Alex+R

pre-medical in Brazil

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi!

I am trying to plan ahead (ok, help my very busy Brazilian fiance plan ahead). He just got a new health insurance package at work, and he has not had a physical in maybe six years. I am wondering if he should go get everything checked out at his doctor before the actual medical. Is there anything the doctor at the medical could find that could prevent Rey from being able to get to his interview? I'm just concerned because it's been so long since a doctor looked at him (although I guess in some ways that's a good thing!)

I really don't mean to be lazy and not look through the other threads, cuz I know y'all Brazilian girls were talking about medicals, but also, who is the cheapest in Sao Paulo of the doctors for the medical? And how far before the interview do you schedule the medical? Just one day? Also, did anyone find that getting the AOS vaccinations was cheaper in Brazil than in the US?

Thanks all :)

PS I know I am getting a little ahead of myself here :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I got all my vaccination for free. :)

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

The medical is pretty simple. They just ask you for a few vaccines (some of us were asked to take fewer, some more), X-ray and a blood exam for HIV and syphillis. As far as I know, the only thing that could prevent someone from getting a visa is being HIV positive. If they find out other diseases that are treatable, he'll be asked to do so. This also has an impact on the "expiration" date of the medical. It's good for a year, but in view of certain diseases, they'll be valid for 6 months.

I didn't look for the cheapest doctor, I just looked for someone whose office was easy to get to. I went to Dr. Edwin Castello and I liked him a lot. Your fiance can call the doctors (there are only 3 to choose from) and ask how much they'll charge. It'll be $100 tops.

Since the medical is valid for a year, he can have the first appointment whenever (but not one day before the interview, because of the exams he'll need, I'd say at least 2 or 3 weeks before the interview). He'll need his passport and a 3x4 cm picture. To have the report done, however, he'll need the case number assigned by NVC (starts with RDJ). The report must be with him for the interview.

As for the vaccines, Dr. Castello told me I was supposed to take them before I went to the U.S. - I even asked him if he was sure, because I thought I could take them when applying for AOS. Laura said we can go to a "posto de saúde" and take them for free, except for one (I forget which).

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hi!

I am trying to plan ahead (ok, help my very busy Brazilian fiance plan ahead). He just got a new health insurance package at work, and he has not had a physical in maybe six years. I am wondering if he should go get everything checked out at his doctor before the actual medical. Is there anything the doctor at the medical could find that could prevent Rey from being able to get to his interview? I'm just concerned because it's been so long since a doctor looked at him (although I guess in some ways that's a good thing!)

I really don't mean to be lazy and not look through the other threads, cuz I know y'all Brazilian girls were talking about medicals, but also, who is the cheapest in Sao Paulo of the doctors for the medical? And how far before the interview do you schedule the medical? Just one day? Also, did anyone find that getting the AOS vaccinations was cheaper in Brazil than in the US?

Thanks all :)

PS I know I am getting a little ahead of myself here :)

Theres no cheapest one in Sao Paulo: all of them (3) charges R$200.

I suggest starting the Medical right away BUT just 'finishing' it (go back to the doctor with the vaccines and test results) the latest he can, this way if you need to take sometime b4 filling for AOS, the expiring date will be longer... (I dont know if I was clear, just ask me if you didn't understand)

Vaccinations in Brasil is, FOR SURE, cheaper than taking it in US. :yes:

As far as I know, the only thing that could prevent someone from getting a visa is being HIV positive.

Wrong. You will need to file a waiver to prove you are not a harm to other people. Read more on the I-693 form from USCIS.

I went to Dr. Edwin Castelo also and took all my vaccines for free from "Posto de Saude". The only one I had to pay was for Pneumococcal (R$65) but I think theres a way to get it free at Posto de Saude.

Carol :thumbs:

Edited by Carol&Marc

coracao.gif

CAROL & MARC

MY HONEY'S PROFILE

Remove Conditions

08-28-08 - Mailed I-751

08-30-08 - Delivered

09-01-08 - Touched

09-03-08 - Check cleared

09-06-08 - NOA1 in the mail (dated 08/29???)

10-09-08 - Biometrics (Touched)

12-16-08 - Email "Card production ordered"

12-24-08 - Santa came and brought my present (Greencard in the mail!)

kitazura.gifkpuppy1.gif

BICHON FRISE LOVER!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thanks you guys! I feel like I really understand a lot more. Rey assures me he is going to do all the stuff he needs to do, but after we get our NOA2 you will probably "meet" him on VJ :)

I will tell him about the posto de saude thing for vaccinations if they are not covered by his insurance.

I'm pretty sure there is zero chance he has HIV! So sounds like he can schedule his medical right away after the consulate gets his case. Great!

Timeline

As far as I know, the only thing that could prevent someone from getting a visa is being HIV positive.

Wrong. You will need to file a waiver to prove you are not a harm to other people. Read more on the I-693 form from USCIS.

Thanks for the info, Carol. From what I understand, these requirements are connected with the AOS, but not with the medical done before the interview in Brazil. Maybe I'm mistaken. I mentioned HIV because it's one of the things that makes someone ineligible for a visa.

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline
I mentioned HIV because it's one of the things that makes someone ineligible for a visa.

Read more here.

"Section 212(a)(1)(A)(i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act renders inadmissible any applicant for a visa or admission who is found, according to the regulations published by the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS), to have a communicable disease of public health significance, which includes HIV infection. However, in view of humanitarian and family unity concerns, the law also provides waivers of inadmissibility, which are discretionary and granted on a case-by-case basis. (...)

Applicants seeking admission to the United States as immigrants (for a permanent stay) must establish the required family relationship. They must be the spouse or unmarried son or daughter, or the minor unmarried lawfully adopted child of a U.S. citizen or permanent resident; or have a son or daughter who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. The applicant also must satisfy three discretionary criteria that were developed by INS to ensure the public health, safety and welfare:

The danger to the public health created by the alien's admission is minimal;

The possibility of the spread of the infection created by the alien's admission is minimal; and

No expense will be incurred by any government agency, without that agency's prior consent."

coracao.gif

CAROL & MARC

MY HONEY'S PROFILE

Remove Conditions

08-28-08 - Mailed I-751

08-30-08 - Delivered

09-01-08 - Touched

09-03-08 - Check cleared

kitazura.gifkpuppy1.gif

BICHON FRISE LOVER!!!

Timeline
The danger to the public health created by the alien's admission is minimal;

The possibility of the spread of the infection created by the alien's admission is minimal; an

No expense will be incurred by any government agency, without that agency's prior consent."

So you can get waivers, if not immigrating, in two situations: "for admission to the United States for 30 days or less to attend conferences, receive medical treatment, visit close family members, or conduct business"; or "to attend certain "designated events," which are considered to be in the public interest, such as academic and educational conferences and international sports events".

If you are immigrating, you must be the spouse or unmarried son or daughter, or the minor unmarried lawfully adopted child of a U.S. citizen or permanent resident; or have a son or daughter who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, and meet the requirements you mentioned above.

Thanks for the info again, Carol!

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

I didn't get the pneumocócica because he said it's only for people over 60, and that there was no need to give me it. And this is the only one they didn't give me at the Posto de Saúde.

Mew, the one I said I couldn't get earlier was the rubéola one but that was in Rondonia, here in Rio I could get it for free at the Posto de Saúde, the tri-viral one, that includes it.

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

Timeline
I didn't get the pneumocócica because he said it's only for people over 60, and that there was no need to give me it. And this is the only one they didn't give me at the Posto de Saúde.

Mew, the one I said I couldn't get earlier was the rubéola one but that was in Rondonia, here in Rio I could get it for free at the Posto de Saúde, the tri-viral one, that includes it.

oh okay. I wonder whether Dr. Castello thinks I'm old! :lol: He asked me for the pneumonia one!

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

Here's a quick question that I think I know the answer to, but maybe someone knows different.

The only place you can get the medical is at one of the approved Dr.'s offices that they list on they're sheet right?

I've been a little concerned about this, as I would love for her to get the medical done now, but she's nothing short of a plane ride to any of those places they list.

Is my only option to get the Medical a few days before her interview while were in Rio? I heard the results are typically ready the next day, but am not sure

3dflagsdotcomusa2fawm8fa.gif 3dflagsdotcombrazi2fawm8bu.gif

NOA1 Date Received - 5/09/2006

Petition Transfered from NSC to CSC - 6/01/2006

Touched - 6/02/2006

Touched - 6/03/2006

IMBRA RFE Received - 06/30/2006 (Dated 06/23/2006)

IMBRA RFE Delivered - 07/01/2006 (USPS Next Day)

Touched - 07/03/2006 (Email saying they sent RFE)

Touched - 07/04/2006

Touched - 07/05/2006

Touched - 07/10/2006 (Recieved RFE Response)

Touched - 07/11/2006

Touched - 07/12/2006

Touched - 07/13/2006

Touched - 08/03/2006

NOA2 Approved - 08/03/2006

Touched - 08/06/2006

NVC Entered Case into System - 08/21/2006

Consulate in Rio de Janeiro confirms receipt - 08/29/2006 (may have arrived sooner, only got around to calling today).

Fiance sent Packet 3 to Embassy (Before she actually received it) - 09/01/2006

Fiance receives actual Packet 3 - 09/06/2006

Fiance receives Packet 4 - 09/22/2006

Medical Scheduled - 11/06/2006

Interview Scheduled - 11/07/2006

Fiance should be on her way to me! 11/10/2006

Visa Approved!

Timeline
Here's a quick question that I think I know the answer to, but maybe someone knows different.

The only place you can get the medical is at one of the approved Dr.'s offices that they list on they're sheet right?

I've been a little concerned about this, as I would love for her to get the medical done now, but she's nothing short of a plane ride to any of those places they list.

Is my only option to get the Medical a few days before her interview while were in Rio? I heard the results are typically ready the next day, but am not sure

Yes, one can only get the medical at one with one of the doctors in the list provided by the consulate.

Girls who've had their medicals in Rio will no doubt assist you with information on how long it takes to get everything done.

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

Erik,

Here it goes a suggestion for her: call Dr. Joaquim in Rio and ask all the tests and vaccination prescriptions (I think they can mail to her), then she can do all the tests and vaccines in her city and go to Rio 1 day b4 the interview to submit everything to Dr Joaquim. She will get the sealed envelope right away (ops, after 40 mins while he fill out all the info on the forms). Then she will pay JUST the appointment for him, plus the tests and vaccines in her city. She can use the health insurance (if she has one) to do the tests and take the vaccines at "Posto de Saude" for free.

Good luck!

coracao.gif

CAROL & MARC

MY HONEY'S PROFILE

Remove Conditions

08-28-08 - Mailed I-751

08-30-08 - Delivered

09-01-08 - Touched

09-03-08 - Check cleared

kitazura.gifkpuppy1.gif

BICHON FRISE LOVER!!!

Timeline

And even if she wants to do all at the doctor, I recommend the free vaccines at a Posto de Saúde, Dr. Joaquim does the testing and x-ray and gives the sealed envelope all in the same day, she can do it the day before the interview just fine, and while she waits for results in the envelope she can walk a short distance to the citibank and pay the visa fee. All very peaceful. Also, Dr. Joaquim's office is RIGHT in front of the consulate, so she'll get accostumed to the area even. :lol:

11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics

*View Complete Timeline

Timeline
And even if she wants to do all at the doctor, I recommend the free vaccines at a Posto de Saúde, Dr. Joaquim does the testing and x-ray and gives the sealed envelope all in the same day, she can do it the day before the interview just fine, and while she waits for results in the envelope she can walk a short distance to the citibank and pay the visa fee. All very peaceful. Also, Dr. Joaquim's office is RIGHT in front of the consulate, so she'll get accostumed to the area even. :lol:

Excellent everyone, thanks very much! She is going to receive her DT (difteria and tetano) and

MMR (sarampo - caxumba - rubeola) injections at the Posto de Saude in the next couple weeks. I was just unsure about the medical exam, and how long it took. Good to hear this Dr. gives her the results the same day, it will make scheduling her and I's trip out there for the interview much easier.

I'm going to bookmark this thread. Thanks again! :D

3dflagsdotcomusa2fawm8fa.gif 3dflagsdotcombrazi2fawm8bu.gif

NOA1 Date Received - 5/09/2006

Petition Transfered from NSC to CSC - 6/01/2006

Touched - 6/02/2006

Touched - 6/03/2006

IMBRA RFE Received - 06/30/2006 (Dated 06/23/2006)

IMBRA RFE Delivered - 07/01/2006 (USPS Next Day)

Touched - 07/03/2006 (Email saying they sent RFE)

Touched - 07/04/2006

Touched - 07/05/2006

Touched - 07/10/2006 (Recieved RFE Response)

Touched - 07/11/2006

Touched - 07/12/2006

Touched - 07/13/2006

Touched - 08/03/2006

NOA2 Approved - 08/03/2006

Touched - 08/06/2006

NVC Entered Case into System - 08/21/2006

Consulate in Rio de Janeiro confirms receipt - 08/29/2006 (may have arrived sooner, only got around to calling today).

Fiance sent Packet 3 to Embassy (Before she actually received it) - 09/01/2006

Fiance receives actual Packet 3 - 09/06/2006

Fiance receives Packet 4 - 09/22/2006

Medical Scheduled - 11/06/2006

Interview Scheduled - 11/07/2006

Fiance should be on her way to me! 11/10/2006

Visa Approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.