faithinGod

I-134 please advise!

14 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

after reading all the I-134 topics i became a little worried because my fiancee (USC) worked for the last 4 years as a contractor in Iraq wich was a tax free job so there are no tax returns.We have the W2 though, will that be enough?

Thank you so much!

mGDboiw.jpgmGDbm4.png

zzflag019.gif united-states-flag.gif

03/31/2010 filed I129

12/16/2010 Interwiew-Approved

02/07/2011 POE-Chicago

03/16/2011 Wedding!!!

05/23/2011 AOS,EAD,AP apps sent

07/15/2011 EAD, AP approved

10/05/2011 AOS approved

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hello everybody,

after reading all the I-134 topics i became a little worried because my fiancee (USC) worked for the last 4 years as a contractor in Iraq wich was a tax free job so there are no tax returns.We have the W2 though, will that be enough?

Thank you so much!

There may well be no tax due as a result of the foreign income exclusion but you are still required to file the returns. Be aware that income that will not continue from the same source while living in the USA will not be considered in qualifying as sponsor. You may need a cosponsor unless you can qualify based on assets or already have a new job in the USA.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

There may well be no tax due as a result of the foreign income exclusion but you are still required to file the returns. Be aware that income that will not continue from the same source while living in the USA will not be considered in qualifying as sponsor. You may need a cosponsor unless you can qualify based on assets or already have a new job in the USA.

Thank you for the reply!

He has a new job in USA since january, he is in the Police Academy and makes 34k a year plus GI bill.There are no kids just the 2 of us.

Do you think we still need a cosponsor?

Thank you.

mGDboiw.jpgmGDbm4.png

03/31/2010 filed I129

02/07/2011 POE-Chicago

03/16/2011 Wedding!!!

10/05/2011 AOS approved

Thank you for the reply!

He has a new job in USA since january, he is in the Police Academy and makes 34k a year plus GI bill.There are no kids just the 2 of us.

Do you think we still need a cosponsor?

Thank you.

You won't need a cosponsor, but he will need to file past tax returns.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Thank you all, you are all very helpfull!

mGDboiw.jpgmGDbm4.png

03/31/2010 filed I129

02/07/2011 POE-Chicago

03/16/2011 Wedding!!!

10/05/2011 AOS approved

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Pushbrk is correct on this. I also worked in Iraq for as many years, and if your fiancé did not file taxes he was in error. Form 2555, Foreign Earned Income, is a federal tax exemption up to a certain figure -- this year, $91,400 -- but does not supplant the requirement to file federal taxes itself.

As for the rest, it has already been answered. If his current income is $34,000 -- and he has no other dependents -- you guys exceed the poverty guideline and should have no problem.

Good luck!

17-Jan-10 - Filed K-1

26-Apr-10 - Approved

06-May-10 - Entered POE

24-May-10 - Married

22-Jul-10 - Filed AOS

24-Sep-10 - Biometrics Appointment

18-Nov-10 - Approved

29-Nov-10 - Received Green Card

Pushbrk is correct on this. I also worked in Iraq for as many years, and if your fiancé did not file taxes he was in error. Form 2555, Foreign Earned Income, is a federal tax exemption up to a certain figure -- this year, $91,400 -- but does not supplant the requirement to file federal taxes itself.

As for the rest, it has already been answered. If his current income is $34,000 -- and he has no other dependents -- you guys exceed the poverty guideline and should have no problem.

Good luck!

Thank you Alcheringa!

So is it too late to file now?what does he have to do?

I`m sorry i don`t know i`m the non USC and he`s at work now , i can`t talk to him untill 5pm!

thank you!

mGDboiw.jpgmGDbm4.png

03/31/2010 filed I129

02/07/2011 POE-Chicago

03/16/2011 Wedding!!!

10/05/2011 AOS approved

Timeline

Thank you Alcheringa!

So is it too late to file now?what does he have to do?

I`m sorry i don`t know i`m the non USC and he`s at work now , i can`t talk to him untill 5pm!

thank you!

He'll need to find a tax professional who is back from vacation and hire them to assist in filing back returns. It's nice that he has the GI bill but that is not considered "income". His salary is more than sufficient to qualify. Note that tax returns are not an absolute requirement for the I-134 but they will be for the I-864 he'll file after your marriage.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm hoping you two simply misunderstood one another, and he did file. If he was in Iraq for that long, he almost certainly knew he was supposed to file his federal taxes -- unless he intended not to. Some folks did attempt to go that route in hope that they'd never be audited. Of course, being a contractor itself is a red flag to the IRS and being audited is not uncommon for us.

I do not know the specifics on paying back-taxes for four years, but there will be penalties involved -- and I wouldn't be surprised if not having paid promptly might negate the ability to file Form 2555 for the tax exemption. That hopefully is not the case, but would be something you'd need to define.

Of course, being able to claim the tax exemption and file Form 2555 itself is predicated by the USC having spent 335 days off of U.S. soil for the year -- meaning, not just in Iraq but anywhere else aside from the continental U.S. and its territories. If he was not filing taxes, and apparently not concerning himself with claiming the exemption, he may or may not have made the effort to meet that stipulation. Which means he'd be paying quite a large amount back for each year, plus penalties.

Talk to him and see what he says, and then go from there. If you have any questions about that end of it, PM me and if I don't know myself I'll ask around and find out.

17-Jan-10 - Filed K-1

26-Apr-10 - Approved

06-May-10 - Entered POE

24-May-10 - Married

22-Jul-10 - Filed AOS

24-Sep-10 - Biometrics Appointment

18-Nov-10 - Approved

29-Nov-10 - Received Green Card

Thank you so much!i`ll talk to him later today!

mGDboiw.jpgmGDbm4.png

03/31/2010 filed I129

02/07/2011 POE-Chicago

03/16/2011 Wedding!!!

10/05/2011 AOS approved

Timeline

I'm hoping you two simply misunderstood one another, and he did file. If he was in Iraq for that long, he almost certainly knew he was supposed to file his federal taxes -- unless he intended not to. Some folks did attempt to go that route in hope that they'd never be audited. Of course, being a contractor itself is a red flag to the IRS and being audited is not uncommon for us.

I do not know the specifics on paying back-taxes for four years, but there will be penalties involved -- and I wouldn't be surprised if not having paid promptly might negate the ability to file Form 2555 for the tax exemption. That hopefully is not the case, but would be something you'd need to define.

Of course, being able to claim the tax exemption and file Form 2555 itself is predicated by the USC having spent 335 days off of U.S. soil for the year -- meaning, not just in Iraq but anywhere else aside from the continental U.S. and its territories. If he was not filing taxes, and apparently not concerning himself with claiming the exemption, he may or may not have made the effort to meet that stipulation. Which means he'd be paying quite a large amount back for each year, plus penalties.

Talk to him and see what he says, and then go from there. If you have any questions about that end of it, PM me and if I don't know myself I'll ask around and find out.

Filing back taxes is a separate issue from "paying" back taxes. He may or may not owe any tax. If he does, yes there will be penalties.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Well i don`t think he owes, he worked in military camps for KBR in Iraq, but i will definately tell him to get in tuch with a tax attorney or something like that ( i don`t really know anything about taxes and tax returns)!

Thank you guys

mGDboiw.jpgmGDbm4.png

03/31/2010 filed I129

02/07/2011 POE-Chicago

03/16/2011 Wedding!!!

10/05/2011 AOS approved

Timeline

Well i don`t think he owes, he worked in military camps for KBR in Iraq, but i will definately tell him to get in tuch with a tax attorney or something like that ( i don`t really know anything about taxes and tax returns)!

Thank you guys

Whether he "owes" will depend on how much he made. There's a limit on how much foreign income is exempt from tax. If he made more than that, he'll owe some tax and penalties. The changes every year but is approximately $90,000 a year, probably between 88 and 91 thousand.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.