Moonandstar

Speaking of updating status...

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Something I've been a little curious about for the past few months, is what exactly is it they use at CIS/NVC to determine to use either GUZ or GZO methods? Draw A#'s from a hat?

Being a human, my mind can't help but wonder if there is a deeper, more sinister reasoning for this. In all likeliness, there isn't- it probably really does involve a pack of Budweiser and a hat. That's why I haven't asked this question earlier.

But while we're discussing outcomes and results- particularly at GZ- can anyone offer recent input on this?

I notice GZO numbers fly through USCIS and NVC, and only go even faster at the consulate with only a few questions, and sometimes even no questions, asked.

Could it be possible that GUZ numbers and GZO numbers are not created equally? What are some recent outcomes from those that had the consulate delay period of a few months (GUZ number of course) come interview day? Easy? Hard? White?

In a nutshell: is there likely any different outcome one could predict depending on the number they have?

Edited by Moonandstar

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

-Benjamin Franklin

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

GZO numbers are for I-130 petitions that were handled at NVC via Electronic Processing . Usually, within 10 days of having 'case complete' - NVC sets the appointment, and the casefile is ready to be opened at GUZ via the SAFEFILE system. No DHL required. Quick Turn-Around from 'NVC Complete' to 'Appointment Set Date', within 10 days. The USC Petitioner has to OPT IN for NVC Electronic Processing, as well, once the casefile has arrived at NVC.

A GUZ casefile number can be for K-1 visa, CR-1, IR-1, IR-5, but the distinction is that there is NO NVC Electronic Processing on these cases, no automatic use of SAFEFILE to transmit the casefile to GUZ IV Unit. Usually, the casefile is sent out via DHL, and GUZ IV unit waits, there is 'warehouse calendar' as well, even after the casefile is received, even prior to any interview date being set or even further action for P-3 (for a K-1). GUZ IV Unit sets all interview dates for casefiles with GUZ number.

SOME I-129F petitions are bundled up with SAFEFILE SOLELY, but is no way for the USC to have it tagged . Usually, the casefile is sent via SAFEFILE and DHL. Is small percentage for SAFEFILE Only, for K-1s and K-3s. GUZ IV still sets the interview date for these, as well.

As for yer posit about predicting outcome based on Casenumber TYPE - nope - impossible to predict, based solely on Casenumber TYPE.

One of the massive benefits for participating in NVC Electronic Filing for China-bound petitions - is that the 'dead zone wait time' of 2 to 6 months, between 'NVC OUT to GUZ open casefile' is eliminated. But has nothing to do with approval rates, nope, sorry.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

I have been wondering about this exact same question. My wife's physical materials have been received by the Guangzhou consulate via dhl for a couple weeks and I have also yet to hear about an interview date. It is frustrating to know they have all the physical materials needed to schedule an interview (which would seem to be preferable to scanned copies) and yet packet 4 is still delayed. Although in retrospect filing electronically was certainly the way to go, I can't help but feel penalized for being thorough.

I asked the consulate about this directly several day ago via their e-mail question form. If I receive a non-auto generated/substantive reply, I will gladly share it on the forum.

Timeline

toshkan - hey - are you calling DOS for case status? At this point, you might want to call every few days. Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Thanks for the encouragement. I just received a response to my GuangzhouIV email, saying that my wife's files were received there a few days ago, but that my wife will not likely have an interview until June. (June to July they say, based on the current schedule). We are rather disappointed, as our physical file left the NVC at the beginning of February. That will put our waiting time a 4+ months for an interview. I also wonder if the fact of my wife being an ethnic minority from Xinjiang may slow things down, given what happened in Urumqi last year. I hope not, but at the least, let this be a lesson never to do U.S. visas in China via regular mail.

Timeline

Thanks for the encouragement. I just received a response to my GuangzhouIV email, saying that my wife's files were received there a few days ago, but that my wife will not likely have an interview until June. (June to July they say, based on the current schedule). We are rather disappointed, as our physical file left the NVC at the beginning of February. That will put our waiting time a 4+ months for an interview. I also wonder if the fact of my wife being an ethnic minority from Xinjiang may slow things down, given what happened in Urumqi last year. I hope not, but at the least, let this be a lesson never to do U.S. visas in China via regular mail.

lesson? ya - I'd say a lesson about NVC EP, though.

Even the consulate receives the paper from DHL, it sits in a warehouse, waiting it's time in queue.

When you have a moment, call DOS Hotline, Get a Human (# in my profile) and inquire for case status.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

lesson? ya - I'd say a lesson about NVC EP, though.

Even the consulate receives the paper from DHL, it sits in a warehouse, waiting it's time in queue.

When you have a moment, call DOS Hotline, Get a Human (# in my profile) and inquire for case status.

Electronic processing through NVC can save 2 to 3 months. If you were electronic case complete at NVC today, I would expect a May interview. Complete February would have produced a March or April interview. Do the math.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Hey Moon - any feedback(s) ?

Timeline

I did the math. However, without there being international phone or internet in Xinjiang (where my wife is from) electronic processing was not a realistic possibility. I should have clarified that previously. Explaining this unusual (unprecedented?) situation to the Dept. of State did not elicit a helpful response either. Apparently, there is some sort of DOS preference for Tibetans though. In the meantime, all we can do is wait as our materials wind their way through the bureaucratic machinery.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hey Moon - any feedback(s) ?

Well, not really :)

If it really doesn't have anything to do with approval rates, then that's good news for me, cuz i got GUZ number..... just didn't want to get screwed twice in the same process, right? :lol:

Oh, and yea, i was really just talking about K-1s..... kinda knew that it was opt in for immigrant visas, but with the whole "that K-1 gets a GZO, and this K-1 gets a GUZ" thing going on, i wasn't sure if there was some deeper logic for it behind the scenes...

Edited by Moonandstar

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

-Benjamin Franklin

Filed: IR-2 Country: China
Timeline

The "GUZ" number is the NVC case number originally assigned, once you OPTIN to electronic filing then they change your case number from "GUZ" to "GZO". Just an FYI. :thumbs:

07/07/09 : Married

08/18/09: I-130 Sent to Chicago

08/20/09: I-130 Received by USCIS

08/25/09: NOA1

09/22/09: NOA2

10/05/09: Received case# and gave emails

10/07/09: Received DS-3032 and AOS email

10/09/09: Sent DS-3032 email to optin electronic filing

10/15/09: Paid both AOS & IV fees

10/16/09: Received email electronic filing accepted

10/18/09: Sent AOS via email

10/23/09: Received email that AOS was accepted and waiting for IV

10/27/09: Sent IV via email

11/10/09: Signon to payment failure

11/19/09: Received email for interview - December 14th

12/14/09: Approved for Visa

12/16/09: Received Visa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.