Ramsis

is this the right way to do it? - Egypt

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi guys, i wanted to ask you if what i think is close to the real thing.

- I am traveling to Egypt in September to get married.

- When i return to the US i will file a CR1 petition for my wife so i can bring her to the US.

- Once approved and case transferred to the Embassy in Cairo, she will receive a package in the mail requesting documents.

- She will send those documents via mail and wait for the embassy to set an interview.

My Questions are:

1- Is what i mentioned above correct?

2- Is a CR1 the fastest way i can bring her to the US?

3- Is it true that it can take from 6 to 9 month before she receives the visa on her passport?

4- Do i have to be there for her interview?

5- Will she have to pay for any more fees in Egypt?

Thank you So much for your help :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

- When i return to the US i will file a CR1 petition for my wife so i can bring her to the US.

- Once approved and case transferred to the Embassy in Cairo, she will receive a package in the mail requesting documents.

- She will send those documents via mail and wait for the embassy to set an interview.

My Questions are:

1- Is what i mentioned above correct?Basically yes

2- Is a CR1 the fastest way i can bring her to the US?It was for me to get my husband here.

3- Is it true that it can take from 6 to 9 month before she receives the visa on her passport?From the moment of filing to his receiving his visa was 7 months, but I heard that was definitely quicker than the norm.

4- Do i have to be there for her interview? You don't have to be, but I strongly suggest it.

5- Will she have to pay for any more fees in Egypt? Only for her medical and any vaccinations and also the money for the DHL envelope to deliver her the passport and visa.

Thank you So much for your help smile.gif

Once you have filed the I-130 application for your wife you will wait for an approval from the USCIS. You can research what is needed for the CR1 visa through LingChe's shortcuts and James' Shortcuts. There is plenty information that can help you. I can help you the best I can too!

Good luck with your pending wedding and bringing your wife to the US!

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. " – Herm Albright

POE: JFK New York: 04/18/2010
Receive Green Card in mail: 06/03/2010
Received SSN: 06/17/2010
Received NEW SS CARD: 07/20/2010
(to match GC!)
Got JOB!!: 09/27/2010
Got a better JOB!!: 11/20/2010

ROC Mailed: 02/16/2012
Check cashed: 02/24/2012
NOA received dated for: 02/22/2012
Biometrics dated:
04/18/2012
RFE:
10/23/2012
RFE Response Confirmed: 11/16/2012
Interview at Orlando office: 02/13/2013

2nd RFE!!: 10/03/13

2nd RFE Response: 10/09/2013

Update Biometrics: 10/13/2013 NEVER GOT 10 yr card!

N-400 mailed: 01/21/2014

Biometrics (N-400): 02/21/2014

event.png

Timeline

My Questions are:

1- Is what i mentioned above correct? correct if you are talking about K3 , but CR1 means she will not recieve any requests for documents and you are the one who have to file everything they need to the NVC after the I-130 has been approved by the USCIS , and the NVC will forward the case to the embassy and then the embassy will set an interview date.

2- Is a CR1 the fastest way i can bring her to the US? K3 is faster

3- Is it true that it can take from 6 to 9 month before she receives the visa on her passport? it depends from case to case but as your spouse is the female then it won't take more than usual for AP and name checks

4- Do i have to be there for her interview? not really

5- Will she have to pay for any more fees in Egypt? only 500 L.E for medical exam and vaccination.

Thank you So much for your help :)

and my thoughts to you is to take it step by step , now you have to be here first and get married , then your wife will have to translate the marraige certificate and authenticate it from the ministry of foreign affairs then send it to you in the US to start filing . GOOD LUCK :)

Timeline

Once you have filed the I-130 application for your wife you will wait for an approval from the USCIS. You can research what is needed for the CR1 visa through LingChe's shortcuts and James' Shortcuts. There is plenty information that can help you. I can help you the best I can too!

Good luck with your pending wedding and bringing your wife to the US!

yea I will take the translate marriage certificate before I leave Egypt hopefully.

I am new to this site what is james's shortcut and chunglee's shortcut....can anyone provide links please

disconnected says the K3 is faster but people are saying I can't petiotion for a K3 anymore!!! Because they stopped using it...is that true?

when I apply through CR1...will the NVC contact me and request the documents from me?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

yea I will take the translate marriage certificate before I leave Egypt hopefully.

I am new to this site what is james's shortcut and chunglee's shortcut....can anyone provide links please

disconnected says the K3 is faster but people are saying I can't petiotion for a K3 anymore!!! Because they stopped using it...is that true?

when I apply through CR1...will the NVC contact me and request the documents from me?

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1 This is your guide to following the first step to do once your marriage is complete and you return home. If you are going to Egypt its a great idea to take some of the papers you will need her signiture on, like the G-325 and I-130, it asks for name to be written in her native language. AAlso you can print off and take the visa center things as well, such as filling out the ds-230 it asks for her signiture on part one and 2 places it asks for name again in her native language. This all can save time. The more you read in the wiki and under example forms you will learn. Good luck

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

I plan on paying an attorney to to complete our paperwork...it seems less of a hassle that way... We are not beginning until next year but we are preparing now. As I keep studying and learning about the process,it seems that using an attorney is the best way to go in terms of having less complications. Good luck to all.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I plan on paying an attorney to to complete our paperwork...it seems less of a hassle that way... We are not beginning until next year but we are preparing now. As I keep studying and learning about the process,it seems that using an attorney is the best way to go in terms of having less complications. Good luck to all.

The process is easy to grasp if you study and research everything yourself. There are MANY MANY sucess stories of couples on VJ who have done the visa process by themselves. On the other hand, some couples who hired attorneys wasted loads of money and time on unncessary delays.

Aya

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

Timeline

thank you Aya&John...but I was meaning to hire an attorney just to complete the process for a set fee without spending loads of money over and over. We have to set a limit. And these services are starting to spring up more with a set price for less than it has typically been and they guarantee approval. of course I'm not that naiive to think they can control the decisions of the government from either of our countries. So sure its not exactly a guarantee...they're sales pitching sure.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

thank you Aya&John...but I was meaning to hire an attorney just to complete the process for a set fee without spending loads of money over and over. We have to set a limit. And these services are starting to spring up more with a set price for less than it has typically been and they guarantee approval. of course I'm not that naiive to think they can control the decisions of the government from either of our countries. So sure its not exactly a guarantee...they're sales pitching sure.

All I am saying is the process is not hard at all for you and your husband/future husband to do yourselves. All it takes is some research and study and being ready for the next steps, that's it. As far as I know the attorney can't do nothing when it comes to the consulate stage..it will be up to the consulate when to issue the beneficiary's visa.

You can start here by reading the CR-1 Visa Guide

Good luck!

Aya

Edited by Aya&John

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

Timeline

I agree with Aya, SamysCandy. It is not that difficult to do, specially with all the information that is available on here. If you have a set limit on what you want to spend to get your SO to the US, I would suggest doing the paperwork yourself. That should save you close to 1k I believe!good.gif

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. " – Herm Albright

POE: JFK New York: 04/18/2010
Receive Green Card in mail: 06/03/2010
Received SSN: 06/17/2010
Received NEW SS CARD: 07/20/2010
(to match GC!)
Got JOB!!: 09/27/2010
Got a better JOB!!: 11/20/2010

ROC Mailed: 02/16/2012
Check cashed: 02/24/2012
NOA received dated for: 02/22/2012
Biometrics dated:
04/18/2012
RFE:
10/23/2012
RFE Response Confirmed: 11/16/2012
Interview at Orlando office: 02/13/2013

2nd RFE!!: 10/03/13

2nd RFE Response: 10/09/2013

Update Biometrics: 10/13/2013 NEVER GOT 10 yr card!

N-400 mailed: 01/21/2014

Biometrics (N-400): 02/21/2014

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I also agree, the process isn't that difficult...especially if your going to start reading up on it now.:star: Good Luck :star:

NVC 2010

Apr. 05 - Case No. Assigned & eMails Given to NVC Operator

Apr. 06 - DS3032 (VJ format)eMail sent

Apr. 08 - DS3032 Accepted & Invoice Bill(eMail)

Apr. 09 - Paid both AOS eBill & IV eBill

Apr. 13 - AOS & IV status "Paid"/Received Cover Sheets eMail), AOS Pkg. mailed :)

Apr. 14 - DS230 Instruction Pkt Received (eMail)

Apr. 16 - AOS Pkt Received UPS Confirmation

Apr. 22 - DS230 Pkt mailed from Egypt by Husband

Apr. 24 - AOS entered into AVR, Apr. 28 No RFE :)

Apr. 29 - DS230 entered into AVR

May 09 - RFE per AVR :(

May 11 - RFE Mailed, May 13 Delivered, May 20 AVR Updated

May 28 - Case Complete per AVR

July 15 - Interview Date, Cairo APPROVED!!

May 26 - August 2: In Egypt with my sweet husband Mohammed :D

USCIS 2010

Jan. 20 - I-130 Sent

Jan. 27 - NOA1

Apr. 01 - NOA2 Approval(email/txt msg @ 1am)

Your I-130 was approved in 63 days from your NOA1 date.

Dec. 20 2009 - Married in Cairo, Egypt.

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Thanks to all of you for your advice. we are definitely gonna take everything said and learned into consideration to get the ball rolling. I'm sure we will be getting to know many of you. blessings all around to everyone...have great weekend.

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I am not familiar with the CR-1 process, as we went the K3 route, but you are correct in that K3 is not offered any longer. I would count on the entire process taking 9-12 months, not 6-9, including time for "AP" after the interview. Before you get married in Egypt, you'll have to go to the US Consulate and get permission to marry, and you'll probably spend a few days running around to different Egyptian ministries paying fees and getting things notarized, stamped, etc. That can be confusing if you or your partner are not familiar with Egypt's systems.

You don't have to be there for her interview, but some people think that it helps if you are. If there's any way you can arrange it, it couldn't hurt.

Edited by amysaid

Timeline

Amy... I need to go to the consulate to get permission to marry???? i never heard that one before? I was going to put my citizenship as an American in the marriage certificate i heard it might speed up the process when it shows that i am an American in the translated Egyptian marriage certificate.

But i did not know that i have to go to the American consulate in Egypt to get permission to marry?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.