baked into a flake pastry crust, then the outside is decorated with either powdered sugar and cinnamon, or sliced roasted almonds..

This one was from our engagement party:

100_2077.jpg

And this one is from a Moroccan restaurant near Washington DC (honestly, it tastes better than the ones I've had here.. they have an amazing chef):

bastilla.jpg

I am definitely a fan of the bastilla too...but I prefer the seafood one. Sooooo good. I am salivating just thinking about it.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Tamiya (NOT falafel, fuul not hummus)

120tk06.jpg

Koshary

330bgk3.jpg

Ok now I want some!

Wow, that is the dish that I saw on Anthony Bourdain: No reservations. I didn't know what the name of it was but it made my mouth water.

0nboVVg.jpg0nbom6.png

moAOm6.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I love couscous. Here is a picture of my couscous. I cant cook it like my Mother in law does, but hubby claims its good.

DSC02416.jpg

Here is another one of my favorite Algerian dishes. It's called Burek and I like to eat it with Chorba.

DSC02445.jpg

Meriem (F)

Edited by Meriem_DZ

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

My tastes are pretty pedestrian. My fav is probably Galupsie (plain old pigs-in-a-blanket :lol: ). And Samogon - Ukrainian white lightnin'. Not necessarily at the same time. Sorry, no pictures.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Zameta ;)

Seriously, my favorite is chicken or seafood bastilla. I also love shawarma. I like the way DH makes spaghetti (and almost anything else). I like my MIL's chicken with green peas. I love rafisa (a casserole of melwi torn into pieces with chicken and a sauce with fenugreek). And hariraaaaaaaaa - better start practicing that one again since we have it every single night during Ramadan.

RAFISA:

DSC00525.jpg

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Jenn, I think I had something similar to that seffa, but I don't think it had any chicken in it at all, just the vermicelli with sugar, cinnamon, and almonds - unless I never made it to the chicken. It was delicious, but it came after two huge and unexpected courses, so I had no room left for it, though it was delicious. Do you have a couscsoussier?

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.