Pennsylvania

Questions about Ukrainian University Education

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this question but here goes. Please let me know if it would be more appropriate elsewhere!

My fiancee is in the third year of her undergraduate degree in Ukraine, studying humanities. She has decent marks and if she stayed in Ukraine would graduate in May 2011 with the Bachelor's degree equivalent there. If all goes as planned, however, she would be approved and come to me in the USA before that time. My fiancee wants to pursue higher education in the USA, and I support this. We will have the resources, long-term, to do this without problems.

What we would like to know, however, is whether her Ukrainian academic credit would have value here in the USA. Of course, we are very much aware of the pedagogical and practical differences between the US and Ukrainian educational systems. I'm certain that this is probably a very specific question which should be addressed to both the prospective US university and the current Ukrainian university.

If anyone on this forum, however, has experience with anything like this, and can share general tips, likelihoods, ideas, etc., that would be great!

Thanks so much!!!!!!

10/18/2009 We became acquainted online

03/08/2010 First visit

03/10/2010 First "I Love You"

03/15/2010 First sad return home

04/20/2010 We decided to get married

05/11/2010 Sent I-129F package

05/13/2010 Package received by VSC (mail receipt)

05/23/2010 NOA-1

05/24/2010 Check Cashed by VSC

06/17/2010 NOA-2!!!!

08/01/2010 Second visit

08/??/2010 Formal engagement

Timeline

Hey, going throught the same thing. First some schools translate the degree from a far. At that point they compare the requirements and see where they end up. You can call the school and they will do the translation ot refer you to a company that they use in this area. For the masters the GRE or MAt exam will be needed and The TOEFL exam for English as well. Anna will be faced with waiting one year before she can enter the program because she will not be here in time to meet the deadline for entrance. The other thing is in state and out of state. Where i love now I can throw a rock and hit the Florida line. The nearest schools are in Jacksonville and you have to live in FLA for one year before you can get in state. Also, contact the department head of the school she is going too and they can place you on the path to help.

David

David Lee Swann

aka doc

Vermont

Sent -03/01/2010

Got -03/04/2010

Touched 03/09/2010

Noa 03/10/2010

NOA2 05/20/2010

Left NVC 05/25/2010

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this question but here goes. Please let me know if it would be more appropriate elsewhere!

My fiancee is in the third year of her undergraduate degree in Ukraine, studying humanities. She has decent marks and if she stayed in Ukraine would graduate in May 2011 with the Bachelor's degree equivalent there. If all goes as planned, however, she would be approved and come to me in the USA before that time. My fiancee wants to pursue higher education in the USA, and I support this. We will have the resources, long-term, to do this without problems.

What we would like to know, however, is whether her Ukrainian academic credit would have value here in the USA. Of course, we are very much aware of the pedagogical and practical differences between the US and Ukrainian educational systems. I'm certain that this is probably a very specific question which should be addressed to both the prospective US university and the current Ukrainian university.

If anyone on this forum, however, has experience with anything like this, and can share general tips, likelihoods, ideas, etc., that would be great!

Thanks so much!!!!!!

You need to talk to the admissions office of the prospective schools... they are the ones who can and will help you

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My guess, without really knowing for sure, would be she would be better off coming with the degree, than just classes. My wife had had a couple years of college education and wanted to go to school here. All the Universities we looked at here in the USA required us to send her transcripts to be evaluated. Most had specific (but different) evaluation agencies that they required to be used. Her classes transferred a lot more credit hours than I would have expected...well over 60. But as far as getting credit for them towards a degree here, almost none of them "matched up" to equivalent classes offered by the University, so they didn't really help at all other than towards general credit hour count. Given that she had to take so many classes anyway, that didn't really help either. The only thing it helped with was having more than 30 credit hours which allowed her to apply as an international transfer student rather than an incoming freshman (which might have required SAT or other requirements). So I would think a degree would be far superior (as long as it comes from a credible University in Ukraine and thus transfers). With that, she could go straight into a graduate program.

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Timeline

You are correct. Anna has a BA in Psychology. The school were she will attend translated ther degree already and told us All she had to do was handle the GRE and Toelf exam. The university of Georgia was different. They refered us to a translation company to handle the translation then it would be evaluated at that point. So, from school to school it is different. Then, comes the other question, what does she want to accomplish with the degree going forward? Anna and I spoke today and she is going the online route for her masters. The whole in state and out of state thing is a killer and i am not longer in Athens or Atlanta where you can throw a rock and hit a school. Son for her the balance and savings of going the online route and working to have a social life and meet friends is a good one.

David

David Lee Swann

aka doc

Vermont

Sent -03/01/2010

Got -03/04/2010

Touched 03/09/2010

Noa 03/10/2010

NOA2 05/20/2010

Left NVC 05/25/2010

I would contact the university here that you plan for her to attend and inquire about the process. Generally there is a fee involved but you can get first hand information on what will be transferred. It is not likely that all the classes in Ukraine will be accepted but there is some reciprocity everywhere. If you start now, you will be in good shape to make an informed decision regarding what transfers and what doesn't.

My stepson is planning on doing that but he has been saying that for two years. I'd like him to get out of the community college and into the university. He's been cruising for too long now.

If funds are not a problem, getting an evaluation now may save lots of time or money later.

Timeline

Hello everyone,

Thanks so much!!!!!!

Alla's degrees and certifications transfered with full faith and credit. Get copies of her transcripts and diplomas and any certificates. Google "ECE" and follow the directions for sending them the original and translated documents and they will do an evaluation. Go for the "Course by Course" evaluation.

Some universities require the students pass the TOEFL or GRE exams with a particular score, Alla's university here did. The score they required for the computer based TOEFL was 525 or higher. Some do not require it at all. Depends on the school.

Alla's education and teaching degree were given full credit here, she was lacking a copuple credits in English and 1 credit in US history, plus her student teaching experience to get a teaching degree here. She has now accomplished those things and has decided to get a second Masters degree in English, which she is working on now along with her student teaching work.

Good luck

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

as for my situation, first of all I put apostiles on my diplomas at Ministry of Education in Ukraine. Moved to the USA, I sent all my documents to ECE ( www.ece.org ).. follow all their instractions on the website, they will send back an evaluation report in U.S. equivalent. Don't send original documents, only copies.

K1

09/11/08 - I-129F Sent
09/16/08 - I-129F NOA1
02/06/09 - I-129F NOA2
02/13/09 - NVC Received
04/06/09 - NVC Left
04/09/09 - Embassy Received
05/18/09 - Interview Passed/Visa Approved
05/21/09 - Visa Received (picked up at Fedex in Kiev)
05/28/09 - Entered U.S. via JFK
05/29/09 - Applied for SS#
06/08/09 - SS# Received in the mail
06/12/09 - Applied for a Marriage License
06/19/09 - Wedding Day
07/03/09 - SS# under new name received in the mail

AOS/EAD/AP
07/27/09 - I-485, I-765 & I-131 Sent
07/31/09 - Package arrived in Chicago
08/03/09 - NOA for all 3 forms
08/27/09 - Case transferred to CSC
09/02/09 - Biometrics appointment - Done
09/03/09 - EAD touched
09/04/09 - AOS touched
09/14/09 - AP & EAD approved - Card Ordered
09/18/09 - AP Received in the mail
09/21/09 - EAD Card received in the mail
09/25/09 - AOS Approved
09/29/09 - Green Card Sent
10/02/09 - Green Card Received.
12/18/09 - Got my Drivers License.

ROC
06/27/11 - I-751 Sent.
07/01/11 - NOA.
08/15/11- Biometrics appointment.
03/17/12- ROC Approved - No Interview.

Naturalization
01/21/15 - N-400 Sent

04/15/15 - Became a US Citizen

Timeline

as for my situation, first of all I put apostiles on my diplomas at Ministry of Education in Ukraine. Moved to the USA, I sent all my documents to ECE ( www.ece.org ).. follow all their instractions on the website, they will send back an evaluation report in U.S. equivalent. Don't send original documents, only copies.

Incidentally, all of this can be done before she arrives. We did this for Alla. she can also take the TOEFL or GRE test overseas, both Alla and our eldest son did that. She does not have to be present in the USA to get an evaluation of her credentials and she does not have to be present to get her enrolled in a university. Alla was enrolled and had applied for a private grant before arriving, submitted her evaluation and TOEFL test results. She had only to arrive, present herself with documentation of legal presence which did not prohibit attending college (The K-1 visa does not prohibit attending college) and give an SSN to qualify for the grant. She had an SSN within 48 hours of arriving and started her classes 3 business days after arriving at a private university with a private 50% grant for her education. There are no residency requirements for private universities...at least not hers, maybe I should not speak for all of them, but since they do not receive any government money from state taxpayers there is usually no need to prove "residency".

In case you were wondering what to do while you wait for visa approval...

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.