26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello Everyone

Well today my fiancee and I received emails from the USCIS stating this

*** DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS E-MAIL ***

The last processing action taken on your case

Receipt Number: XXXXXXXXXXXX

Application Type: I129F , PETITION FOR FIANCE(E)

Current Status: Approval notice sent.

On May 11, 2010, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I129F PETITION FOR FIANCE(E). Please follow any instructions on the notice. If you move before you receive the notice, call customer service at 1-800-375-5283.

If you have questions or concerns about your application or the case status results listed above, or if you have not received a decision from USCIS within the current processing time listed*, please contact USCIS Customer Service at (800) 375-5283.

*Current processing times can be found on the USCIS website at www.uscis.gov under Check My Case Status and Check Processing Times.

*** Please do not respond to this e-mail message.

Sincerely,

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

So I am assuming this is the NOA2?

So what next?

We began the process on January 14th 2010. In fact we were speaking on skype yesterday just complaining how long this takes and today we get this email. At first we were very excited because we thought this letter meant that she was approved for the visa. But I am guessing that is not the case.

Well if anybody can give some helpful advice to make things smoother, I would appreciate it. I have read various posts on here as well as the flowcharts and guides.

Just to add some details, She is a Russian citizen living in Moscow, we filed on Jan-14-2010, it went to the Vermont Center.

Thanks

US Citizen as of 4-24-17

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

mmmmmmmmmmmmm not the NOA-2, specifically, but an EMAIL referencing the NOA-2 .

You'll receive the NOA-2 via postal mail, soonish.

At some point, soonish, call NVC, speak with a human, give them the USCIS casefile #, they'll give you the NVC casefile # (which you'll need for the rest of the paperwork).

Once the casefile leaves NVC (which is quick, 1 to 3 weeks, if no additional namechecks) - you can call the DOS Hotline with that NVC casefile #, inquire for any current casefile status (and location).

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Congratulations! NOA2 is on the way...hope you have a smooth journey!

Removal of Conditions Journey

03/30/2012-I-751 sent to Vermont Service Center (USPS Priority Mail w/delivery confirmation)

04/02/2012-Packaged arrived at Vermont Service Center-Signed by D. Renaud

04/05/2012- check cashed

04/07/2012- Recvd NOA in mail dated 04/03/2012

05/14/12-Biometrics Appointment- Completed

12/31/12-Production of card ordered text/email

mjnrabxt.png

Timeline

Well I am confused

I had thought this was the NOA2 also, but I tried all day yesterday to check on the USCIS.gov website to see which step they showed we were on.

Well it didnt work all day.

Then today at work I thought I would try it, and it worked and it showed this

casestatusedit.jpg

Does this mean I am past the NOA2??

It clearly shows that we are past the interview and testing steps and even the decision step.

Could it be that since my fiancee has visited me many times, usually living with me in the summer while on vacation from school on a J visa that we somehow skipped steps?

Also I work for the federal government, but I dont know if that would have been a contributing factor.

Anyways, please thoughts?

I am confused, I am excited, but I am also cautious I dont want to get my hopes up.

Thanks

US Citizen as of 4-24-17

Yes, the email means your petition was approved and you will be recieving the approval notice (commonly called the NOA2) in the mail soon.

Your fiancee will still have to apply for a visa and pass the interview of course.

As far as what to do next ... read the guides and consular specific forums.

Edited by Matt & Bing

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-02

I-129F Receipt Notice : 2008-12-05

RFE: 2009-02-26

Approval Notice: 2009-03-13

NVC Received: 2009-03-23

Left NVC: 2009-05-12

Stuck at NVC 50 days

Interview: 2009-06-23 Passed!

Visa picked up: 2009-06-25

POE Detroit: 2009-07-04

Married: 2009-09-11

Filed for AOS: 2009-09-22

Biometrics taken: 2009-10-29

Advance Parole approved 2009-11-04

Employment Authorization approved 2009-11-04

AOS Appointment 2009-12-15

AOS Approved 2009-12-15

Green Card Received 2010-01-02

Filed for ROC: 2011-09-17

ROC approved 2012-03-21

Green Card Received 2012-03-26

Timeline

Yes, the email means your petition was approved and you will be recieving the approval notice (commonly called the NOA2) in the mail soon.

Your fiancee will still have to apply for a visa and pass the interview of course.

As far as what to do next ... read the guides and consular specific forums.

So then why would the USCIS status show that we are beyond the testing and interview?

That is the part that is confusing me.

US Citizen as of 4-24-17

So then why would the USCIS status show that we are beyond the testing and interview?

I have no idea. The online case status is often not updated or accurate. In any event, there is no way to "skip steps" or obtain a visa without applying for it and being interviewed at the foreign consulate.

Edited by Matt & Bing

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-02

I-129F Receipt Notice : 2008-12-05

RFE: 2009-02-26

Approval Notice: 2009-03-13

NVC Received: 2009-03-23

Left NVC: 2009-05-12

Stuck at NVC 50 days

Interview: 2009-06-23 Passed!

Visa picked up: 2009-06-25

POE Detroit: 2009-07-04

Married: 2009-09-11

Filed for AOS: 2009-09-22

Biometrics taken: 2009-10-29

Advance Parole approved 2009-11-04

Employment Authorization approved 2009-11-04

AOS Appointment 2009-12-15

AOS Approved 2009-12-15

Green Card Received 2010-01-02

Filed for ROC: 2011-09-17

ROC approved 2012-03-21

Green Card Received 2012-03-26

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

The steps are as generic as possible, as any 'status' covers all visa types - not just the K-1.

Sure, it's confusing, but for you, the thing that really matters, is that the petition was approved.

I've written a bit, here in yer topic, on what to do, how to check status, with the telephone, and what to get. You might want to 'do that', instead of letting this USCIS status portal drive ya batty.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Everyone's online case status says that when the petition has been approved. It doesn't mean that your fiancee is going to get the visa without an interview and medical exam.

The I-129F is run through USCIS. The interview and actual visa issuing is a Department of State thing. I'm fairly certain they use the same case status update check page for ANY petition or application filed through USCIS, some of which will include interviews THROUGH USCIS which is when that one would be updated. Since the I-129F does not include a USCIS interview, it's in post decision activity once they have made the decision to approve your initial petition. It now moves on to DoS where she will have the medical exam & interview at the consulate which is when they will decide whether or not to issue the visa.

You are through a major part of the process! I hope the rest goes smoothly. Prepare for the interview & medical exam - check out the forum for the country your fiancee will be interviewing in, they will have lots of helpful tips I'm sure :) Good luck with the rest of your journey!

K-1
09/09/09 - NOA1 :: 10/20/09 - NOA2 :: 01/11/10 - Interview :: 02/24/10 - POE :: 04/10/10 - Wedding

AOS
05/17/10 - NOA :: 06/08/10 - Transferred to CSC :: 07/02/10 - Biometrics :: 07/16/10 - EAD/AP Approved :: 10/26/10 - AOS Approved

ROC
08/16/12 - NOA :: 09/13/12 - Biometrics :: 04/12/13 - Approved :: 04/19/13 - GC received

Naturalization
08/22/13 - NOA :: 09/20/13 - Biometrics :: 01/30/14 - Interview - Approved :: 02/27/14 - Oath

Timeline

Everyone's online case status says that when the petition has been approved. It doesn't mean that your fiancee is going to get the visa without an interview and medical exam.

The I-129F is run through USCIS. The interview and actual visa issuing is a Department of State thing. I'm fairly certain they use the same case status update check page for ANY petition or application filed through USCIS, some of which will include interviews THROUGH USCIS which is when that one would be updated. Since the I-129F does not include a USCIS interview, it's in post decision activity once they have made the decision to approve your initial petition. It now moves on to DoS where she will have the medical exam & interview at the consulate which is when they will decide whether or not to issue the visa.

You are through a major part of the process! I hope the rest goes smoothly. Prepare for the interview & medical exam - check out the forum for the country your fiancee will be interviewing in, they will have lots of helpful tips I'm sure :) Good luck with the rest of your journey!

Thanks for the tip, that clears things up, I think at first both my fiancee and I thought this was the case, but then I emailed our lawyer, who said he thought this was approval for the visa, which really got our hopes up, this is strike 2 for him, unfortunately we have a contract with him and have already paid him half of his fee

US Citizen as of 4-24-17

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It is an approval for the next step, of applying for the visa. Your fiance is cleared to apply for one. So your lawyer may not be totally useless; it's just that things are getting lost in translation.

Think of the process as having two steps: The first is you petitioning for the Okay to have your fiance apply for a visa. The second is your fiance applying for the visa.

What you see on the USCIS site is all about that first step. They don't handle the actual visa part. Forget USCIS now. You got your approval there and that's great. Now focus on NVC and DoS and making sure your case gets settled in at the embassy abroad. You're at step 2, when your fiance will prepare documents for the embassy and carry on on that end. You can be her liaison by accessing info about when her various packets are being sent, when her interview date has been scheduled, etc. You'll also be preparing a package of all documents and additional items to send her for the interview itself.

Hope this helps a little.

owl.jpg

I-129F Sent : 2010-02-01

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-02-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-03-12

NVC Received : 2010-03-18

NVC Left : 2010-03-22

Consulate Received : 2010-04-12

Packet 3 Received : 2010-04-14

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-04-16 (logged 2010-04-27)

Packet 4 Received : 2010-04-29

Interview Date : 2010-06-02

Interview Result : APPROVED!!!!!!

Visa in hand: 2010-06-09

POE: 2010-06-11

We is married now!: 2010-06-24

Timeline

It is an approval for the next step, of applying for the visa. Your fiance is cleared to apply for one. So your lawyer may not be totally useless; it's just that things are getting lost in translation.

Think of the process as having two steps: The first is you petitioning for the Okay to have your fiance apply for a visa. The second is your fiance applying for the visa.

What you see on the USCIS site is all about that first step. They don't handle the actual visa part. Forget USCIS now. You got your approval there and that's great. Now focus on NVC and DoS and making sure your case gets settled in at the embassy abroad. You're at step 2, when your fiance will prepare documents for the embassy and carry on on that end. You can be her liaison by accessing info about when her various packets are being sent, when her interview date has been scheduled, etc. You'll also be preparing a package of all documents and additional items to send her for the interview itself.

Hope this helps a little.

yes it does help clear it up. I appreciate it. I already started looking at what she needs. These guides on here are amazing.

US Citizen as of 4-24-17

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

yes it does help clear it up. I appreciate it. I already started looking at what she needs. These guides on here are amazing.

Good. The guides are great and honestly, all the information you need is here. On second reading of your post, if your attorney did indeed say he "thinks" this is so-and-so approval, he may in fact be useless. And he's already delayed you with the passport photo issue. From here on out, unless your case is not straightforward, there's not much even a good attorney can help you with. If you're into learning about the process, which you are, you're mostly just going to be babysitting him to make sure he's doing things properly, most of the legwork of which you'll be doing yourself anyway. I say cut him loose and go on a honeymoon with the money instead.

Next step for you is to gather tax transcripts and other documentation as support for your I-134. All this is on you. Attorney's only going to stick all this stuff in an envelope. You can also direct him to call NVC and DoS, but why put yourself at the mercy of his schedule and sense of urgency, which is nil.

A lot of people that are concerned about the process want to hire attorneys, but it works the other way often: it's you who are concerned and who cares the most, so you're going to want to be in charge, in the loop, and making sure it's all running smoothly. You can't have that assurance if you're not handling it.

This is my opinion as someone nearing the end of the process and who didn't know ANYTHING about it when I started. We trusted the guides and the expert members of this site, did our homework, and feel we were fully informed and able to complete the process as or more successfully than if we had had a lawyer.

owl.jpg

I-129F Sent : 2010-02-01

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-02-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-03-12

NVC Received : 2010-03-18

NVC Left : 2010-03-22

Consulate Received : 2010-04-12

Packet 3 Received : 2010-04-14

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-04-16 (logged 2010-04-27)

Packet 4 Received : 2010-04-29

Interview Date : 2010-06-02

Interview Result : APPROVED!!!!!!

Visa in hand: 2010-06-09

POE: 2010-06-11

We is married now!: 2010-06-24

Timeline

Good. The guides are great and honestly, all the information you need is here. On second reading of your post, if your attorney did indeed say he "thinks" this is so-and-so approval, he may in fact be useless. And he's already delayed you with the passport photo issue. From here on out, unless your case is not straightforward, there's not much even a good attorney can help you with. If you're into learning about the process, which you are, you're mostly just going to be babysitting him to make sure he's doing things properly, most of the legwork of which you'll be doing yourself anyway. I say cut him loose and go on a honeymoon with the money instead.

Next step for you is to gather tax transcripts and other documentation as support for your I-134. All this is on you. Attorney's only going to stick all this stuff in an envelope. You can also direct him to call NVC and DoS, but why put yourself at the mercy of his schedule and sense of urgency, which is nil.

A lot of people that are concerned about the process want to hire attorneys, but it works the other way often: it's you who are concerned and who cares the most, so you're going to want to be in charge, in the loop, and making sure it's all running smoothly. You can't have that assurance if you're not handling it.

This is my opinion as someone nearing the end of the process and who didn't know ANYTHING about it when I started. We trusted the guides and the expert members of this site, did our homework, and feel we were fully informed and able to complete the process as or more successfully than if we had had a lawyer.

Unfortunately I have already paid him to prepare the I-129F and half to be on retainer if we need him in case they denied my petition as well as to appear at the adjustment interview.

And we entered into an agreement that I would pay him the full amount, so I cant just cut him loose or I am legally liable to pay him in full. so why not just keep him on if he is already paid, you know?

US Citizen as of 4-24-17

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.