frndly1

Women that are established before marriage and have gone thru AOS

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello Ladies,

I know you are suppose to show that you are living as one for the AOS, but how much of your life before marriage has to be altered? I mean if you have a house and insurance on the house did you put your husband's name on it or did you just put him down as a benificary? What about car insurance when they dont have a driver's license? How much of your old life did you alter to put your husband on it in some form or fashion and how did it work at the interview?

I know this is personal so if you would like to email me privately I would be interested.

If someone can talk to me that has been thru this I would greatly appreciate it.

Edited by frndly1

Traveled to Morocco on Aug 3rd, 2005

Got Engaged on Aug 16th, 2005

Left Morocco on Aug 19th, 2005

08-29-05 Filed I129F

01-09-06 Interview Date (9am) We were not approved today, I guess we got a 221g of the damn S. Korea Police Certificate that Casablanca said we didn't need.

03/03/06 Turn in Passport at 9am

03/15/06 Visa Issued

03/31/06 Enter USA via JFK

05/15/06 Wedding for Visa

06/10/06 Mailed AOS papers

07/06/06 Biometerics Apt

07/15/06 My offical wedding day....I know .....:-)

07/10/06 Touched

08/25/06 EAD Approvel

09/01/06 EAD in Hand

09/26/06 AOS Interview (Recommend for Approval)

10-05-06 Received Welcome Letter

10-10-06 Green Card Arrived.

We are now one9d63d28.jpg.png

I am not making any decisions based on AOS. Maybe it will backfire, but my decisions will all be made on what I feel is right and not because I am trying to prove my real marriage to immigration.

With that said, from an Islamic perspective, a woman's wealth is hers to keep and own independently - not only what she owned prior to marriage but her dowry and any marital gifts.

Hello Ladies,

I know you are suppose to show that you are living as one for the AOS, but how much of your life before marriage has to be altered? I mean if you have a house and insurance on the house did you put your husband's name on it or did you just put him down as a benificary? What about car insurance when they dont have a driver's license? How much of your old life did you alter to put your husband on it in some form or fashion and how did it work at the interview?

I know this is personal so if you would like to email me privately I would be interested.

If someone can talk to me that has been thru this I would greatly appreciate it.

Timeline

I truly understand.

I am not making any decisions based on AOS. Maybe it will backfire, but my decisions will all be made on what I feel is right and not because I am trying to prove my real marriage to immigration.

With that said, from an Islamic perspective, a woman's wealth is hers to keep and own independently - not only what she owned prior to marriage but her dowry and any marital gifts.

Hello Ladies,

08-29-05 Filed I129F

01-09-06 Interview Date (9am) We were not approved today, I guess we got a 221g of the damn S. Korea Police Certificate that Casablanca said we didn't need.

03/15/06 Visa Issued

07/06/06 Biometerics Apt

07/10/06 Touched

08/25/06 EAD Approvel

09/01/06 EAD in Hand

I truly understand.

AOS in some ways seems to encourage you to act in ways that are untrue to who you are. I don't normally take pictures; as a result, we don't have many photos together. If we were to take a bunch of picture to please AOS, it would be fake. Yet, somehow this would make our marriage more real. :wacko:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
Hello Ladies,

Hello Friendly

I would this is a personal issue, different person to person... Um, yes sure proves are needed to show your relation but also depends on the person (what proves they want to show: photos, phone logs, e-mails/letters, etc)

Um, in this forum MENA I would think Islam comes into the picture, for the couples that are muslim and practising...as then the women has a right to her own property and money without having to share it with her husband...as the husband is responsible for her maintanence.

But even, if this doesn't apply to couple... I do believe one doesn't have to totally alter their lives from what it was before... Examples would be: changing your surname to that of your SO, joint properties or any other prossessions (money,bank accounts, etc) ...

As far as the car insurance is concerned...that differs also state to state...but in my state I am only required to add any adult that has a driver's licencse to my policy that I know will be driving.

And your house...again a personal issue... I know many couples ( married to foreigners) that didn't add the spouses name...

So as far as the interview is concerned... I mean if you including your SO in your life now, your bank accounts, home, etc...then great show them that in the interview...but if you are not, then I think it wouldn't hurt you... just as long as you can prove you two live together ( have bills or any mails coming to your joint adddress) photos, etc...

If you any more questions feel free to ask me, if I can I will try help...

Peace and Blessings

Filed: Timeline

Rebecca,

You echoed my sentiments about this whole process. It reall does leave one feeling they have to jump through hoops to please the government agencies and to hell with personal choice. I don't like it. I'm like you, I want to live my life as any other American that isn't undergoing scrutiny. I'm flat busted broke, sitting here considering buying a wedding dress. I don't want a wedding dress. I want a MARRIAGE. Even Mohammed said why spend so much money on a dress to be worn only one time. The reason? AOS. P*sses me off that I am actually letting this make my decisions. Then again, I want Mohammed with me and my children here, so I feel I have little choice. Quite a quandry... and still leaves me angry.

Does anyone have any experience with AOS without all the "fluffery"?

(*grumbles something not so nice about fluffery having not one damn thing to do with the quality of a marriage*)

I will let you know when we are done. We have zero wedding pictures. We married alone. I wasn't going to have a wedding celebration to placate AOS. I didn't want a wedding party in my first marriage either so this is just me. My marriage is a committment to my husband and I choose not to have any fanfare (nothing against people who choose otherwise). We have joint accounts. We have letters from people who know us. We do have pictures of him with my daughter, or him in our first big snow as these are things he wanted pictures of. That is about it.

I really wish they would just take my 9-year-old daughter into AOS and drill her. She will tell them about her stepfather and answer any of their questions. There is nothing we are hiding but we also haven't generated "proof" either. Just reminded me, I could pull some of her school papers where she talked about her stepdad as part of our AOS proof.

Rebecca

Rebecca,

You echoed my sentiments about this whole process. It reall does leave one feeling they have to jump through hoops to please the government agencies and to hell with personal choice. I don't like it. I'm like you, I want to live my life as any other American that isn't undergoing scrutiny. I'm flat busted broke, sitting here considering buying a wedding dress. I don't want a wedding dress. I want a MARRIAGE. Even Mohammed said why spend so much money on a dress to be worn only one time. The reason? AOS. P*sses me off that I am actually letting this make my decisions. Then again, I want Mohammed with me and my children here, so I feel I have little choice. Quite a quandry... and still leaves me angry.

(*grumbles something not so nice about fluffery having not one damn thing to do with the quality of a marriage*)

As you know I was previously married to a Yemeni man. He did not have his permanent residency when we married. I had to go to an AOS interview with him. We didn't have a fancy wedding or anything. I wore a black suit and he wore a suit. We had a few pics of that. Other than that we didn't have any other personal pics together. They never asked to see any pics of us together. They asked us a few simple questions (separately) and that was it. The man who interviewed me just gave me a warning at the end that many mid eastern men use women yada, yada, yada. He gave me my ex's alien number just in case I wanted to report him one day.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Well...I might be able to answer some of this. I already owned our condo, the car, had utilities, etc before we were married. If you filed a joint tax return (if that is possible by this time right now), that will definitely help (our interviewer was most interested in a copy of that). Otherwise, he just asked us a few personal questions as he was looking through Hicham's folder. (I think I might have also given him a copy of our joint bank statement.)

Twila

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png

Rebecca,

I feel the same way. I had a big to-do for my first wedding, and look how that turned out. ;) This time, the emphasis is going to be on the marriage... on us and the decisions we make together. The heck with what everybody else thinks. We've had enough life experience to know what we're doing and intend to approach the AOS as the next step... not some giant obstacle to overcome.

That being said, David and I are going to decide together what makes sense for him to be added onto. He needs to be able to establish credit on his own terms, so we're just going to do what makes sense for us.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

when I went thought AOS before. my ex was only added to things that we had togeather,. since we did not own a house or property. it was not an issue. I had my car and he had his. now as with my Bingo. we will ultimately buy a home togeahter so he will go on the deed. since dallas is a community property state he is already joint owner to all.

shon.gif

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

I had to go thru AOS with my late husband, a Lebanese international student whom I met in college. We had no wedding, no pictures, his name was on the lease, but not the car, and he was granted smoothly. This was pre-9/11 of course. This time, tho, still no wedding, altho there was a honeymoon; few pictures as I don't take photos much either and prefer to put my emphasis on marriage rather than weddings. That's the precedent, we'll see how well it works.

Edited by szsz

We have gone thru AOS. I sent with the paperwork a copy of our lease with both names, a few utility bills and a bank statement with both names. That was sufficient for Chicago. They asked for nothing in my expandable file that I brought. The only thing that came out of it was the previous years taxes (both names) and his passport.

I also didn't want to 'jump thru any hoops', but after 2 years of USCIS nightmare, I would have jumped thru anything just to have it over with. You have to do what is required by them. We could have said,,'we're muslim so we dont have a bank, or insurance, or joint money...' but you know what...the interviewing officer may not want to learn about Islam in the middle of your AOS interview. They only want to see proof that you are indeed living together as a married couple. Your future depends on this one last person.

Good luck in your process.

Jackie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

This is the stuff we had for our AOS interview. Now, I wasn't really "established" prior to Tamer getting here. I graduated from college 2.5 years ago and still haven't gotten really settled in.

Pictures - My husband loves to take pictures, so we have maybe 20, a few with our friends, some from trips we took to the zool.

Wedding pictures - we didn't have a big wedding, just a 5 minute thing at the mosque. So, we had some candid shots from that. The interviewer was very taken aback that we didn't have a reception and that no family and friends were there. But, we explained our reasoning, and she was "ok" with it after awhile I guess.

Health insurance - He's on my health insurance

Joint Checking/Savings - We have a joint checking/savings account, but will both have our own savings accounts as well, to keep our personal funds in. We set his up when he got here, but I'm too lazy to seperate out my own money at this point.

Apartment - We're both on the lease

Utility - We're both on the electric/cable bills

Car title - my parents gave us a car when we got married (alhamduililah), so both our names are on the title, even though my husband doesn't know how to drive.

Taxes - we filed taxes jointly as well

Letters addressed to both of us - wedding invites from my friends inviting us to their wedding, cards from my family congratulating us on our marriage

Letter from my job - stating that Tamer was listed as my spouse in their files

For our interview, I kinda shoved all our evidence on the lady quickly. I was nervous and just chucking things across the table :lol: She kept all the evidence we had, although I don't know if that's because we threw it at her or because she really wanted it.

We got approved the same day. I don't know if it was beause of the evidence, or how smooth we looked. A lot of the people in the interview room were wearing jeans and tshirts carrying manila folders. We wore business like clothes, carried a briefcase and had everything arranged in a photo album with folders inside to hold the evidence.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

thank you ladies. I have been pondering over somethings and I am going to do what I feel is comfortable for me and our relationship.

08-29-05 Filed I129F

03/15/06 Visa Issued

07/06/06 Biometerics Apt

07/10/06 Touched

08/25/06 EAD Approvel

09/01/06 EAD in Hand

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.