venusfire503

applying under the 3 year marriage rule

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ok, in the VJ guide they cover documents needed to file. Under the "If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen" part, it mentions:

4. Documents referring to you and your spouse:

to_post_off.gifTax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children, or

to_post_off.gifInternal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past three years, or

to_post_off.gifAn IRS tax return transcript for the last three years.

It seems many people feel the need to send all the non-tax documents (option 1 above) even if they are sending IRS certified copies, or tax transcripts. It seems to be unnecessary, though. What I'm wondering is if these things (bank accounts, leases, mortgages, birth certificates of children) or any other things (like all those things we sent for the 2 and 10 year card) are necessary when going to the interview? Or are we actually done with "proof" once the packet is sent (short of RFE asking to send something we missed)?

I'm curious about this since we're planning to send our package very soon. Also, I hope if others read this, it will help clarify things for them as well.

Thanks!

venusfire

Edited by venusfire503

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: Other Timeline

The default setting is that you are done with "proof" as you stated it so eloquently. I would just send the required documents and, in regard to taxes, the tax transcripts. However, you never know who you gonna encounter when sitting in the hot chair, so it might be a good idea to just put a few items in your backpack when heading to the USCIS office. Can't hurt, and it's better than not having those and being asked for "proof." Take your house/apartment rent, a couple of bank statements from the past year, and one or two other documents, like a current credit card statement or car registration or AAA card, etc.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

The default setting is that you are done with "proof" as you stated it so eloquently. I would just send the required documents and, in regard to taxes, the tax transcripts. However, you never know who you gonna encounter when sitting in the hot chair, so it might be a good idea to just put a few items in your backpack when heading to the USCIS office. Can't hurt, and it's better than not having those and being asked for "proof." Take your house/apartment rent, a couple of bank statements from the past year, and one or two other documents, like a current credit card statement or car registration or AAA card, etc.

I heard pictures and things like that were a good idea too.... I guess it's kind of like visa/AOS/ROC all over again....

Thanks!

venusfire

met online May 2006

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

married January 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

check cashed 27 May 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is the easiest and simplest of all immigration applications. The list of evidence states A) OR B) OR C) - it doesn't state 'AND". Take them at their word, send only one of the documents requested under any 'or' listing. Do not send any more evidence with the actual application than is listed. They do not actually review the application until you show up for your interview so it is just as easy to bring along additional documents to the interview in case they might be needed rather than include them in the application. That is what I did - only included the exact items listed - no more and no less. I brought my file of supporting additional material with me to the interview but they were not at all interested in seeing any of it. She went through my application for the first time with me sitting there, going line by line and verifying everything, then she checked off on a check list the additional materials that were requested. I asked if she wanted to see the originals and she said no.

All they are trying to do is verify that you are eligible for the 3 year option (still legally married to the same US citizen), that you have been a good permanent resident (paid your taxes, no illegal activities) and that you meet the standard eligibility requirements (physical presence, continual residence, civics test, knowledge of English).

So, don't over think this - give them only what is requested and take the rest with you to the interview :) .

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

This is the easiest and simplest of all immigration applications. The list of evidence states A) OR B) OR C) - it doesn't state 'AND". Take them at their word, send only one of the documents requested under any 'or' listing. Do not send any more evidence with the actual application than is listed. They do not actually review the application until you show up for your interview so it is just as easy to bring along additional documents to the interview in case they might be needed rather than include them in the application. That is what I did - only included the exact items listed - no more and no less. I brought my file of supporting additional material with me to the interview but they were not at all interested in seeing any of it. She went through my application for the first time with me sitting there, going line by line and verifying everything, then she checked off on a check list the additional materials that were requested. I asked if she wanted to see the originals and she said no.

All they are trying to do is verify that you are eligible for the 3 year option (still legally married to the same US citizen), that you have been a good permanent resident (paid your taxes, no illegal activities) and that you meet the standard eligibility requirements (physical presence, continual residence, civics test, knowledge of English).

So, don't over think this - give them only what is requested and take the rest with you to the interview smile.gif .

Sounds good - thanks!

venusfire

met online May 2006

married January 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

check cashed 27 May 2010

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.