Maggie_Kenyth

MAINE POE

7 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if this is where I am suppose to post this.. lol. I was thinking of having my POE at Maine.

I have a document printed from the American Vet Medical Assoc website, article for state legislative resources dated Nov. 2009 that states for maine if my cats are not for exhibition they do not require a certificate of vet inspection.

Do you think that is sufficient or should I try and find something from the government of Maine's website? Has anyone else crossed with their cats through maine?

Also I will have a list of my items, we're travelling by car. Besides the list, and the documents/visa I will have. Is there anything else I should request for my move? The car is not mine and it will not be staying in the states either. My dad is driving me, will he be required to show proof that he is returning?

Also I bought my wedding dress just recently, from the states, and paid a customs fee etc. I will bring that.. but I should not be charged duty on that right?

Thanks for the help

Edited by Maggie_Kenyth

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Kenyth & Maggie

VSC:

I-129F Sent - Sep. 11th, 2009

I-129F Received - Sep. 15th, 2009

NOA1 - Sep. 20th, 2009

NOA2 Email - Oct. 22nd, 2009

NVC Received - Oct. 27th 2009

NVC Sent to Consulate - Oct. 27th, 2009

Consulate Received - Oct. 29th, 2009

NOA2 Hardcopy - Oct. 30th, 2009

NVC Letter Received - Nov. 09, 2009

Montreal Sent Packet 3 - Nov. 09, 2009

Packet 3 Received: Nov. 16, 2009

Packet 3 Sent: Dec. 01, 2009

Packet 3 Received by Montreal: Dec. 09, 2009

Received Interview Date from DOS: January 25th, 2010

Packet 4 Received: Feb. 1st, 2010

Trip to Montreal: March 31, 2010

Medical: April 1st, 2010 (Medisys)

Medical: APPROVED - April 6th, 2010

Interview Date: April 8th, 2010

Interview: APPROVED

Visa Received: April 15, 2010

POE - Maine: April 18,2010

Wedding: April 25th, 2010

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

AOS Process

Date Filed AOS & EAD: December 16, 2010

NOA Date AOS & EAD: December 21, 2010

Bio. Appt.: January 20, 2011 (Indiana)

AOS Transfer to CSC: January 24, 2011

Approval EAD: February 15, 2011

Approval AOS: February 22, 2011

EAD Received: February 25, 2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You need to look at the Federal Regulations.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I may be wrong but I believe the following to be accurate.

The importation of cats and dogs is regulated by the CDC. See below (some states may specifically have additional requirements beyond what the CDC recommends.

Bringing a Cat into the United States

A general certificate of health is not required by CDC for entry of pet cats into the United States, although some airlines or states may require them. However, pet cats are subject to inspection at ports of entry and may be denied entry into the United States if they have evidence of an infectious disease that can be transmitted to humans. If a cat appears to be ill, further examination by a licensed veterinarian at the owner's expense might be required at the port of entry.

Cats are not required to have proof of rabies vaccination for importation into the United States. However, some states require vaccination of cats for rabies, so it is a good idea to check with state and local health authorities at your final destination.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

I may be wrong but I believe the following to be accurate.

The importation of cats and dogs is regulated by the CDC. See below (some states may specifically have additional requirements beyond what the CDC recommends.

Bringing a Cat into the United States

A general certificate of health is not required by CDC for entry of pet cats into the United States, although some airlines or states may require them. However, pet cats are subject to inspection at ports of entry and may be denied entry into the United States if they have evidence of an infectious disease that can be transmitted to humans. If a cat appears to be ill, further examination by a licensed veterinarian at the owner's expense might be required at the port of entry.

Cats are not required to have proof of rabies vaccination for importation into the United States. However, some states require vaccination of cats for rabies, so it is a good idea to check with state and local health authorities at your final destination.

Where did u find that? I need to know what i have to do to import my dog to the USA! It's a chihuahua, and we're gonna move with my car!

01/12/2011: GreenCard approved!!!!

Green card expiration date: 01/05/2013
Sent ROC package to VSC: 11/16/2012
NOA1: 11/20/2012

Approval: 04/29/2013!!!!

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not sure about cats, but for my dogs all i needed was to bring and updated rabies certificate. They just glanced at it and that was it. It has to have the type of vaccine and brand name on it as well as the date it was given and the dogs prominant breed on the certificate, ie: my lab / dane mix is more lab then anything so it had to show Lab on it.

HWDWm6.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I moved my 6 cats with me from Ontario to Georgia. They had no requirements for the border except that if they looked unhealthy upon inspection the border authorities have the right to call a vet at my expense and have the animals checked out. I did have copies of all of their health records from my vet (to pass to their new vet here) and they were up to date on all of their shots, including rabies - but it wasn't required. You should have no trouble bringing your cats into the US. When you get to the state you are moving to, check into their requirements. Almost all states do have a mandatory rabies vaccination requirement but it isn't required at the federal level. Dogs do need to have proof of an up to date rabies shot, however, to enter the US.

No, you won't have to pay duty on the dress since you are bringing it back to the US - have the receipt showing where it was purchased. You may be able to claim a refund of the duty paid to Canada for the dress since it isn't remaining in Canada. Check with Neiks about that - she is a Canadian border guard and is more familiar with things like this.

Don't be surprised if they don't even look at the list of your belongings - I had mine ready as well - along with the phytosanitary certificates for the houseplants I brought - and no one looked at any of the documentation:-).

Have a good POE - you sound like you are good to go.

Here is the link to import requirements for pets: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_import/animal_imports_pets.shtml

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

thanks everyone, I really appreciate the information and helpful tips!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Kenyth & Maggie

VSC:

I-129F Sent - Sep. 11th, 2009

I-129F Received - Sep. 15th, 2009

NOA1 - Sep. 20th, 2009

NOA2 Email - Oct. 22nd, 2009

NVC Received - Oct. 27th 2009

NVC Sent to Consulate - Oct. 27th, 2009

Consulate Received - Oct. 29th, 2009

NOA2 Hardcopy - Oct. 30th, 2009

NVC Letter Received - Nov. 09, 2009

Montreal Sent Packet 3 - Nov. 09, 2009

Packet 3 Received: Nov. 16, 2009

Packet 3 Sent: Dec. 01, 2009

Packet 3 Received by Montreal: Dec. 09, 2009

Received Interview Date from DOS: January 25th, 2010

Packet 4 Received: Feb. 1st, 2010

Trip to Montreal: March 31, 2010

Medical: April 1st, 2010 (Medisys)

Medical: APPROVED - April 6th, 2010

Interview Date: April 8th, 2010

Interview: APPROVED

Visa Received: April 15, 2010

POE - Maine: April 18,2010

Wedding: April 25th, 2010

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

AOS Process

Date Filed AOS & EAD: December 16, 2010

NOA Date AOS & EAD: December 21, 2010

Bio. Appt.: January 20, 2011 (Indiana)

AOS Transfer to CSC: January 24, 2011

Approval EAD: February 15, 2011

Approval AOS: February 22, 2011

EAD Received: February 25, 2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.