Cowgirl2

WAITING and waiting

176 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I sent in additional documents to prove domicile for the 2nd time for my husband's IR-1 visa over a month ago and nothing yet. DOS keeps stating that its under review and I've received email letters from DOS stating the same thing. I have gotten my Senator involved and they also received the same answer by Visanet that the processing can take up to 90 days, months or even years depending on the case. They just wanted some specific documents to prove domicile which I sent exactly what they had asked for. I'm getting really frustrated and upset and feel so helpless at this point. I already did all that I could do..I got the Senator involved....I emailed Montreal...is there something else that I can do??????? My husband and I have been away from each other for months and months now...Please help...

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

I know what you are going through. My husband and I (the Canadian) got very frustrated at one point as our application went missing after it was processed by the California processing office. For 90 days we were not able to find out where our file went as it never arrived the NVC. We contacted the Senator's office for help but I don't think they can do much except to follow up on your behalf. Thankfully it has worked itself out but we are about 3 months behind our estimated timeline. Basically you just have to be patient because there's not much you can do if you're within the 90-day period. Hang in there.....

Edited by heljan

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2007-09-30 in Las Vegas

Type of visa : IR-1

USCIS

I-130 Sent : 2009-04-23

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-05-01

I-130 NOA2 : 2009-09-29 (File went missing - not received by NVC)

I-130 NOA2 : 2010-02-11

NVC

NVC Received : 2010-02-23

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-02-24

Pay I-864 Bill : 2010-02-24

OPTIN Email to NVC : 2010-02-24

OPTIN Confirmation from NVC : 2010-03-09

Return Completed I-864 : 2010-03-12

Pay IV Bill : 2010-03-12

IV Payment Processed : 2010-03-15

Applicant's Documents for Processing Sent : 2010-03-17

Case Completed at NVC : 2010-04-08

Medical

2010-05-26 (Toronto)

Interview

Interview Assigned : 2010-05-01 (Saturday)

Interview in Montreal : 2010-06-18 - APPROVED!

Passport Received via XpressPost : 2010-06-24

POE : 2010-07-06 (Pearson International Airport)

Applied for SSN : 2010-07-19

SSN Arrived : 2010-07-24

Green Card Arrived : 2010-10-18

Timeline

I know what you are going through. My husband and I (the Canadian) got very frustrated at one point as our application went missing after it was processed by the California processing office. For 90 days we were not able to find out where our file went as it never arrived the NVC. We contacted the Senator's office for help but I don't think they can do much except to follow up on your behalf. Thankfully it has worked itself out but we are about 3 months behind our estimated timeline. Basically you just have to be patient because there's not much you can do if you're within the 90-day period. Hang in there.....

Hi heljan,

Yeah, it is extremely frustrating especially if you have to separate from your spouse for such long periods of time. Atleast you aren't dealing with Montreal as we are. That consulate is the most backlogged and everything is always up in the air. The first time I had sent in the documents, it was more than enough as compared to what others had sent in and had gotten approved and the interesting part is that they send a letter asking for specifically for certain documents within like 2 weeks, but now that I've sent them the stuff, its taking them soo much longer. Its so upsetting because you do everything that you can possibly do and you just want to get on with your life, but you are under their mercy. I hope your case speeds up and best of luck!

Hi heljan,

Yeah, it is extremely frustrating especially if you have to separate from your spouse for such long periods of time. Atleast you aren't dealing with Montreal as we are. That consulate is the most backlogged and everything is always up in the air. The first time I had sent in the documents, it was more than enough as compared to what others had sent in and had gotten approved and the interesting part is that they send a letter asking for specifically for certain documents within like 2 weeks, but now that I've sent them the stuff, its taking them soo much longer.Also, this isn't considered to be administrative processing, because they have already done all that. They just wanted to see these few documents and thats all so the rest of the stuff is already cleared so technically we shouldnt be under the 90 month period. Its so upsetting because you do everything that you can possibly do and you just want to get on with your life, but you are under their mercy. I hope your case speeds up and best of luck!

sorry, i dont know why it posted my reply 2x!

I'm the timeline freak and annoy people by asking them to enter their timelines lol :time:

2007 Nov 30: Met in Las Vegas, Nevada

2009 Jul 13: Proposed/Engaged in Sedona, Arizona

2009 Dec 26: Married in Tucson, Arizona

USCIS

2009 Dec 30: Filed I-130

2010 Jan 02: I-130 delivered

2010 Jan 07: NOA1 - email - CSC

2010 Jan 11: Received NOA1 hardcopy

2010 Mar 24: NOA2 - email & text - NVC

2010 Mar 29: Received NOA2 hardcopy

I-130 was approved in 76 days from NOA1 date

NVC

2010 Mar 30: NVC received - case# assigned - emails given to NVC

2010 Mar 30: Opted in - DS3032 emailed to NVC

2010 Mar 31: Received AOS bill & DS3032 - paid AOS

2010 Apr 05: Online payment portal confirms paid AOS(Apr 2 processing date)

2010 Apr 05: Sent I-864 package

2010 Apr 15: EP confirmation email

2010 Apr 15: IV bill generated & paid

2010 Apr 15: Email confirmation - receipt of DS3032

2010 Apr 16: IV bill confirmed paid - sent DS230 package

2010 Apr 19: NVC operator confirms I864 & DS230 documents have been received

2010 Apr 21: AVR confirms all documents received Apr 19th

2010 Apr 23: Email from NVC: case complete - confirmed by NVC - sign in fail

Completed in 24 days

CONSULATE

2010 May 27: Email from NVC - consulate received file - interview Montreal Jul 27th

2010 Jun 16: Medical @ Woking Medical Centre, Vancouver, Canada - APPROVED

2010 Jul 27: Interview @ US Consulate in Montreal, Canada - APPROVED

Your interview took 201 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

2010 Aug 13:POE Washington - APPROVED

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

2012 May 14 - mailed I-751

2012 May 16 - delivered @ CSC

2012 Jun 18 - I 551 stamp

2012 Jun 28 - biometrics appointment NOA notice date Jun 7

2012 Dec 20 - approved

Timeline

Well, Cowgirl...looks like it's just you and me waiting. They received my documents almost 7 weeks ago and I have no word yet, either. They just told me that they received my documents and nothing else. I am so disappointed in this country's immigration - it really shouldn't take someone over a year and a half to get their spouse to live here. This whole thing is emotionally draining and it makes me want to cry on a daily basis. I feel like it's just never going to happen and while I try to stay positive, it's really hard when you have no idea if/when they will approve. :(

I sent in additional documents to prove domicile for the 2nd time for my husband's IR-1 visa over a month ago and nothing yet. DOS keeps stating that its under review and I've received email letters from DOS stating the same thing. I have gotten my Senator involved and they also received the same answer by Visanet that the processing can take up to 90 days, months or even years depending on the case. They just wanted some specific documents to prove domicile which I sent exactly what they had asked for. I'm getting really frustrated and upset and feel so helpless at this point. I already did all that I could do..I got the Senator involved....I emailed Montreal...is there something else that I can do??????? My husband and I have been away from each other for months and months now...Please help...

Timeline

Well, Cowgirl...looks like it's just you and me waiting. They received my documents almost 7 weeks ago and I have no word yet, either. They just told me that they received my documents and nothing else. I am so disappointed in this country's immigration - it really shouldn't take someone over a year and a half to get their spouse to live here. This whole thing is emotionally draining and it makes me want to cry on a daily basis. I feel like it's just never going to happen and while I try to stay positive, it's really hard when you have no idea if/when they will approve. :(

Lenie, I think we are the ONLY ones waiting...isn't that crazy?! I hope something turns up soon or I will be admitting myself to a mental institution soon. What makes me mad is that some people received their visas within 4 weeks and here we are just waiting and waiting...NOT FAIR!

Timeline

I just received a message from Montreal stating that they are processing mail that was received in mid-march, meaning they are a whole MONTH behind. What is even more frustrating is that I just found out that I need a cyst removal surgery which then will be biopsied for cancer (strong history of cancer in our family) and I just wanted my husband by my side for this...When will Montreal understand the emotional rollercoaster they put us on?...

Timeline

Cowgirl - so sorry to hear about your biopsy (I will think good thoughts for you). Of course you would want your husband there and I agree that Montreal doesn't seem to care how much heartbreak they cause. The guy who interviewed me was one of the most unsympathetic people I've ever met.

Mid-March is what they're saying? Well then why did people who sent things in AFTER that date get approved already? They are definitely NOT opening mail according to when they receive it. Either way, I really hope yours gets done soon so you can have your husband there. Again, I hope everything goes well...

I just received a message from Montreal stating that they are processing mail that was received in mid-march, meaning they are a whole MONTH behind. What is even more frustrating is that I just found out that I need a cyst removal surgery which then will be biopsied for cancer (strong history of cancer in our family) and I just wanted my husband by my side for this...When will Montreal understand the emotional rollercoaster they put us on?...

Timeline

Does Mtl know about ur biopsy???? If not, I would get a letter from your dr and pass that along!! Couldn't hurt

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Hi,

I'd been reading your post and I can understand where you are coming from. Me too have my own waiting ordeal and everything in our life had turned around because we wanted to make sure we did the right thing in this immigration process ...to cut the story short here's what happened.

- I have a USC Husb, a 6 yo USC child ( born in Canada to a USC father) and a 22 yo daughter

- we filed DCF in May 2009 and I finally got interview schedule in January 2010

- been concerned about Domicile Issue because my USC husb is here in Canada,we postponed the Interview and sold our home and he went to USA in March to establish domicile

- husband finds Job in USA and all domicile requirements are now available when needed

- Problem is NO INTERVIEW HAD BEEN SCHEDULED YET

- called DOS most of the time to find out

- Montreal sent email in April that they will set up a new interview schedule once the date is available ( so when is the date going to be available is a BIG Question???)

- Since January to-date I never have any new Interview Date...

- The lady in DOS said that I should not have postponed my Interview...but I realized that if I didn't and I don't have Domicile proof they will deny me , then you and Me will have the same Fate,

in which I will submit the domicile requirements and still another uncertain wait times.

- My husband is separated from us and he missed his daughter a lot..but thanks to YIM Video Call we are able see each to her everyday.

- SEE, Nobody Really has a choice here because of the Delay in Processing due to lack of manpower why don't they hire and train more people?

- Besides we are Paying for it and processing fee is not cheap and we deserve to get the service we deserve.

- With all the Whinings Here and There Can the Senators or Congressmen see this as a Big Issue in the Consular offices esp in Montreal? Ironically, this is only happening in Montreal which is a border away from USA?

I am calling DOS every week to find out if I have a schedule yet and I am tired of waiting too...but on the positive note..I am still preparing myself emotionally for that Big move, doing some research on the New Place if it is worth it...

Everyday I read New Threads here to find out any similarities to my own case...I GUESS IN THE END WE ARE NOT THE ONLY PEOPLE WAITING FOR THE MERCY OF MONTREAL!!!

Edited by tauruslady

Timeline

Lenie, I think we are the ONLY ones waiting...isn't that crazy?! I hope something turns up soon or I will be admitting myself to a mental institution soon. What makes me mad is that some people received their visas within 4 weeks and here we are just waiting and waiting...NOT FAIR!

NOPE, I'm waiting on them aswell.. I've sent documents on March 15th (same day service) and the DOS still says 'waiting for applicants RFE'. Mind you i ts not really even important, I had to send in medical results cause I couldn't bring them with me to the interview.

NOPE, I'm waiting on them aswell.. I've sent documents on March 15th (same day service) and the DOS still says 'waiting for applicants RFE'. Mind you i ts not really even important, I had to send in medical results cause I couldn't bring them with me to the interview.

OH there are a lot of us waiting! :angry:

Trying to be patient but its NOT EASY!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.