6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have a question. I filed my I-751 separately as I am divorced with my USC wife.I am currently with someone who have plans of getting married.We dated while on the midst of my divorce although that was not the reason me & my ex divorced.My question is can you get married although your I-751 is still on processed?Or are there complications that might arise when I enter into a marriage with my I-751 waiting for approval? Thank you.

I have a question. I filed my I-751 separately as I am divorced with my USC wife.I am currently with someone who have plans of getting married.We dated while on the midst of my divorce although that was not the reason me & my ex divorced.My question is can you get married although your I-751 is still on processed?Or are there complications that might arise when I enter into a marriage with my I-751 waiting for approval? Thank you.

We have the same case, Im sure some of the members here will reply on this question..

Goodluck to us! I still dont know what to do :unsure:

In most jurisdictions (all US jurisdictions of which I'm aware), marriage laws are separate from immigration laws. So yes, you can get married any time you want, and your marriage will be legally binding, regardless of your immigration status.

Whether a marriage will help, hurt, or have no effect on your immigration case is a separate question, and one which becomes complicated depending on circumstances. In your case, a favorable adjudication of your I-751 depends on you demonstrating that the first marriage was entered into in good faith. Whether a quick second marriage to another person would have an effect on the adjudicator's decision would depend on many factors, including how that second marriage fit in with the broad picture painted by the totality of evidence you have submitted.

It may be worth a quick consultation with an attorney to discuss your options. In particular, what do you plan to do if your I-751 is denied? If your record already has a black mark from a denied I-751, it may be difficult or perhaps even impossible to use a second marriage to get status.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

My attorney is working on all my paperworks, I mean my I-751. I have all the evidences of my previous marriage ranging from joint ITR, Military dependent, health and life insurance (beneficiary), photos, bills, cards,joint bank accounts, affidavits from her & families & friends etc..I'm optimistic (fingers crossed) that I'll get approved but just in case, the wedding will still push through (if possible) & "I'll cross the bridge when I get there".

My attorney is working on all my paperworks, I mean my I-751. I have all the evidences of my previous marriage ranging from joint ITR, Military dependent, health and life insurance (beneficiary), photos, bills, cards,joint bank accounts, affidavits from her & families & friends etc..I'm optimistic (fingers crossed) that I'll get approved but just in case, the wedding will still push through (if possible) & "I'll cross the bridge when I get there".

I don't believe that remarrying while an I-751 waiver is pending should pose a problem. The issue arises when a beneficiary remarries after a denial and while in removal proceedings.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

HI! Yes you gonna be absolutely fine with being Approved on the I-751.

But i dont know,if i were you i would wait with getting married till you gonna be approved as its not gonna take longer then 6 month usually.

I also suggest to you to ask your lawyer who is working with your I-751 Petition right now ,as she or he will be able to give you a much proper advice about if the marriage would be a good thing right now.

Best wishes. (F)

Sincerely.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.