caliguy77

Should I go ahead file 130 or wait ? Need advise ASAP Please

10 posts in this topic

I got married a few months ago. I was scheduled for a citizenship interview - so I figured I'ld do the oath and then apply as a citizen instead of a LPR. Well my citizenship interview went well, passed the test, and the guy gave me a sheet of paper that says I am being recommended for Citizenship. But then he also said that my file needs to go for additional interview and I should hear something within a month. The guy did ask me for the marriage cert by the way - which luckily I had.

Now I don't know which black hole I am stuck in. The 130 application is ready. Should I file it, and then update it once I become a citizen, or if I am so close (at least it seems like it) Should I just wait.

Any ideas if one becomes a citizen then the priority changes immediately or it takes a few months to change lines - in which case I am better off waiting to file.

What do you all suggest ? ?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I suggest you wait until you have citizenship in hand, then file the I-130.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Wait till you officially become a citizen.

It takes a few months to upgrade it from LPR status.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Wait till you officially become a citizen.

It takes a few months to upgrade it from LPR status.

In my recent experience, I've seen a petition updated within a couple weeks and approved within a couple more. Frankly, I would file when ready.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

In my recent experience, I've seen a petition updated within a couple weeks and approved within a couple more. Frankly, I would file when ready.

Thanks. If you don't mind me asking, where are you getting this info from ? Is it from VJers.. I'ld like to file I am ready, specially if it only take a couple of weeks - just want to be certain. Thanks

Thanks. If you don't mind me asking, where are you getting this info from ? Is it from VJers.. I'ld like to file I am ready, specially if it only take a couple of weeks - just want to be certain. Thanks

caliguy, while i am in no means an expert, i was in the same boat though as you prior to filing my i-130. i waited for my citizenship prior to applying... and it bit me. my citizenship got delayed a couple months and so it became domino effect with my i130.

some lawyers basic principle say, whenever someone is ready and eligible/qualified for a uscis benefit, they should file for it right away for you never know what changes they do in the future.

on the other hand, my brother who filed for his wife while he was still a lpr, only had to make a phone call to uscis to upgrade his status.

in the end, i think its almost the same...the time you wait to become a citizen is probably same if not potentially longer than if you file it now then upgrade it.

thats my 2 cents.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Manilla, Philipines
Marriage (if applicable):
I-130 Sent : 2010-02-26
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-03-08
I-130 RFE :
I-130 RFE Sent :
I-130 Approved : 2010-06-24
NVC Received : 2010-07-07
Emailed DS-3032: 2010-07-07
Mailed DS-3032: 2010-07-09
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-07-08
Pay I-864 Bill: 2010-07-08
Expedite request sent via email: 2010-07-08
DS3032 approved: 2010-07-13
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-07-20
Return Completed I-864 : 2010-07-20
Receive IV Bill : 2010-07-14
Pay IV Bill : 2010-07-14
Sent DS230: 2010-07-16
Expedite request result: approved 2010-07-21
Receive Instruction Package : none
NVC Left : 2010-07-22
Consulate Received : 2010-07-26
Packet 3 Received : none
Packet 3 Sent : none
Packet 4 Claimed at Embassy : 2010-07-27
Medical exam date: 2010-08-02 Passed!
Interview Date : Aug 11
Interview Result :
Second Interview
(If Required):
Second Interview Result:
Visa Received :
US Entry :
Comments :
Processing
Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 108 days from your NOA1 date.
**My USCIS status is still stuck at "INITIAL REVIEW" but obviously, I've been past that... don't lose hope, be patient, prepare the things you have control over, and most importantly, PRAY.**

• 4 months later...
Filed: Timeline

caliguy77,

Am in a similar situation and curious to know what choice you made ( file as LPR + upgrade or File after USC) and the outcome.

Appreciate any guidance in this respect

~Toms

I got married a few months ago. I was scheduled for a citizenship interview - so I figured I'ld do the oath and then apply as a citizen instead of a LPR. Well my citizenship interview went well, passed the test, and the guy gave me a sheet of paper that says I am being recommended for Citizenship. But then he also said that my file needs to go for additional interview and I should hear something within a month. The guy did ask me for the marriage cert by the way - which luckily I had.

Now I don't know which black hole I am stuck in. The 130 application is ready. Should I file it, and then update it once I become a citizen, or if I am so close (at least it seems like it) Should I just wait.

Any ideas if one becomes a citizen then the priority changes immediately or it takes a few months to change lines - in which case I am better off waiting to file.

What do you all suggest ? ?

caliguy77,

Am in a similar situation and curious to know what choice you made ( file as LPR + upgrade or File after USC) and the outcome.

Appreciate any guidance in this respect

~Toms

It depends how far you are. If you got your LPR thru a previous marriage ? And if u have any other issues with UCIS in the past. Since mines was literally less than 60 days away, and my local office, was processing applications with in 4 months I opted to wait. But guess what, usually they have same day oat (interview + oath) same day, but in my case they asked me to come back which added a month. So in total I lost 6 months, and then when I became a Citizen I filed right away which is when the clock started and I am still waiting for 130 because it is back logged.

Other's in my situation who filed for 130 and then later updated, were better off, because all the time they were waiting counted towards 130. Since 130 for wife is immediate, they do process it right away. If I had to do it all over again, i would file the 130 right away and then update it. Because god only knows how long the citizenship process would take.

Althout lawyers would recommend against it, they say the less immigration touches your file the better you are. Go with your gutsy feeling, there is not right or wrong in this, in either way, u are risking 2 -3 months at most.

It depends how far you are. If you got your LPR thru a previous marriage ? And if u have any other issues with UCIS in the past. Since mines was literally less than 60 days away, and my local office, was processing applications with in 4 months I opted to wait. But guess what, usually they have same day oat (interview + oath) same day, but in my case they asked me to come back which added a month. So in total I lost 6 months, and then when I became a Citizen I filed right away which is when the clock started and I am still waiting for 130 because it is back logged.

Other's in my situation who filed for 130 and then later updated, were better off, because all the time they were waiting counted towards 130. Since 130 for wife is immediate, they do process it right away. If I had to do it all over again, i would file the 130 right away and then update it. Because god only knows how long the citizenship process would take.

Althout lawyers would recommend against it, they say the less immigration touches your file the better you are. Go with your gutsy feeling, there is not right or wrong in this, in either way, u are risking 2 -3 months at most.

I agree with caliguy77.

A buddy of mine applied for his spouse when he was still LPR because his naturalization was in limbo. He get it all sorted it out in July, became a citizen, and just last week he got his receipt from NVC.

---

08/13/2010: I-130 Mailed

08/16/2010: Delivered to Chicago Lockbox (Priority Date)

08/23/2010: NOA1 via email (CSC)

11/02/2010: File moved to TSC

02/10/2011: File moved BACK to CSC

02/11/2011: NOA2 via email (Approved!)

02/16/2011: NOA2 Hardcopy

02/28/2011: NVC Case number

03/04/2011: AOS fee paid

03/08/2011: AOS packet sent

03/08/2011: IV fee paid

03/18/2011: IV packet sent

03/31/2011: Case Complete at NVC

04/12/2011: Interview Date Assigned (5/23)

04/xx/2011: Package sent to Embassy

05/10/2011: Medical Completed

05/23/2011: Interview Date

Filed: Timeline

Thanks caliguy77 and DR AM for all your valuable inputs.

I agree with caliguy77.

A buddy of mine applied for his spouse when he was still LPR because his naturalization was in limbo. He get it all sorted it out in July, became a citizen, and just last week he got his receipt from NVC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.