Grime

I-134 and I-864 question

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi,

I am a bit confused here with the I-134 and I-864 forms,

I am currently an unemployed student, all I have to prove income is my tax returns, bank statements, and I can also provide investment information.

I make my income on investments, I currently have bonds that provide me far more then 125% of poverty income. 2009 being near 80k, and 2008 around 40k...though, my 2007 tax return only shows around 13k

Do not know if it makes any difference, but I do own my own home.

My question is...will that suffice? Would I need a co-sponsor since I cannot prove employment?

Thanks.

Edited by Grime

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Also want to add, I had to put "None" for all where it states "Applicant's employment last five years" on my G-325.

I really hope I won't have a problem with all this. Although my parents are more then willing to co-sponsor if they have to.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Sounds like you have plenty of assets to sponsor your fiancee, assuming it is just the two of you. I would include the house; not strictly needed but if using assets, having more is always a good thing.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Moving thread from K1 forum to consular forum, as the I 134 is needed at interview.

FWIW, K1s do not use the I 864 until adjustment of status.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hi,

I am a bit confused here with the I-134 and I-864 forms,

I am currently an unemployed student, all I have to prove income is my tax returns, bank statements, and I can also provide investment information.

I make my income on investments, I currently have bonds that provide me far more then 125% of poverty income. 2009 being near 80k, and 2008 around 40k...though, my 2007 tax return only shows around 13k

Do not know if it makes any difference, but I do own my own home.

My question is...will that suffice? Would I need a co-sponsor since I cannot prove employment?

Thanks.

Sounds like your passive income is sufficient but I would include and document the assets as well. No need for a cosponsor now with the I-134 or a joint sponsor later with the I-864.

For the I-134 I would indicate your occupation as Private Investor and state your income from the most recent tax return. After marriage when you use the I-864, check B for self-employed and use the same occupation again.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sounds like your passive income is sufficient but I would include and document the assets as well. No need for a cosponsor now with the I-134 or a joint sponsor later with the I-864.

For the I-134 I would indicate your occupation as Private Investor and state your income from the most recent tax return. After marriage when you use the I-864, check B for self-employed and use the same occupation again.

I apologize for hijacking this thread, but Pushbrk, I'm in a similar situation. I have approximately $180K in cash assets and am by choice unemployed and on hiatus (previously was a DoD contractor in Iraq) with the intention of attending graduate school once we settle in the U.S. And we're within a week or two of our K-1 interview.

1) Is it safe to simply state I am unemployed? I initially declared myself "self-employed" on the G-325A as I had am a contractor and intended to do some consulting work. Which did not happen, and I cannot document an income at present. Is this something I need to clarify for the I-134 now and later the I-864?

2) From your experience, what is the likelihood I'll need to be concerned about the I-134 in Manila and the AOS later down the road with my current assets?

Appreciate it, sir!

17-Jan-10 - Filed K-1

26-Apr-10 - Approved

06-May-10 - Entered POE

24-May-10 - Married

22-Jul-10 - Filed AOS

24-Sep-10 - Biometrics Appointment

18-Nov-10 - Approved

29-Nov-10 - Received Green Card

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.