wissooner

free to marry

155 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
:no: not a valid statement.

coz at 18 your still a minor cant enter a contract as a minor... dont you watch Judge judy?

Actually... I thought that specifying the age of 18 would prevent this argument, since 18 is actually the age from which you can legally enter into a contract (which actually can vary from state to state, but is for the most part 18). When you reach the age of 18, you're no longer a minor. You can sign a contract and join up with Uncle Sam and go fight in Iraq if you like... but, alas, you can't come home and (legally) have a drink yet.

Edited by TomLena
ticker.png

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

You just told us a lie. If 2 residents live in separate states, one can file in either state.

unfortunately I have done the state divorce and the international divorce thing.

your talking to people on VJ been down the road you and also the road the OP is trying to travel

Hypothetical situation:

Someone is 18 years of age and living in the United States. They sign a document that states the following:

I am legally able to and intend to drink alcohol within 90 days of my reaching the age of 21.

coz at 18 your still a minor cant enter a contract as a minor... dont you watch Judge judy?

I never said that! :no:

my ex lived in CA . I lived in TX.. since I was suing for divorce we did so in TX.

dont twist things up my dear!!! you can NOT use a 3rd state or country for your divorce.

example can use one of those central american divorce things and think your divorce is valid.

yes VJ members have been denied visas for that same thing.

or 3rd party state.

Y'all might as well give it up. Asante knows it all and you can't win an argument with this person. Reminds me of a pesky mosquito....just don't know when to quit.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Timeline

Actually... I thought that specifying the age of 18 would prevent this argument, since 18 is actually the age from which you can legally enter into a contract. When you reach the age of 18, you're no longer a minor. You can sign a contract and join up with Uncle Sam and go fight in Iraq if you like... but, alas, you can't come home and (legally) have a drink yet.

that is a whole new thread!

shon.gif

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

I was a law student for a year in Calif but gave it up after a year, because it was something that I discovered that I didnt really want to do. This is where I met my ex-wife and she is now a practicing attorney in Calif and handles family matters as well. Futhermore I didnt have the time to wade thru 2 inches of reading every night as I already had a full time job and reading constitutional and tort law, Uniform Commercial Code, etc. are not my favorite things.

Sure...if a couple splits and one moves to another state and establishes residence, then the action can be filed in either state. In case that both file in different states, then I think all the states have adopted a uniform code citing which state has jurisdiction.

If you have real property in Texas for example, and your wife files in Calif, then you had better have agreed to everything in case of a dispute. A judge in CA cannot make decisions regarding title of real property in TX for example, as he has no jurisdiction. If there are disagreements on issues such as spousal support, child custody, child support, then there exists uniform codes as well stating which state has original jurisdiction. You can give up your right and agree to the jurisdiction of a foreign state where action was brought, but dont do so without qdvice from an attorney.

But I would never advise someone that the USCIS is a bunch of country bumpkins sitting in the dark of no knowledge of state laws and wouldnt know what they are looking at. This is very dangerous as I know that they have legal staffs and I would think that they are a part of the sign-off or coordination of approved petitions. Screw with them and you will be caught.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
asante,

where are you in the process? have you had your interview yet?

he's wondering about the divorce he received on the internet from Nigeria....wondering if its valid or not.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Please tell me more about the Internet divorce...always a good stand by option.

asante,

where are you in the process? have you had your interview yet?

he's wondering about the divorce he received on the internet from Nigeria....wondering if its valid or not.

Filed: Other Timeline
I am legally able to and intend to marry my alien fiancé(e) within 90 days of his or her arrival in the United States.

Phew. Finally found it.

Compound sentence with a coordinating conjunction.

When the subject(s) is/are acting upon two or more things in parallel, the objects can be combined.

Oh, the questions we presume are so simple to ask and have answered.... :whistle:

Edited by JenT

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Timeline

I am legally able to and intend to marry my alien fiancé(e) within 90 days of his or her arrival in the United States.

Phew. Finally found it.

Compound sentence with a coordinating conjunction.

When the subject(s) is/are acting upon two or more things in parallel, the objects can be combined.

But alas, the subject comes with a condition which cannot be directed exclusively toward either of the 2 independent clauses which makes up the compound sentence. They come as a pair. Only if the first independent clause "I am legally able to" included the 'what' (marry), then could it be argued that the condition belongs only to the later clause.

Edited by TomLena
ticker.png

Timeline

Bah... you almost had me... but that isn't even a compound sentence with a coordinating conjunction! Better check it again. A compound sentence with a coordinating conjunction consists of 2 independent clauses with a coordinating conjunction in the middle. 'and' is a coordinating conjunction in some cases, but it also has other uses. hint: Cats and dogs are animals. In mathetmatical terms ( A + B ) * C != A + ( B * C )

Edited by TomLena
ticker.png

Wow!! I answer a simple question and go to bed. When I wake up I fine a 8 page poo flinging thread! To the OP, go find a good immigration lawyer and ask him. Don't take our advice and possibly buy yourself some un-needed trouble.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

(passing around the popcorn to others who are watching, intrigued by the surprising directions in which this thread twists and turns . . . anyone want a beer?)

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

(passing around the popcorn to others who are watching, intrigued by the surprising directions in which this thread twists and turns . . . anyone want a beer?)

me...me!

*reaches for a cold one and some of charles' popcorn*

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

me...me!

*reaches for a cold one and some of charles' popcorn*

Don't worry - tomorrow we'll continue with the commentary on why it's a fine idea/stupid idea to cross the Mexican/Canadian border with a tourist visa during K1 processing after a religious/non-legally binding wedding ceremony, having bought tickets to fly out of the US for the Caribbean/South American honeymoon before the K1 visa is in hand, even though we are not legally married . . . (try saying that all in one breath)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.