freepenny

No impediment certificate

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My lawyer, who prepared and submitted my petition states that Kingston does not require a no impediment certificate.

I am trying to figure it out. Where is the information that requests this certificate? Has anyone from the Kingston bunch ever been asked for this certificate? Any info will help on this matter. My fiance's interview is May 7th.

Thanks

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My lawyer, who prepared and submitted my petition states that Kingston does not require a no impediment certificate.

I am trying to figure it out. Where is the information that requests this certificate? Has anyone from the Kingston bunch ever been asked for this certificate? Any info will help on this matter. My fiance's interview is May 7th.

Thanks

You WILL need to get the no-impediment certificate, if your fiance(e) doesn't have it at the interview he will not be approved for the visa on that day and that will cause unnecessary delay. The no imped certificate is used to prove that your fiance is not married or have never been married and is free to marry you. however, if your fiance was married before all he/she would need to provide is the original divorce decree. DON'T LET THE LAWYER TELL YOU #######.

TAMH

:bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk:

Penny, is seems as if you have a lawyer, maybe you should be following his direction, but one of the things that we here in the JA forum do is try to give those who goinfgthru the process the correct information. I trust your lawyer, just had an interview at the Kingston embassy to make such a statement. MrsTee, gave you the latest information on how to obtain this form in a previous post, andf only those who have gone thru the Jamaican embassy can answer if it is need or not.

http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?trim=no&cty=&cnty=Jamaica&page=3&dfilter=5

While I thought long and hard about searching the embassies reviews to prove to you that the information that fellow JA poster had given you were correct, I proceed to do just that. I will post their review and you can decide how you wish to proceed with this factual information.

Review Topic: K1 Visa

Arrival

We arrived to the Embassy around 8:15 am for our 8:30 appointment. We approached a long line at the front of the embassy and was greeted by a consulate officer. She checked our paperwork and highlighted the areas where corrections needed to be made. She then asked us to go to the front of the line and show the security officer our paperwork. We then entered the building and had to go through the medal detectors. They do not allow cell phones, so the only items we had with us were keys and paperwork. I would also suggest that you bring a pen because we had to borrow one on several occassions.

Entering the Main Building

After we made it through the medal detectors we had to stand in line for the main entrance. There were applicants for visitor and other types of visas sitting on both sides. They were allowing about 5 people into the building at a time. We had to step out of the line to make the corrections to our paperwork, however, we were allowed to get back in place after this was complete. After we entered the building, we stood in a line to give the consulate officers our DS forms and in return we received a number. We were then asked to enter the building and sit on the right side.

Part 1

After about 20 minutes our number appeared and we approached the window. We were asked for his birth certificate, non-impediment, police certificate, and his paasport. The Jamaican officer was very rude and it was very difficult to understand what she was saying. She was asking for my 2008 paperwork, but I wasn't sure exactly what she wanted. I had bank statements, employment letter, etc. so I wasn't quite sure what she wanted. She got so frustrated that we didn't understand her that she made us stand to the side for over 10 minutes while she helped someone else. As we were standing to the side, my fiance eventually translated what she was asking for. We stood patiently and she eventually called us back to the window. I then provided her with the I-134 form, employment letter and 2008 W-2s and tax returns. She then asked us to go to Window 17 for fingerprinting.

Part 2

After fingerprinting, we returned back to the right side to wait to be called back for the interview. During our wait, we saw over 5 people receive blue slips. We could not totally understand everything, but most of the blue slips were for family-related visas and they seeemed to be due to a lack of paperwork. After our friends, Eric and Jew made it through their interview with an approval, we felt a little more optimistic. We were eventually called to the window by the blonde officer. She looked through our paperwork and asked the following questions:

1.) When did we meet?

2.) How did we meet?

3.) How many times had I visited?

4.) When did I know I wanted to marry him?

5.) Have I met his family?

6.) Has he met my family?

7.) What was my occupation?

She never divided us up and all of the questions were asked as we both stood at the window. She then looked through our pictures that were provided in original application and asked if they were all from the same visit. We told her no and indicated that they were from my visits in June and August. She then handed my pictures to me because she said that we may not see them again. She then told us that he was approved and told us to go to the DHL window. She also told us that we had 90 days to get married upon his arrival to the US. We thanked her and he went to the DHL counter to setup shipping arrangements.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Timeline

Thanks

your lawyer is doing what lawyers do best, lie! don't follow that advise, you will absolutely need that piece of paper. start working on it asap,cuz sometimes the registrar general dept. isn't very efficient

Another Mama Jew on the way!!!!!

e7G5m4.png

"All progress is precarious, and the solution of one problem brings us face to face wih another problem" Dr. MLK Jr.

12/3/2009--- visa in hand

12/09/2009-- POE Baltimore MD

02/13/2010-- Going to the Chapel

02/23/2010-- AOS package mailed

04/29/2010-- Welcome letter received

05/01/2010-- Green Card in hand

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

headbonk.gifheadbonk.gifheadbonk.gifheadbonk.gifheadbonk.gif

Penny, is seems as if you have a lawyer, maybe you should be following his direction, but one of the things that we here in the JA forum do is try to give those who goinfgthru the process the correct information. I trust your lawyer, just had an interview at the Kingston embassy to make such a statement. MrsTee, gave you the latest information on how to obtain this form in a previous post, andf only those who have gone thru the Jamaican embassy can answer if it is need or not.

http://www.visajourn...age=3&dfilter=5

While I thought long and hard about searching the embassies reviews to prove to you that the information that fellow JA poster had given you were correct, I proceed to do just that. I will post their review and you can decide how you wish to proceed with this factual information.

Review Topic: K1 Visa

Arrival

We arrived to the Embassy around 8:15 am for our 8:30 appointment. We approached a long line at the front of the embassy and was greeted by a consulate officer. She checked our paperwork and highlighted the areas where corrections needed to be made. She then asked us to go to the front of the line and show the security officer our paperwork. We then entered the building and had to go through the medal detectors. They do not allow cell phones, so the only items we had with us were keys and paperwork. I would also suggest that you bring a pen because we had to borrow one on several occassions.

Entering the Main Building

After we made it through the medal detectors we had to stand in line for the main entrance. There were applicants for visitor and other types of visas sitting on both sides. They were allowing about 5 people into the building at a time. We had to step out of the line to make the corrections to our paperwork, however, we were allowed to get back in place after this was complete. After we entered the building, we stood in a line to give the consulate officers our DS forms and in return we received a number. We were then asked to enter the building and sit on the right side.

Part 1

After about 20 minutes our number appeared and we approached the window. We were asked for his birth certificate, non-impediment, police certificate, and his paasport. The Jamaican officer was very rude and it was very difficult to understand what she was saying. She was asking for my 2008 paperwork, but I wasn't sure exactly what she wanted. I had bank statements, employment letter, etc. so I wasn't quite sure what she wanted. She got so frustrated that we didn't understand her that she made us stand to the side for over 10 minutes while she helped someone else. As we were standing to the side, my fiance eventually translated what she was asking for. We stood patiently and she eventually called us back to the window. I then provided her with the I-134 form, employment letter and 2008 W-2s and tax returns. She then asked us to go to Window 17 for fingerprinting.

Part 2

After fingerprinting, we returned back to the right side to wait to be called back for the interview. During our wait, we saw over 5 people receive blue slips. We could not totally understand everything, but most of the blue slips were for family-related visas and they seeemed to be due to a lack of paperwork. After our friends, Eric and Jew made it through their interview with an approval, we felt a little more optimistic. We were eventually called to the window by the blonde officer. She looked through our paperwork and asked the following questions:

1.) When did we meet?

2.) How did we meet?

3.) How many times had I visited?

4.) When did I know I wanted to marry him?

5.) Have I met his family?

6.) Has he met my family?

7.) What was my occupation?

She never divided us up and all of the questions were asked as we both stood at the window. She then looked through our pictures that were provided in original application and asked if they were all from the same visit. We told her no and indicated that they were from my visits in June and August. She then handed my pictures to me because she said that we may not see them again. She then told us that he was approved and told us to go to the DHL window. She also told us that we had 90 days to get married upon his arrival to the US. We thanked her and he went to the DHL counter to setup shipping arrangements.

Great example! Folks don't listen.... go ahead and go the interview without it. Mostly likely you will be "blue slipped" for not having it! We are here to help but if you are dead set on not taking VJ'ers advice (who have been through this no doubt) then you get what you are asking for. Good luck!

Timeline

your lawyer is doing what lawyers do best, lie! don't follow that advise, you will absolutely need that piece of paper. start working on it asap,cuz sometimes the registrar general dept. isn't very efficient

I feeling bad for freepenny cause we both have the same date may 7 i applied for my impediment form and still aint get it..not sometimes all the times they aint efficient

Timeline

Guys u would never believe. so the non impediment that took longer than we paid for to arrive and I was calling the people and cussing them out for it everday at the same time last week for..Finally arrived friday afternoon. so while my honey was in town they called and said the where on their way country to kellits to deliver it to this particular office.. My husband said to the guy i am in town doing my medical on hope road so the guy said perfect I will come and deliver yours to you there.. When the guys reach the looked at each other and start to laugh it was his cousin....Plus the place that he was dropping all the other forms of to was also his cousin I was in the cousin office printing out a the other documents that we would need...So being FAMILY my hubby delivered all the other BC and impediment forms country so that that they can be picked up in order to save his cousin a 2 hr drive country...WELL sah at least it did not take five months..

• 4 years later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I feeling bad for freepenny cause we both have the same date may 7 i applied for my impediment form and still aint get it..not sometimes all the times they aint efficient

Are you in Jamaica? Or did you apply for the no impediment certificate online. I am trying to figure out how to go about getting this now and I don't see any online application. On the rgd.gov.jm site I only see the birth, marriage and death ones available to apply for online, hoping you can help..

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

My fiancé applied for a non-impediment certificate. He was previously married in Jamaica and got a divorce in Canada. He received a letter on special paper from the Registrar General's office stating a non-impediment certificate cannot be issued and it shows his ex-wife's name. Do we just bring that letter along with his divorce decree to the interview or is there a way to get Jamaica to show the divorce and issue a non-impediment certificate? Our interview is in 2 weeks so we are in a rush to get it figured out. Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Old thread closed.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.