laica

K1 evidence questions

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi -- I have a few questions about K1 evidence that I want to confirm before putting together the final packet... I apologize if these are obvious questions!

First, I remember reading a VJ page that had very specific descriptions of what evidence to use (i.e. "send about 4-5 pictures spanning different time periods..") but can't seem to find it now... can anyone help me out? Also, what constitutes "hard evidence" of having met... are passport stamps enough? (I also have printable itineraries but didn't keep my old boarding passes)

Also, I have an issue with some letters... most of our "snail mail" letters were sent during a period where his family was temporarily renting an apartment (while their house was under construction). This was a short-term situation and the apartment doesn't appear on his list of residence for the last five years. Do you think this could pose a problem?

I am under the impression that documents such as letters are not REQUIRED to be translated but that many people do so anyway... correct me if I'm wrong?

Also, should I label specific pieces of evidence (i.e. print out Skype records or photocopy passport stamps and write in pen at the top of the sheet what it is)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

BY final packet I assume you are refering to preparing the I129F petition?

Hard evidence would be photos of the two of you togeteer with any supporting documents that can show time and place.

An itinerary generally does not show proof of anything however if you provide an itinerary and passport stamps that substaniate the itinerary that should be fine.

Letters are more towards "proof of relationship". Again they show no proof of meeting, only that you have maintained correspondance. They are good to have and cannot hurt to send some.

The goal for the petition is to prove that the two of you have met within the past two years in person. Providing additionl proof of ongoing relationship is good also. Many people provide varying amounts of "proof of relationship" at the petition stage. The bigger burden regarding proof of relationship will be at the interview.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi -- I have a few questions about K1 evidence that I want to confirm before putting together the final packet... I apologize if these are obvious questions!

First, I remember reading a VJ page that had very specific descriptions of what evidence to use (i.e. "send about 4-5 pictures spanning different time periods..") but can't seem to find it now... can anyone help me out? Also, what constitutes "hard evidence" of having met... are passport stamps enough? (I also have printable itineraries but didn't keep my old boarding passes)

Also, I have an issue with some letters... most of our "snail mail" letters were sent during a period where his family was temporarily renting an apartment (while their house was under construction). This was a short-term situation and the apartment doesn't appear on his list of residence for the last five years. Do you think this could pose a problem?

I am under the impression that documents such as letters are not REQUIRED to be translated but that many people do so anyway... correct me if I'm wrong?

Also, should I label specific pieces of evidence (i.e. print out Skype records or photocopy passport stamps and write in pen at the top of the sheet what it is)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

You probably remember reading about the photos (and other evidence) in the guides.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide#proof

Passports stamps are good primary evidence, as would be boarding passes if you had them. They prove you actually made the trip. Hotel receipts, ATM receipts, and receipts of other expenses in the foreign country, are also good, especially if they have your name on them. Even better are receipts that have both you and your fiancee's name. Photos are considered secondary evidence. Provide at least a few. Follow the guides for labeling each photo.

Itineraries are pretty much useless. They are easy to produce (I can create one in about two minutes on orbitz or travelocity), and they don't prove you actually made the trip. Payment receipts from a travel agent proving that you bought tickets are only slightly better than itineraries, since they prove you bought tickets but not that you made the trip. However, there may be cases where providing this proof is helpful. Some consulates like to see evidence that the petitioner paid the expenses of maintaining the relationship, and not friends or family of the beneficiary.

Letters and Skype records are proof of relationship, and not proof of having met. They aren't required with the petition, and the USCIS adjudicator probably isn't even going to read them. Since they aren't required evidence, there's really no requirement that they be translated. You can submit them with the petition if you want to improve the chances that the consular officer will actually see them. If you want the consular officer to read them, and they aren't in either English or the local language, then you can get them translated.

It would be a good idea to label your evidence so that the adjudicator knows what he/she is looking at.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Thanks to both of you for your input! Yes, I am working on the I-129F. I am the petitioner.

Speaking of money... I know at this point there is no requirement to provide evidence of financial support. However, I am a student and my G-325A shows a lot of "Unemployed (full time student)". Should I mention at this point that I have a co-sponsor or will this truly not matter until the next step?

Also, regarding G-325A addresses... what exactly constitutes residence? I have only been using addresses where I have been, for example, legally registered as a resident (when studying abroad), or the address that would appear on my driver's license or voter registration. i.e. no college dorms. What have other people done in this case?

Timeline

Thanks to both of you for your input! Yes, I am working on the I-129F. I am the petitioner.

Speaking of money... I know at this point there is no requirement to provide evidence of financial support. However, I am a student and my G-325A shows a lot of "Unemployed (full time student)". Should I mention at this point that I have a co-sponsor or will this truly not matter until the next step?

Also, regarding G-325A addresses... what exactly constitutes residence? I have only been using addresses where I have been, for example, legally registered as a resident (when studying abroad), or the address that would appear on my driver's license or voter registration. i.e. no college dorms. What have other people done in this case?

You'll need the co-sponsor at the interview, when the affidavit of support is submitted. You don't need to submit anything about this with the petition. It's not relevant.

Use your common sense about the residences. If you lived someplace for more than a month or two, or if you received mail there, or if there is any chance of any public document showing you residing at that address, then you should list it. If you got so much as a traffic ticket showing the dorm address, then you should probably list it. Make sure the entire 5 year period is covered, without any gaps.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

You'll need the co-sponsor at the interview, when the affidavit of support is submitted. You don't need to submit anything about this with the petition. It's not relevant.

Use your common sense about the residences. If you lived someplace for more than a month or two, or if you received mail there, or if there is any chance of any public document showing you residing at that address, then you should list it. If you got so much as a traffic ticket showing the dorm address, then you should probably list it. Make sure the entire 5 year period is covered, without any gaps.

Hi, Do you know if you are guaranteed a RFE if there's a gap in the work history or if it doesn't go back a full 5 years?

03/03/2010 - I129F Sent

03/10/2010 - NOA1

03/22/2010 - Touched

05/01/2010 - Touched

05/03/2010 - Touched

05/04/2010 - NOA2

05/11/2010 - NVC Sent Case to Embassy

05/12/2010 - Embassy Received

06/17/2010 - Packet 3 received (1st one lost in the mail)

06/30/2010 - Packet 3 sent to Embassy

07/02/2010 - Embassy received Packet 3

08/20/2010 - Packet 4 and Interview Date received

09/14/2010 - Interview.....Approved

09/21/2010 - Visa received

12/27/2010 - Entry into the USA. POE Los Angeles

Timeline

Hi, Do you know if you are guaranteed a RFE if there's a gap in the work history or if it doesn't go back a full 5 years?

You're never "guaranteed" an RFE. People have left required documents out of their petition packages and not gotten RFE's. The USCIS adjudicators are human beings, and they overlook stuff just as often as the rest of us. Whether or not you get an RFE depends on how closely that particular adjudicator is scrutinizing petition packages on that particular day.

The form does say "if none, so state", implying you're supposed to account for periods of unemployment. I remember reading in the RFE thread people advising not to leave gaps or overlapping entries, but I don't recall if anyone actually got an RFE for this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.