homeagain5

I-130 vs VWP and AOS - ASAP!

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello and VJ and apologies if this is in the wrong place...

I am an American Citizen, living in the UK for 13+ years now. I have a British husband to whom I've been married for almost 8 years and we have two kids between us, aged 7 and almost 1.

Due to family tragedy Stateside, we very much want to move back to the US, and as quickly as possible. I have search and searched the internet and got a brief answer from justanswer online but was wondering if someone here could put my mind at rest either way...

I am trying to decide whether to file the petition here (in the UK) for my husband and wait until he is issued a green card before making plans to go back to the US, or to fly over, with him using the VWP and after a couple of months (but within the 90 days), apply for AOS. I have been told specifically the latter is possible, and I have seen a few bits online that suggest that, but first-hand feedback would make me feel better.

The reason for deciding to do it that way is because we do not want to have to wait around here for an indefinite period while things get processed. Once the process is started, you just have to sit and wait as long as it takes, and I really want to get home to my dad, but don't want to split up the family, especially with a baby. He is my spouse, we are already long married... it certainly isn't a marriage of convenience with two kids. The children have British passports, but US birthright. So if we do the I-130 route, I also have to do the declaration of their births abroad and get them SSNs and US Passports before travelling. If we go the VWP route for my husband, I would do the same for the kids and then register them from Stateside.

So, what is the concensus?

Cheers for your help!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

The latter is visa fraud if you enter on VWP with prior intent to stay and adjust your status. It is not a recommended course of action as it carries a lifetime ban due to misrepresentation if the AOS is denied. It is also against the VJ terms of service to encourage illegal immigration activities. There is no appeal for a denied AOS from VWP.

If you both live in the UK together, DCF would be the best, cheapest and easiest option for you. You will be granted a 10 year GC (IR-1 visa) since you've been married for more than 2 years.

Good luck. Read up on the guides. :thumbs:

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The latter is visa fruad. You say you don't want to separate the family - the result of arriving on the VWP with intent to immigrate can result in a lifetime ban from the US and thus, separate your family. If this is what you want to avoid, do things the legal way. File directly with the consulate in the UK and that is the quickest way to making your UK husband a legal resident of the US. It may take longer than your VWP - AOS but it is the far better option in the long run.

Sorry about your situation.

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

File in the UK, the DCF doesn't take as long as the other process. Don't try to fraud the US immigration, never.

You guys can also ask for a tourist visa in the mean time if you need to be in the States for 90 days during the process. I know that they say that they will not grant those during the process but they did it for me. All they wanted to know was that I was not going to try to trick them.

DCF is my opinion

Married Jan 2007

I-130

03/21/2007 sent to NSC - 06/18/2007 NOA2 - 89 days

NVC stage

07/24/2007 e-mailed DS-3032 choice of agent

01/04/2008 Approved - visa in my hand! 289 days

01/13/2008 Entry the US

10/15/2009 I-751

12/03/2009 Biometrics

1/06/2010 Removal of conditions approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.